Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will continue to search threads and archives but this is going back a few years..

4-5 years ago I built the current rig still in my signature and to-date it's been perfect. Come this summer and the temps have risen but nothing out of the ordinary until one day that ordinary was shattered.

I noticed temps rising and throttle of my LGA2001 4930k so I backed off my normal 4.2gz overclock back to the base 3.4gz which helped but not much. I still noticed slowdowns as temps got higher and even though the Corsair H90 AIO loop that I have used since building it was still running (rpm on my readout still showed 1500 rpm for both fan and pump) it had a gurgling and grinding noise. Since I've had water now for years including some of my own custom loops back in the day (Pentium 4 and Core2 Duo) I figure she's on the way out. That's the story and need.

Here are the questions and hopefully, someone has dealt with this in the past or recently. I'm looking, only for time and issues as I use my desktop for work from home 50-60hrs per week, something to replace either another AIO loop or the Noctura NH-D15. I wouldn't mind going back to air but not sure with my Asus Rampage IV Black Edition in my Corsair Obsidian 750D case would allow me to put the side panel back on. Trying to measure when the system is so established isn't great and while I think possibly it might fit, I'm worried about RAM sizes (Ripjaws with the added tab on top) so also considering another AIO loop.

Having the single 240mm rad/fan combo from Corsair I feel I could likely bump up to a dual 120 or 240mm and mount it on the top (currently out the back) and by all information I have the 240mm "should" fit in the top of the Obsidian and even found a video from Corsair stating as such. Just like the Noctura I'm a bit worried and hoping someone else may have a similar setup and/or case and cooler combo I might get info from.

[EDIT] I have no issues going with other cooler brands/manufacturers so also options if anyone has!

Thanks in advance and have to do something soon since the pump is grinding/gurgling more and more each day!
~Ictinike

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,147 Posts
the nh-d15 is slightly too big for my case but I manage to fit it in but it touches the window -- you can opt to only use the middle fan instead of both it and the bottom one, and doing so should prevent RAM clearance issues but maybe double check that.

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
I'm an air cooling guy so I'll just talk about the NH-D15:

The Corsair website says that your case can fit a cooler of 170mm height. The NH-D15 needs 165mm, so it should fit in the case. There's also a slightly shrunk "NH-D15S". That D15S needs 160mm and ships with just a single fan instead of two.

Another thing you should worry about is the space to the PCIe slot with your graphics card. The NH-D15 is very wide, and an LGA2011 socket motherboard has the CPU socket close to the PCIe slots because of the space needed for the VRM. You definitely won't be able to use the closest PCIe slot of your motherboard.

The special NH-D15S is slightly offset to one side compared to the normal NH-D15. That's to help with space for the PCIe slots. You'll see what I mean if you look at pictures of it from the front: the heatpipes are not symmetric. But I bet even with the D15S you still won't be able to have a card in the very first PCIe slot. I remember in the past there were motherboard compatibility lists on the Noctua website about that topic. They probably still have those. EDIT: I found those lists on the Noctua website: the D15S leaves room for the first PCIe slot on your Rampage IV, but the normal D15 doesn't.

About the RAM, you definitely won't be able to use the two fans on the NH-D15. There will only be space for a fan in the middle position. About the height of your RAM sticks, the lowest fins of the cooler are cut differently to leave room for those kinds of memory sticks.

Last thing, if you choose an air cooler instead of another AIO, make sure you have enough case fans. A large air cooler is stronger than what your H90 could do in the past, but only if it gets enough fresh air.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the nh-d15 is slightly too big for my case but I manage to fit it in but it touches the window -- you can opt to only use the middle fan instead of both it and the bottom one, and doing so should prevent RAM clearance issues but maybe double check that.
Good to note and with Deepor's info below it may be best to go the D15S model. I'll have to go check spec's since ASUS decided on this Rampage IV Black Edition mobo they put 4 slots on both sides of the CPU. Wish they would have been all one side but then again it's been years since LGA2011 and I can't complain as this system has done everything I've wanted since purchase. No regrets!

Thanks for the info Steelbom!

