Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow OCNers,

I plan on ordering a GTX670, with distant plans down the road to upgrade to 2xGTX 670's in SLI. I would like to know if I have to upgrade my PSU as well? Currently, I'm using a Corsair TX650. Everything I'm reading says that, at load, the 670 pulls about 180 watts. That would leave a cool 290 watts for the rest of the system and overclocking if I SLI 2 of them together. Although I think this is plenty, there's one article from anandTech that says a single GTX 670 pulls 300+ watts. I'm not sure if this was a mistake on their part, but I've seen dozens of other benchmarks pegging it's power usage at 180 watts.

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
3,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor_Jesus View Post

Hello fellow OCNers,

I plan on ordering a GTX670, with distant plans down the road to upgrade to 2xGTX 670's in SLI. I would like to know if I have to upgrade my PSU as well? Currently, I'm using a Corsair TX650. Everything I'm reading says that, at load, the 670 pulls about 180 watts. That would leave a cool 290 watts for the rest of the system and overclocking if I SLI 2 of them together. Although I think this is plenty, there's one article from anandTech that says a single GTX 670 pulls 300+ watts. I'm not sure if this was a mistake on their part, but I've seen dozens of other benchmarks pegging it's power usage at 180 watts.

Let me know what you guys think.
Your psu will be fine even with both cards overclocked to the gills

·
Registered
573 Posts
Quote:
Although I think this is plenty, there's one article from anandTech that says a single GTX 670 pulls 300+ watts. I'm not sure if this was a mistake on their part, but I've seen dozens of other benchmarks pegging it's power usage at 180 watts.
As with other similar articles, that chart shows power draw for the entire system from the wall, not the GPU alone. To answer your original question, you can even do GTX 680 SLI on that PSU so you're easily good with 670's.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to hear. Wanted to know before I sleeve my PSU and possibly ruin any re-sale value. Thank you for resolving that that was power out of the wall. I must not have read that clearly.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
3,893 Posts
The most I've seen my cards pull with my ivy running @ 4.7 was 628 watts, and that was furmark, ive never seen it hit 600 in a gaming situation, and that's all from the wall, and its only 80 bronze, so roughly 15-20% less real power usage

1 - 5 of 5 Posts