Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. Both of them have the latest Sandforce controller and the same R/W speeds. It is my understanding that OCZ has overall better firmware updates and customer service so should I go with them?

I would prefer the drive with the fewest reported BSOD that I've read a lot about with SSD's and would prefer overall more reliability vs performance. Thanks!

Edit: Then theres a OCZ's PCIe Revo drives that supposedly are 540mb read/ 450mb write. Are these reliable? What controller do they use?

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
They are both pretty much the same. I think that OCZ has (or had) an agreement with Sandforce on new firmware, so they may get updates faster. Other than that go with the company / warranty / price that you prefer.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
i had problems with my corsair p128, the first one i had would BSOD after the initial windows start up, right as i logged in BS!

called corsair and had my new drive within 3 days... I have a lot of corsair stuff on my build, but thats because their customer service and RMA team is top notch.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDreadedGMan View Post
Revo I believe is just a couple of sandforces on a card with a RAID controller..
Yes, you are correct. There is a review here on them.

With the RevoDrive you get faster sequential but only equal random (more important for OS) speeds compared to a single, cheaper, 120GB Sandforce drive. You also do not get TRIM.

If you want similar speeds, I would go for 2 60GB drives and RAID them. Close to the same performance at a lower cost (UK at least). This way you can at least take the raid array apart and Secure Erase the drives to recover performance; I'm not sure if you can do this with the Revo. Also, with Intel working on drivers for TRIM in RAID, with the 2 drives in RAID you may well get TRIM in the (maybe distant) future. Although this may also apply to the Revo drive, I don't know.

Personally I would avoid the Revo and go for one or two Sandforce drives, and enjoy a few pints with the money I have saved.

EDIT: I was wrong, you can separate the RAID array and perform a low level format through the card's BIOS (Link)

• Rep+
Reactions: coolasafan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post
Personally I would avoid the Revo and go for one or two Sandforce drives, and enjoy a few pints with the money I have saved.

That seems to be the overall response I have gotten so I think thats what I'll do. Thanks guys.

·
Retired Enthusiast
3,405 Posts
atm corsair force series has problems with random kernel BSOD.
there has been issues with some motherboards and force firmware.
mine isn't an exception, it would bsod whenever my PC is idle long enough.
currently waiting for a fix from corsair.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ.BigBear View Post
atm corsair force series has problems with random kernel BSOD.
there has been issues with some motherboards and force firmware.
mine isn't an exception, it would bsod whenever my PC is idle long enough.
currently waiting for a fix from corsair.
could be a power settings vs firmware problem, but I would be disturbed by this too

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Corsair is definitely out of the picture now in fear of those random BSOD's. Does anyone know how the Vertex 2 compares to the Intel SSD's that everyone seems to gravitate towards?

Also per review @ Newegg (vertex 2): "Shipped with Firmware1.11 had to roll it back to 1.10 to clear a S.M.A.R.T. conflict with Gigabyte BIOS."
I plan on getting a Gigabyte mobo so will I be losing any added benefits from rolling back to an older FW?

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasafan View Post
Corsair is definitely out of the picture now in fear of those random BSOD's. Does anyone know how the Vertex 2 compares to the Intel SSD's that every seems to gravitate towards?

Also per review @ Newegg (vertex 2): "Shipped with Firmware1.11 had to roll it back to 1.10 to clear a S.M.A.R.T. conflict with Gigabyte BIOS."
I plan on getting a Gigabyte mobo so will I be losing any added benefits from rolling back to an older FW?
Well it seems that in interest of keeping their IOPS high, Corsair didn't get the release version of the firmware... due to a Sleep bug... they've had some issues...
There are quite a few articles about that issue here are 2:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...ops-issue.html
http://techreport.com/articles.x/18864/2

I'm willing to bet the current BSOD issues are related to Corsair not updating their firmware...

But that aside, Gigabyte boards are getting fixed BIOSes for the SMART error bug, which only makes your boot 5 seconds longer due to the "error" message.
Not all of the boards have the update yet tho the master list is here:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo......look-inside

EDIT: also found one of the Corsair forums post that deals with this issue: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthre...t=88786&page=2

·
Overclocker
2,284 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasafan View Post
Corsair is definitely out of the picture now in fear of those random BSOD's. Does anyone know how the Vertex 2 compares to the Intel SSD's that everyone seems to gravitate towards?

Vertex 2 is better in the sense that it has sandforce controller. It has new features like garbage collection.

Depends on which gigabyte mobo your going to get. I didn't have problems with mine and I'm using f/w v1.11.

EDIT: Also, you might wanna take a look at those c300's. They are considered to be the best ssd's out atm.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ukic View Post
Vertex 2 is better in the sense that it has sandforce controller. It has new features like garbage collection.

Depends on which gigabyte mobo your going to get. I didn't have problems with mine and I'm using f/w v1.11.

EDIT: Also, you might wanna take a look at those c300's. They are considered to be the best ssd's out atm.
Corsair Force and OCZ Vertex 2's BOTH have Sandforce controllers (SF-1200 to be precise), as do the OWC Mercury and the G.Skill Phoenix.

As for C300s being the best, it depends on what you are using them for, and what size you go for. Here is a thread discussing it (there are many more if you look) and here is a review on them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
K....nuff nonsense. If we are going to help the guy lets...

Corsair is out - posted problem is very common at this point (Google is Your Friend)
Vertex 2.... Large scale production but has had to withstand the bricking that we see everywhere.
OWC/G.Skill.... very few problems.

Some people might like to tell you that all SandForce controlled drives are made equal but they arent. It is not like the days of ole where a manufacturer will rebadge his ssd with anothers name. Look at reputation first and foremost IMHO. I think there is a post today as a matter of fact of someone with a vertex on this site. His experience is the modus operandi of the Vertex death cycle.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSSDReview View Post
Corsair is out - posted problem is very common at this point (Google is Your Friend)
Yes, they have a problem with compatibility with a few Gigabyte motherboards, definitely worth considering. They are working on it.

Quote:

Vertex 2.... Large scale production but has had to withstand the bricking that we see everywhere.
Maybe, as has been said before, we see a lot of problems because they sell a lot of drives. Do you have any percentage figures yet?

Quote:

OWC/G.Skill.... very few problems.
Because they sell fewer units? Again, any percentage figures?

Quote:

Some people might like to tell you that all SandForce controlled drives are made equal but they arent.
All Sandforce SF-1200 controllers are made equal, the only difference is the firmware. As far as the NAND Flash used, it is the same Intel NAND across all drives (Intel 29F64G08CAMDB). So I think that, firmware notwithstanding, all SF-1200 drives are made very much alike.

Quote:

I think there is a post today as a matter of fact of someone with a vertex on this site. His experience is the modus operandi of the Vertex death cycle.
Again, lots more drives, lots more failures. Link it or it didn't happen.

I'm still not defending any particular make, or attacking another. I am just tired of opinion being stated as fact without any kind of backup.

·
Overclocker
2,284 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post
Corsair Force and OCZ Vertex 2's BOTH have Sandforce controllers (SF-1200 to be precise), as do the OWC Mercury and the G.Skill Phoenix.

As for C300s being the best, it depends on what you are using them for, and what size you go for. Here is a thread discussing it (there are many more if you look) and here is a review on them.
He was asking between vertex 2 and intel... and yes, c300's are better in a way but that's why I mentioned to check them out...

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ukic View Post
He was asking between vertex 2 and intel... and yes, c300's are better in a way but that's why I mentioned to check them out...
Yes, sorry I missed that bit!

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Ranked by random performance
  1. Sandforce
  2. C300 (faster in some benchmarks)
  3. Intel
  4. Indilinx
  5. JMicron / Toshiba (new versions)
  6. Samsung RBB
  7. Phison PS-100
  8. JMicron (old version JMx602)
These drives are Sandforce 1200 series:
OCZ: Vertex LE, Vertex 2, Agility 2
Corsair: Force Series
G.Skill: Phoenix Pro series
Mushkin: Callisto deluxe
A-Data: S599
OWC: Mercury Extreme

and many other lesser-known brands

·
Registered
230 Posts
GingerJohn,

To answer your last line, the only thing you seem to be doing is to throw out your own assumptions without any sort of support. Firmware is the key to most ssds and its the reasonwhy you find so many updates in the OCZ and not others. Please dont try and say its because of their proactive approach to updates because most of their firmware updates have been to save their butt whereas OWC has yet to require one update for the same drive and they still have better results.

A little further into it, it must be the firmware that would enable OWC to guarantee no performance degradation through seasoning or filling, something OCZ would not do.

It also must be the firmware that is causing the corsair problems we are seeing at present as well.

IMHO, the assumption and advice that all firmware is the same is rather careless, regardless how similar you think it may be. You can paint it however you like but you can find people complaining of dying OCZ's every day yet you would have to struggle to find same with an OWC.

Since you couldn't find this thead on the first page on this site...here ya go. Ask this guy how happy he is with his OCZ... I noticed you never offered any support to him.

http://www.overclock.net/ssd/822093-...-problems.html

EDIT: Percentage figures? Hmm... Do this because it might just open your eyes. Put Google alerts out for all SSD brands as I do which will give you new posts regarding the specific drive every morning around 6am. Take a look at the incredible amount of new bricked OCZ threads you will see their compared to all others. I would suggest that it is an eye opening but even when someone posts the threads, you still go on to throw out the company line of numbers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts