Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im installing my components into the obsidian 800d and im trying to find out where the main plug for the hotswap drives go.... i know the 4 go direcectly behind it but the last one i cant find where it goes or does it need a special adaptor? its annoying the crap outta me thanks guys

oh i forgot my mobo is the asus P6X58D premium and it doesnt have a place to plug it in

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
I'm not sure i understand your question

I didn't have to use any "adapters" and i have 5 HDD's installed

There is only 4 hotswaps

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the case came with this special adapter for the hotswap and on the end its got this large sata connector does that require any special adaptors??

·
PC Enthusiast
3,510 Posts
You need one SATA cable for each hot swap bay. this leaves 2xSATA2 and 2xSATA3 left for components inside your computer

Edit: Large SATA connector is the power. connect a SATA power connector in that slot

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothug
View Post

the case came with this special adapter for the hotswap and on the end its got this large sata connector does that require any special adaptors??

The 4 x SATA power cable plugs directly into my PSU.

Picture shows cable he means behind the hand, not circled.

I have a Corsair PSU so that probably helped but the connection seemed standard.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chairless
View Post

The 4 x SATA power cable plugs directly into my PSU.

This^ and then its just individual sata cables to the motherboard

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ye that large one i cant seem to find anywhere to plug that one in, i just plugged the sata power connecters and now im booting my pc and its not reading any of my hdd's they are in the hotswap i tried pulling the SSD out and connecting that alone and directly but still did not recognise this is strange anyone expirienced this? and where can i find a large sata power cable adaptor could this be the issue?

i've double checked that everything is connected properly everything seems to be fine only it doesn;t detect any HDD

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Quote:

View Post

ye that large one i cant seem to find anywhere to plug that one in, i just plugged the sata power connecters and now im booting my pc and its not reading any of my hdd's they are in the hotswap i tried pulling the SSD out and connecting that alone and directly but still did not recognise this is strange anyone expirienced this? and where can i find a large sata power cable adaptor could this be the issue?

i've double checked that everything is connected properly everything seems to be fine only it doesn;t detect any HDD

Bios

Make sure that your drive that has the OS is set for your 1st boot device

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there was nothing wro ng with my pc i just recieved my new corsair case and i changed all componenets in there and now this you think bios would have something to do with it?

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Quote:

View Post

there was nothing wro ng with my pc i just recieved my new corsair case and i changed all componenets in there and now this you think bios would have something to do with it?

Yes its not uncommon. Check your bios to make sure that the OS drive IS SET TO #1 in the boot priority list.

This is very common. Did your make sure after you dissasembled the whole machine did you make sure the OS drive is connected to the same sata slot on the motherboard as before?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i managed to get i to boot though i didnt touch anything in bios though its not detecting one of my drives and when i try to swap positions of these 2 drive (non being bootable) it won't boot.... unsure why

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Quote:

View Post

yea i managed to get i to boot though i didnt touch anything in bios though its not detecting one of my drives and when i try to swap positions of these 2 drive (non being bootable) it won't boot.... unsure why

Do a quick check of wiring. ground problem?

I still think it may be a bios issue. Did you add a HDD with the new case or did you have all HDD's running in your old case?

Did you reset your Cmos?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i had all HDD in the other case i didn't add anything new.

1. SSD for OS
2. HDD for programs and games
3. HDD for music movies data

all it detects is S0 and S1 ill chec kin bios

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Quote:

View Post

where in the bios do i go to check this
?

I'l try to get you a templete no promises

It's been a little while since asus but i will do my best buddy

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks really appreciate it

i'v eliminated a few things.. HDD is not dead plugged into my old pc and recognised and works i tried to change the sata plug and that was no good... im juts hoping its not the hotswap bay thats not working

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Quote:

View Post

thanks really appreciate it

i'v eliminated a few things.. HDD is not dead plugged into my old pc and recognised and works i tried to change the sata plug and that was no good... im juts hoping its not the hotswap bay thats not working

Ok great good thinking
lets test the drive on another channel.

Maybe it is a bad hotswap bay

Is that the drive in question that won't show? the drive that is connected to the hot swap?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts