Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I know....I know....another "Will this PSU do this?" thread.

The system:
Maximus Formula VI
x2 Reference GTX 780 Ti
x2 SSD
A couple fans and assorted case tinsel

The reason I decided to post it up is because searching brought me to some varied responses. According to some information, I'm just fine. According to others, I'm asking for it.

I do not plan to overclock/overvolt the 780's
I do wish to overclock the CPU to the limit a well-ventilated H105 can accommodate

There's a chance down the road I might get back into watercooling so it may be worth factoring in a single D5 or similar.

What is the OCN opinion?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
If you're not going to overvolt the 780Tis, then who ever told you it's not enough is misinformed.
You can even get away with some OC'ing on them.

To clarify, each 780Ti at stock speeds and under 100% load will consume less than 260w. (Source)
4770K will consume less than 80w under 100% load at stock speeds.

If the CPU + GPUs are under 100% load at the same time (which is rare unless you're folding on both...etc), your peak power consumption will be less than 620 Watts. It will be even lower in gaming.

Quality PSUs (like yours) can deliver their maximum rated output 24/7 for years without a hitch.

So you have room to OC the CPU to the gills and a mild OC on the 780Tis as long as you don't overvolt them.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have Seasonic version of this PSU, but not exactly the same...with 860W PSU you only have 100-150W overhead, if that.

eXXon, you are misinformed. My 780 TI's, each exceed TDP by a large margin, at stock. Near 285W per card, actually. I hit the 106% TDP limit (which gives the 265W figure, now 260W) just playing games on a single monitor.

Tri-monitor, I hit 300-320W per card. And yes, the built-in boost controls will clock the cards down...but they still hit that power consumption on peak.

I see you have 780..780 Ti is COMPLETELY different. I have both cards in multiples.

So, 300W/card, plus 130-to-150E for CPU, plus 30-50W for board, + drives, fans, etc...850W PSU is not enough for high-end dual card rig. Over time as PSU wears, it will not be able to provide all that power, and is likely the first component to die in such a build. Never build at the edge of a PSUs capabilities.

·
Registered
627 Posts
NiceGuy....

I have 780 ti sli and HAD a corsair AX 860.....THREE OF THEM TO BE EXACT

People here on OCN that SWEAR they know PSU measurements have VICIOUSLY argued with me that the AX 860 was "more than enough even for overclocking"

WELL IT'S NOT!!...maybe you can get by at absolutely stock 780 ti 980mhz boost, but most 780 ti's boost more than this and I've had my AX860('s) shutdown after long hours of gaming AT STOCK and your gonna be running close to max anyway which is a NO-NO

After all my troubles I finally had to shell out for a 1200 watt and I have no issues now

Have your exact same setup except a maxmius hero and 1 more ssd

·
Registered
218 Posts
An AX860 shutting down with a dual card setup? Hmm.... not saying I don't believe you, but that doesn't seem right if they are not over volted. Do you have like 8 mechanical drives with a full water cooling solution?

• Rep+
Reactions: MNiceGuy

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
LOL even 750w could be enough for gaming
tongue.gif
. Total system power draw below. Furmark is the worse case scenario. I don't know what these guys up there are doing with their systems to have it shut down using an 860w psu (Maybe a cheepo would, but a good would shouldn't)

SOURCE

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam0385 View Post

An AX860 shutting down with a dual card setup? Hmm.... not saying I don't believe you, but that doesn't seem right if they are not over volted. Do you have like 8 mechanical drives with a full water cooling solution?
You've got a 95w CPU plus two GPUs that pull well in the order of 280w a piece. Now factor in the motherboard and all of the other components combined. 860w is pushing it. I would just go with a 1Kw unit and be done with it.

• Rep+

·
Senior OCN Member
40,942 Posts
860 watts is more then enough if you are not going to overvolt it or go nuts with OC

But the EVGA SuperNova G2 750/850/1000 or the SuperNova P2 or the Cooler Master V850/1000 are better options then a Corsair AX

• Rep+

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam0385 View Post

You've got a 95w CPU plus two GPUs that pull well in the order of 280w a piece. Now factor in the motherboard and all of the other components combined. 860w is pushing it. I would just go with a 1Kw unit and be done with it.
He does not plan on OC'ing the GPU's (although he can). Speaking from experience, I had a PC power cooling MKV 750W 80 plus silver PSU that powered a 3770k at 4.9Ghz (1.420v), x2 770's @ 1385Mhz/2004Mhz (1.340mv), 2400Mhz 16gb RAM (1.65v). 2 HDD's, 1 256GB SSD, 6 fans, 1 fan controller, and 1 asus DVD Drive.

I didn't "shut down" while benchmarking...
rolleyes.gif
The OP would be just fine on a 860W PSU, you guys can stop with the "You're pushing it" comments. He's not pushing anything at stock...

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Furthermore, 280w x 2 = 560w. 95w (though a 4770k uses around 107w 100 loaded at "stock" due to turbo) added on is only 655 - 670w range. if you think a motherboard, hard drive/SSD/ram and some fans can draw enough to where it would be "pushing it" on an 860w psu then you've got the consumption figures for those components way, way off.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone that replied so far!

Still seems like a pretty split decision with both sides claiming to have experience to back it up.

It's not like buying a 1k or 1.2k is a problem. I ran 680SLI and an OC'ed 3570K no problem for a long time with an AX850 (gold label Corsair). When I did this system I thought a quality 860 would be more than enough.

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post

Thanks everyone that replied so far!

Still seems like a pretty split decision with both sides claiming to have experience to back it up.

It's not like buying a 1k or 1.2k is a problem. I ran 680SLI and an OC'ed 3570K no problem for a long time with an AX850 (gold label Corsair). When I did this system I thought a quality 860 would be more than enough.
the best way is to see for yourself. see if your computer shuts off due to lack of power. if the psu isn't providing enough it will shut off safely (at least it should).for every person that "needs" a 1kw+ psu for a 700w load there's another using the same type of system on a 750w with no issues. that's just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlackFire View Post

the best way is to see for yourself. see if your computer shuts off due to lack of power. if the psu isn't providing enough it will shut off safely (at least it should).for every person that "needs" a 1kw+ psu for a 700w load there's another using the same type of system on a 750w with no issues. that's just the way it is.
So far I haven't had a single issue but I don't feel I have yet to push the cards to their max. Also, I typically run new systems stock for a while to make sure everything is stable.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlackFire View Post

Furthermore, 280w x 2 = 560w. 95w (though a 4770k uses around 107w 100 loaded at "stock" due to turbo) added on is only 655 - 670w range. if you think a motherboard, hard drive/SSD/ram and some fans can draw enough to where it would be "pushing it" on an 860w psu then you've got the consumption figures for those components way, way off.
stock with 780 TI SLI. 853 W while playing GRID2 @ 5760X1200. Sure, I have 4960X, but it's a 130W chip...only 35W more than 4770K. Sure, I have four sticks of ram. Sure, I have an H80i, a single SSD, two mechanical HDDs, and a few fans. Sure, it's nothing more than what is listed above by a user with 770's...but it is not the same card, and there for, does not exhibit the same loading behavior.

LL

I love how people without the hardware comment differently than those that do have it. There's where the split in opinions lays.

So lets say my system is a bit much compared to the OP, even by 100W...running a 850W PSU @ 85%...no thanks. get a 1000W, and have that bit of overhead. With the 860i costing as much as it does, clearly money isn't the factor here, so buy a good 1000W unit that costs just as much, and have some security in the longevity of your system.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post

stock with 780 TI SLI. 853 W while playing GRID2 @ 5760X1200. Sure, I have 4960X, but it's a 130W chip...only 35W more than 4770K. Sure, I have four sticks of ram. Sure, I have an H80i, a single SSD, two mechanical HDDs, and a few fans. Sure, it's nothing more than what is listed above by a user with 770's...but it is not the same card, and there for, does not exhibit the same loading behavior.

I love how people without the hardware comment differently than those that do have it. There's where the split in opinions lays.

So lets say my system is a bit much compared to the OP, even by 100W...running a 850W PSU @ 85%...no thanks. get a 1000W, and have that bit of overhead. With the 860i costing as much as it does, clearly money isn't the factor here, so buy a good 1000W unit that costs just as much, and have some security in the longevity of your system.
What kind of overclock, if any, are you running on the CPU and GPU's?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Quote:

What kind of overclock, if any, are you running on the CPU and GPU's?
None. ram @ 1333 Mhz, too. I have a high-power system so that OC wasn't needed.

The 860i is an expensive unit. There's nothing wrong with it. It has some nice features. But if you can afford the extra $100 that PSU costs, step up and spend the $100 more to get the 1200i. It's just money... and I am not one to cheap out on anything.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,942 Posts
Quote:

The 860i is an expensive unit. There's nothing wrong with it. It has some nice features. But if you can afford the extra $100 that PSU costs, step up and spend the $100 more to get the 1200i. It's just money... and I am not one to cheap out on anything.
EVGA SuperNova G2 and P2 are better options

They are very close to being on par with the AXi models and they costs far less

AXi models are a ripoff

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

I don't want to believe it but cadaveca I think you've clearly shown that a similar system really is pulling 850+ watts. Wow!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Quote:

I don't want to believe it but cadaveca I think you've clearly shown that a similar system really is pulling 850+ watts. Wow!
You are as shocked as I was at first.
tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

EVGA SuperNova G2 and P2 are better options

They are very close to being on par with the AXi models and they costs far less

AXi models are a ripoff
Since I do hardware reviews, I make no specific brand recommendations. I like the Corsair Link stuff, myself.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,942 Posts
Quote:

You are as shocked as I was at first.
tongue.gif

Since I do hardware reviews, I make no specific brand recommendations. I like the Corsair Link stuff, myself.
Not angry with your or anything but i think i should it make clear that i did not make a brand recommendation i made a model recommendation

All other EVGA units are mediocre its only the G2 and P2 that are worth buying

1 - 20 of 118 Posts