I'm an air cooling guy so I'll just talk about the NH-D15:

The Corsair website says that your case can fit a cooler of 170mm height. The NH-D15 needs 165mm, so it should fit in the case. There's also a slightly shrunk "NH-D15S". That D15S needs 160mm and ships with just a single fan instead of two.

Another thing you should worry about is the space to the PCIe slot with your graphics card. The NH-D15 is very wide, and an LGA2011 socket motherboard has the CPU socket close to the PCIe slots because of the space needed for the VRM. You definitely won't be able to use the closest PCIe slot of your motherboard.

The special NH-D15S is slightly offset to one side compared to the normal NH-D15. That's to help with space for the PCIe slots. You'll see what I mean if you look at pictures of it from the front: the heatpipes are not symmetric. But I bet even with the D15S you still won't be able to have a card in the very first PCIe slot. I remember in the past there were motherboard compatibility lists on the Noctua website about that topic. They probably still have those. EDIT: I found those lists on the Noctua website: the D15S leaves room for the first PCIe slot on your Rampage IV, but the normal D15 doesn't.

About the RAM, you definitely won't be able to use the two fans on the NH-D15. There will only be space for a fan in the middle position. About the height of your RAM sticks, the lowest fins of the cooler are cut differently to leave room for those kinds of memory sticks.

Last thing, if you choose an air cooler instead of another AIO, make sure you have enough case fans. A large air cooler is stronger than what your H90 could do in the past, but only if it gets enough fresh air.
Thanks for the details! This is what I was hoping and greatly appreciate it. I'll have to check on the D15S model (hadn't seen that on Noctura's site at the time) and sounds like it might work out. I don't use the 1st or 2nd PCIe slots on this opting for the 3rd for a PCIe 1 Asus sound card and the bottom my new GTX1080 so I'm thinking I'll be good that way but that RAM clearance has me worried. Because I know I can fit a 240/280mm radiator on the topside of this Obsidian I may just end up going that route in a push config from within the case and have already replaced the 2 Corsair 140mm intake on the front opting for Noctura fans already so she's got some good flow coming in and from the bottom and the h90 on the backside (single 140mm fan/radiator) and a 120 on top sucking in. I get good flow out the radiator side and just hoping it's the pump that's going on this h90 and nothing else. Again, thank you so much for great info!

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a picture they have on the Noctua website about very high memory sticks on a board like yours with eight memory slots:
Awesome image and thank you so much.. Tried to do some measuring last night and based on the 160mm height and the mobo compatibility sheet they have seems like it will work now looking at this image. I have very little room at the end of the cooler to put back the case panel and should be right up against. I see they have 169mm from the motherboard and that has me worried. From the absolute flat of the board, it just fits but if I go from the edge of the cpu socket (as in on top of the cpu itself) it seems like it won't fit. Just worried but still investigating. I'm sure I could get rid of it if I bought both the Nocura 15S and a replacement AOI water loop from Corsiar but hoping to make it a single 'good to go' purchase.. Just might not have that luxury and since I've been out of the game for a few number of years; just worried, lol!

Thanks again for all the info Deepor!

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked up the Noctura D15s tonight and a extra second fan if I can fit it. If not, it's a new case fan at the same level should 2 existing Noctura's on front input, the cooler, and the additional Noctura as exhaust.

Just have to wait and hold out long enough to receive! Thanks again for all the help!

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote Snip
Quote Snip

@steelbom @deepor

Wanted to thank you both again for the info. Based on my board and ram locations went with the NH-D15S which arrived late this evening. Took a bit to tear down the old Corsair H90 but once out was able to clean up old TIM and get the new Noctura in. I did order another NH15 fan to double up but wouldn't fit with the cooler blowing horizontal and didn't want to blow up out of the case. Instead, I placed in on a 120mm space right behind the cooler to help exhaust anything coming off the cooler. Fit perfectly and the case covers are back on with no issue!

The test was a bit of extreme gaming and never broke above 45C with her all buttoned back up! Even running extreme on the 1080 and its thermals didn't affect anything. This is one sweet cooler and glad I took your advice. Nice I won't also have to worry about a recent issue with Corsair AIO's breaking and leaking the last few months to a year. Quiet and cool. Awesome.

Thanks again!
~Icky

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,147 Posts
Glad you like it mate! It's definitely a solid cooler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts