Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now
So I finally got home and it's time to get the tools out. My build now consists of two 360mm radiators with one hanging off to the side and the other one mounted on the inside of the top. The top Black Ice Pro III Compact has three Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000 RPM pushing with three thin Medium Speed Yate Loons pushing. The MCR320 has a single Medium Speed Yate Loon pushing.
P1010010.jpg

P1010011.jpg

The Idea
This was originally inspired by another OCN build which I just spent the last 20 min looking for but can't find the log but here it goes. My plan for now is to remove the bottom hard drive cage and mount the MCR320 on its side (TJ07 style) with push pull fans. A 360mm long hole will be cut into the side panel and fitted with a homemade mesh grill.
P1010012.jpg

Mesh Grill
The idea is quite simple and hopefully will come out well. Since this is on a tight budget I'm going to be making the grill myself. After cutting into the size panel and softening up any edges with a jewelers file I'm going to line the edge with heat shrink. When I sleeved my powersupply I mistakenly got 1/16" heat shrink. So the plan is to cut that and use it as U-Channel. The mesh itself will be whatever I can find at the local Home Depot. It will be held on by 8 small bolts with washers on the other side pinching the mesh in place against the side panel.

Old Parts
Black Ice Pro III Compact
MCR320
OCZ Hydropulse 800L/min
EK Supreme HF Full Gold
EK Full Copper/Plexi GTX 470
Swiftech Micro Res
3x Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000 RPM
3x Thin Medium Speed Yate Loon
1x Medium Speed Yate Loon

New Parts
2x Medium Speed Yate Loon (Arrived)
2x EK Compression Fitting (Arrived)
3x Koolance 3/8" ID Blue Tubing (Arrived)

Tools
Dremel
Jigsaw
1/16" Heat Shrink
Jewelers File
Drill

Updates:
Update 1
Update 2
Update 3
Update 4
Update 5
Update 6

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Looks like an interesting idea. Be cool if it all fits nicely.

I think you have the manufacturer of one of the rads mislabeled. It's a HWL Black Ice Pro, not Swiftech
smile.gif

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;13517434
subbed, this will be sweet.
Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by badatgames18;13517485
what's the depth of the case? will the side panel be able to close?

very interesting!
I'm not sure of the depth but I actually saw another build that did the same thing and it fit perfectly between the front bezel and their HX850 so I'm pretty sure it should be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R00ST3R;13517540
Looks like an interesting idea. Be cool if it all fits nicely.

I think you have the manufacturer of one of the rads mislabeled. It's a HWL Black Ice Pro, not Swiftech
smile.gif
This is the radiator right here but I'm now not sure who makes it. I thought it was Swiftech but I'm not seeing anything other than Black Ice.
confused.gif

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4185

[Edit]
I just deleted the Swiftech part in the OP to be sure.

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis.au;13519468
Will be watching this thread closely, i was contemplating on what case to get for my w/c build, if your 360 mod works, ill be ordering my self a 700D
smile.gif

EDIT: woo first post after waiting 2 months
wheee.gif
wheee.gif
Thanks. Depending on the budget you can probably make this mod look a lot better with a nice fan grill and full compression fittings but I'm on a college budget which is obviously not very high. Right now I'm looking to see what else I can do to this thing while I'm home. If anyone has any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update 1
I got my package today which is nice so I can finally start cutting stuff up and putting things together and so far I've managed to sleeve one of the two Yate Loons that arrived
biggrin.gif

P1010001.jpg

The package also contained some tubing and some very sexy compression fittings (Big spender oh yea)
P1010006.jpg

I should have a few more updates throughout today

[Edit]
So I was taking apart my loop and I pull my GPU out and its not looking good at all...
P1010001-1.jpg

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update 2
So I got most of the work done today and have everything mounted and ready to go. The GPU block was pretty dirty but I cleaned a bit of it out. My main issue is that I don't have very much MX-3 left so I didn't want to take off the GPU block and not have enough TIM for both it and the CPU which needs to be remounted. I did take the top plexi part off and cleaned it and it looks pretty good.

Here are a few pics of today's work:
P1010002.jpg

Here it is all stripped down and dirty.
P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

I drilled out the bottom four rivets and I had to pull out the dremel on the top four. They actually came out very easily. After a quick dusting and cleaning it looked great. I was actually surprised at our sturdy it was even though the bottom hard drive cage had been removed.

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update 3
So I put everything back together. It's an incredibly tight fit for that radiator at the bottom. I had to get the radiator in there first and then bold the fans on since it wouldn't go in with the fans already attached.
P1010005.jpg

I'm pretty sure trying to get those stupid fans bolted on took longer than anything else simply because of a lack of tools. I don't have a skinny enough screw driver that is also long enough to fit from one side of the fan to another. here are a few pics of the loop all set up and wired. I put the two new compression fittings on the CPU block and they look simply beautiful. Once I get more money I'm going to buy some more fittings so I can replace all my fittings with the compressions so I don't have those ugly clamps everywhere.
P1010006-1.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010010-1.jpg

The worst part of all builds as to be cable management... All that has to somehow get hidden by the side panel. I finally did but since I don't have a modular power supply it isn't very pretty.
P1010011-1.jpg

There it is all ready to go. Just need some distilled water and cut up the side panel.

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update 4
Everything is ready to go except for the weather. Due to some nice rainy clouds I won't be cutting anything today. I did manage to mask out where I'm going to be cutting so when the weather clears I'll be ready to go. I should also be able to make a run to the hard ware store and buy a few things as well as pick up some distilled water. Regardless of if my side panel is cut out or not I'm hoping to have it up and running tonight so I can play some battlefield.
2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update 5
Made a little trip to the hard ware store and got some goodies.
7.jpg

8.jpg

Here is the start of the problems... So I cut out the side panel and ran into all the usual snags but overall it looks pretty good right now. Only issue is that while filing down the edges I managed to make a nice long scratch on the outside of the case which kinda sucks :/
6.jpg

Here it is with all the mesh getting pinched onto the side panel.
9.jpg

10.jpg

And here is the first major snag. When I measured out the window it looks like I didn't leave enough room for the bolts so they aren't clearing the front panel lip. I filed it down some more after I took this pic so it doesn't look too bad.
11.jpg

And now for the major snag. Looks like the screws I've been using since I first got this radiator managed to clip something and now my radiator is leaking.
12.jpg

And here is the culprit. When I get it out again I'm going to see if I can get a nice bead of solder to close up the gap, pressurize it, then dip it under water to see if I can get it back up and running. Until then I'm just going to run with the bottom radiator.
13.jpg

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update 6
That radiator had a nice 1/8" hole where a screw had gone too deep. So I got the propane torch, flux, and some solder out and went to work. Overall it came out pretty well.
P1010004-1.jpg

P10100062.jpg

After everything I put everything back together and finally I'M DONE!!!
P10100102.jpg

P1010009-1.jpg

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,344 Posts
sub'd

I believe SaltWaterCooled did something like this, but I there have been many mods done to the 700/800D, including the bottom rads whether flat or vertical.

Is it possible maybe my build give you a teeny winsy amount of inspiration
tongue.gif
:D:)
cheers.gif
grouphug.gif
thumb.gif
drunken.gif
thumbsupsmiley.png

edit: I'm well familiar with rad punctures, I have a 3rd RX480 rad with six punctures
frown.gif

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wermad;13582194
sub'd

I believe SaltWaterCooled did something like this, but I there have been many mods done to the 700/800D, including the bottom rads whether flat or vertical.

Is it possible maybe my build give you a teeny winsy amount of inspiration
tongue.gif
:D:)
cheers.gif
grouphug.gif
thumb.gif
drunken.gif
thumbsupsmiley.png

edit: I'm well familiar with rad punctures, I have a 3rd RX480 rad with six punctures
frown.gif
Yea it was SaltWaterCooled who gave me the inspiration for this build. And since I don'e have that great of a picture I couldn't get a nice picture. The whole was exactly the size of a screw and it had gone right into the pipe. Ended up pinching it right at the puncture and brazed it till it was solid.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Just happened to stumble on this build, I'm flattered that I was the inspiration! You did a great job with it! I daresay it looks better than mine did, though I'll say it's because I had to work harder getting that third rad mine... Your cuts are much better than mine were though
cheers.gif

Edit: I'm pretty sure wermad's build was NOT the inspiration, as this is dual 360, not 480. Dual 480's, who does that...
tongue.gif

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterCooled;13682945
Just happened to stumble on this build, I'm flattered that I was the inspiration! You did a great job with it! I daresay it looks better than mine did, though I'll say it's because I had to work harder getting that third rad mine... Your cuts are much better than mine were though
cheers.gif

Edit: I'm pretty sure wermad's build was NOT the inspiration, as this is dual 360, not 480. Dual 480's, who does that...
tongue.gif
Yea I ran into a few snags though. Like the edge of bolts on the side panel hit the case causing the side panel to bow out a little bit. I still don't know what kind of temps I can get. I have a bad mount on my CPU and haven't felt like redoing it. I'm back at stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbroke318;13683120
Looks great!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
planning on moving my swiftech 240mm rad just like that, but I wont cut a hole on the side panel, just get the air circulate down there a bit, maybe add a 140mm fan atop the psu/rad area to suck some air out. I know it's not optimal, but the window on the 800D makes it a bit difficult to cut something open down there.

Congrats on the work, it looks great. I have a pump just like that one and it's one damned noisy bastard, so I decided to move on to the D5 on the XSPC Bay res, save space, tubing AND make it aesthetically more pleasant XD

was it a PITA to get that HDD tray out? Do you have any pics of the removal the process?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.