Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought the 2Gb 1066 kit for 40 bucks on the egg. Any feedback from people that have it would be cool, oh and will this run fine with my 4 gigs of OCZ Reapers that i have? reapers are 2.2v and dominators are 2.1v.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
This memory isn't the type you just drop in and go on with life on some motherboards :cough: P5Q Pro :cough: (have to manually adjust the timings to get to 5-5-5-15, as the memory standard is 5-5-5-18).

Personally, since they're really DDR2-800 chips overclocked to 1066Mhz I'm going to get another set that is truly 1066Mhz. Overclocking overclocked memory doesn't give much elbow room, especially when some motherboards require extra steps to even overvolt it above 2.1v.

Make sure your motherboard can handle 2.1v volts, too.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I love mine. Only problem I have had is power outages. Killed em twice. RMA process is painless. And you always get the latest model when you get them back.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well if need be, i might just sell the reapers if they aren't stable at 1080mhz with the dominators, cuz i've had instability with these reapers, and hear nothing but praise for the dominators!

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by StarryNite View Post
This memory isn't the type you just drop in and go on with life on some motherboards :cough: P5Q Pro :cough: (have to manually adjust the timings to get to 5-5-5-15, as the memory standard is 5-5-5-18).

Personally, since they're really DDR2-800 chips overclocked to 1066Mhz I'm going to get another set that is truly 1066Mhz. Overclocking overclocked memory doesn't give much elbow room, especially when some motherboards require extra steps to even overvolt it above 2.1v.

Make sure your motherboard can handle 2.1v volts, too.
wait, newegg and corsairs site says 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v, not 5-5-5-18. maybe you have the older ones. And i thought that they are 1066mhz, but ddr2 sets them to 800mhz automatically?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by D3TH.GRUNT View Post
well if need be, i might just sell the reapers if they aren't stable at 1080mhz with the dominators, cuz i've had instability with these reapers, and hear nothing but praise for the dominators!
Don't let the hype fool you.

The problem is this type of memory is out of spec (5-5-5-18) and requires more volts to operate from the start (not like overclocking rated memory). You WILL have instability with such memory, thus sold as "performance" memory for those who don't care about frying things or jumping through tweak hoops.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

wait, newegg and corsairs site says 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v, not 5-5-5-18. maybe you have the older ones. And i thought that they are 1066mhz, but ddr2 sets them to 800mhz automatically?
It operates at 5-5-5-15, but it's not truly 1066Mhz memory that is 5-5-5-15 stock. It's EPP memory that has to be tweaked to run at 5-5-5-15 (even those boards that recognize it, do so by adjusting the settings).

They sell because they're cheap (really DDR2-800 memory that overclocked to 1066Mhz). Even the guy at the Corsair forum paraphrased his settings post with this disclaimer -- it's not standard rated memory.

·
Registered
824 Posts
All DDR2 is PC6400. It is the only supported standard. If you want RAM to go faster than that you have to OC it. When someone sells DDR2 1066, 1100, 1200 etc. it is only guaranteed to run that speed at the specified voltage. So you can buy 1066 and take your chances getting it up to 1200. Or you can just buy 1200 and be done with it. Personally I think all 1066 sets will get you close to 1200 and are more fun because you get to tweak them like you would your CPU. I don't want plug and play OC.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok. well, i just want to know now if they have the same timings and are both guaranteed to run 1066 @ BLAH BLAH, will they sync fine, or will i have problems with my reapers and these dominators?

·
Registered
824 Posts
They should play well together. you will like them.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Yeah, but they don't tell customers that it is overclocked (not standard) memory. Folks find out about it after they buy them, when they're hit with the 5-5-5-18 defaults and wonder why it's not working at 5-5-5-15 as advertized. Just browse the Corsair forum for examples.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Yeah, but they don't tell customers that it is overclocked (not standard) memory. Folks find out about it after they buy them, when they're hit with the 5-5-5-18 defaults and wonder why it's not working at 5-5-5-15 as advertized. Just browse the Corsair forum for examples.
ok now im getting confused? 5-5-5-15 @2.1v is written on the memory, and my reapers have that too but @2.2v, and the y run at 5-5-5-15 fine, no problems. So what exactly are you talking about, are the corsair memory just ******ed or something, or lying?

·
Registered
824 Posts
The corsair are rated 5,5,5,15 at just 2.1v and the reapers require slightly more. The lower the voltage RAM requires to run the rated settings the better they are. The Ideal DDR2 would do 1200mhz 6,6,6,18 at 1.8v. The extra .1v won't bother the dominators one bit.

• Rep+
Reactions: D3TH.GRUNT

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_russell View Post
The corsair are rated 5,5,5,15 at just 2.1v and the reapers require slightly more. The lower the voltage RAM requires to run the rated settings the better they are. The Ideal DDR2 would do 1200mhz 6,6,6,18 at 1.8v. The extra .1v won't bother the dominators one bit.
ok, thats all i wanted to hear! + rep for you!

·
Registered
824 Posts
You are welcome.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

ok now im getting confused? 5-5-5-15 @2.1v is written on the memory, and my reapers have that too but @2.2v, and the y run at 5-5-5-15 fine, no problems. So what exactly are you talking about, are the corsair memory just ******ed or something, or lying?
OCZ tends to run high on volts (even true on the PC-3200 set I had before).

It's advertizing, some may claim it's false advertizing as Corsair doesn't paraphrase that 5-5-5-15 timings as being "tweaked". Too often you'll only learn about it AFTER you bought it, and wondering why it doesn't work at 5-5-5-15 (and for those lucky enough to have motherboards that will just instantly set the timings, you get a false sense that it truly is 5-5-5-15 timings).

Just visit the Corsair forum, and read a bit. Their techs are over there so get the info straight from the horse's mouth if you must.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

OCZ tends to run high on volts (even true on the PC-3200 set I had before).

It's advertizing, some may claim it's false advertizing as Corsair doesn't paraphrase that 5-5-5-15 timings as being "tweaked". Too often you'll only learn about it AFTER you bought it, and wondering why it doesn't work at 5-5-5-15 (and for those lucky enough to have motherboards that will just instantly set the timings, you get a false sense that it truly is 5-5-5-15 timings).

Just visit the Corsair forum, and read a bit. Their techs are over there so get the info straight from the horse's mouth if you must.
k, ill look into it, thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts