Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got what I thought at first was a small problem but now it just won't let me do anything.

So short long story, I unpluged my ssd to remove the bracket and I broke the little pin from the power supply connector.
Now, what's missing is the little | that allow only one side of the connector to be connected.

Before :
- - - - - - - -| - - - - |

Now :
- - - - - - - - - - - - -|

I did check with my other SSD and the pin are all there, the connection is still there and only thing that can happen now is that I can connect the psu connector in the wrong direction.

I did plug it in the good way and now I see my drive in bios normally but when I boot on it it goes like this :

Insert boot disk and blablbalbabla...

So now my SSD won't boot at all.

Did it ever happened to anyone ? Do you think it's broke because it's missing a 2mm plastic pin ?
I can't believe they sell us stuff for $100+ and uses plastic connection, I could force just a little and break it in 5 ...

Do you think corsair will RMA ? I'm using their 500r and it's mainly the reason why I broke it, it would'nt get out of the hdd cage. I had to use some force to remove it

EDIT: Forgot to add I will try to wipe/reinstall windows on it when I get back home, crossing my fingers I don't have to rma it, because I bought a crosair 16gb usb3 key and it's not recongized anymore in windows.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump, now I have installed windows on the drive successfully, althought when I try to boot on it it says missing boot mgr ?

Any hard drive guru ?!
redface.gif
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is set to the SSD since I removed all my other devices and set it to the SSD.
As I said, it's very little, they might not even notice at all but I'm scared it's dead
frown.gif
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts
I have a question, did you follow my install guide? If so did you use the GPT or MBR install step? If you did the GPT you need to have the boot order boot from Windows Boot Manager and no the SSD.

Now can you run boot up repair with your Windows 7 install media?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm afraid I just set AHCI mode and launched the installation.

I had a clean windows 7 installation, removed my SSD and put it back in and it wouldn't boot on it. It would always say insert boot disk.
After a new windows 7 installation, now it says Missing Boot MGR.

EDIT : Thank you btw I feel like using a 1998 computer with my HDD as boot drive
redface.gif
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

So you are reinstalling?
You could have done this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fixing-bootmgr-is-missing-error-while-trying-to-boot-windows-vista/
I did the reinstallation yesterday night. It would not launch, and for some reason the windows version I have from MSDN doesn't have repair on the ISO.
Am I screwed ?
Is there a way to download/create a windows repair disk ? I do have a working windows on my HDD right now could I simply create a repair disk from that windows ?
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Really? I have a Windows 7 Pro from MSDDAA and I have the repair option upon booting off the disk...
Also, I have links to iso's in my install guide if you can reburn an iso.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-guide-optimization-for-ssds-hdds
EDIT: yes you can create a repair disk, give me a second!
I'm not sure if it's the same "agreement" with microsoft you have as our school, but I will try to create a repair disk and see how it goes. As I said earlier, I compared my two ssd's and the pins are perfectly the same, althought it's just missing a single plastic teeth which I doubt would prevent me frm booting.

I was asking for a guru but I think I've found a legend
biggrin.gif
thank you many times already !
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe View Post

I'm not sure if it's the same "agreement" with microsoft you have as our school, but I will try to create a repair disk and see how it goes.
I got my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit 100% free from mine.
biggrin.gif
I don't think you should have any difference in your .iso than mine...that is just weird.
Quote:
As I said earlier, I compared my two ssd's and the pins are perfectly the same, althought it's just missing a single plastic teeth which I doubt would prevent me frm booting.
Yea, you should be fine like that, just don't wiggle it.
Quote:
I was asking for a guru but I think I've found a legend
biggrin.gif
thank you many times already!
lol

If you didn't see:
Quote:
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Abs.exe

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

I got my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit 100% free from mine.
biggrin.gif
I don't think you should have any difference in your .iso than mine...that is just weird.
Quote:
As I said earlier, I compared my two ssd's and the pins are perfectly the same, althought it's just missing a single plastic teeth which I doubt would prevent me frm booting.
Yea, you should be fine like that, just don't wiggle it.
Quote:
I was asking for a guru but I think I've found a legend
biggrin.gif
thank you many times already!
lol
If you didn't see:
Quote:
Alright, can't wait to come back home and check if this work. I'm crossing my fingers !
I'll keep you updated and grats on your 1300th rep
wink.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
Sean, a bit OT but I got a Windows 7 Pro 64 download from the link in your Guide. Anyway to get these 'Legally' activated ?
wink.gif
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothman View Post

Sean, a bit OT but I got a Windows 7 Pro 64 download from the link in your Guide. Anyway to get these 'Legally' activated ?
wink.gif
Buy a genuine key from microsoft
smile.gif

Or get like us in a school that give you free microsoft softwares.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothman View Post

Sean, a bit OT but I got a Windows 7 Pro 64 download from the link in your Guide. Anyway to get these 'Legally' activated ?
wink.gif
My school has a program and it goes on sale for $50 for Pro sometimes, (non-OEM). It's normally $110 otherwise. I'm considering this..
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top