Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone !

Today i wanted to stress test my system with occt, since i changed some voltages, and a very weird thing happend, or shall i say happens.

If i run my ram at 8-7-7-20 2T which i had it at for a long time, and i'm pretty confident it was stable at these timings before, i get an error, always at the 5 - 6 minute mark in occt, always, unless i change the timmings to stock.

I tried raising my qpi voltage, nothing, dram reference voltages, no matter where i set them at, still the same, i even tried with everything else at stock to rule out any other instabilities and still the same.

Weird thing is it does the same on linx, at excactly 4 - 5 minutes into stressing them.

I'm lost here, i know my kit is pretty poor for being dominators ever since i got them, but i didn't care much, but now this ?

What i don't know is if linx in general is bugged up on my system, since the last time i ran occt or any stress testing program for that mater was a little before i got an ssd, thus reformating, and a new windows instalation on the ssd.

Does anyone else had something similar occuring to him/her ? I'm really mad right now, because i am 100% sure the kit can handle these timings at 1600mhz, ( pretty poor for being dominators ).

Thanks in advance and feel free to ask me anything that could help

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lowering timings is never, never, never guaranteed by any manufacturer. And I must say that performance gained by RAM these days is exaggerated. At least in playing games. I just started a thread about my travails after upgrading my bios with a flash involving the ability to overclock my new ram to the proper 1866mhz speed. But after downgrading my bios again so I could run at 1866Mhz, I have found by frame rate benchmarking in some games that there has been no gain at all in performance from my old 1333Mhz to my new 1866Mhz. Can't tell any difference at all. There might be some applications where RAM is a bottleneck and therefore will increase performance but it sure isn't showing up in gaming. Maybe the higher ram speed would help with some sort of video converting software or something like that. But I'm finding that after 1066 or maybe 1333Mhz, there seems to be little gained by higher performance ram modules. RAM speed and timings seem to be no more of a bottleneck above those speeds. Therefore no appreciable gain is to be had.

And one must realize that the way that ram is manufactured and rated means that your fancy 2000Mhz ram has the same chips as the 1066Mhz from the same manufacturer. They just stress test it at higher speeds and the highest it passes at is what they sell it as. In your case they tested at that speed but probably only at the normal timings. Therefore they can't guarantee any lowered timings. I'm sure you'd not be able to tell any difference between the stock timing and the lowered timings in the real world anyway.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input ! i really apreciate it

It's not though that i care much about overclocking them, it just feels a bit funny paying an extra for supposdely premium ram like the Dominator line from corsair, and you would expect it to run at either stock speeds with a bit tighter timmings than the stock ones, or a bit higher speed with stock timings.

Mine can't do either of those, and to be able to boot at 1866 mhz i need to loosen the timmings to 9-9-9-24, and it's still not stable.

Anyway, i was just worried that somehow my ram could have degraded, even though i never went over the 1.65V Dram limit, and i never ran higher than 1.41V on the qpi just for benchmarking.

For 24/7 i use 1.27 volts on the qpi or vtt, and 1.65 volts on dram. Could raising the Dram Ref voltages to +37milivolts degrade them ? i really doubt it. All in all i'm trying to remember if my ram could do 8-7-7-20 @ 1600 mhz before and being stable in linx.

if i run these timmings the pc is stable and i can play games all day withought issues, i do suspect though that for a few times i had chrome crash on me, and specifically flash when i watch videos on youtube, they are the cause. I can't confirm that however.

The only issue here is that, i'm afraid they could have degraded somehow, but i highly doubt so, they have the corsair cooler as well to cool them and they never get hot.

Again thanks in advance and sorry for my huge posts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts