Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the better Power Supply? Its looking like the older tx seris is better...

My 2nd Asus 470 is in the mail so i need to upgrade from my LSP750 which served me well with my crossfire 5770s... But I refuse to use adapters to power my video cards...

The benefits are obivous as the tx850 has 6 pcie connections even though it says 4 everywhere i look but every single one i have come in contact with has had 6 pcie... Not sure if they are using tx950 as of recent & just rebadging them?

The gs800 is a newer and it has a neat feature where u can change the fan color from white/red/blue but i mount my psu face down on the bottom of my case so it doesnt really matter... If it had 6 pcie i would go with this one...

Does the tx850 supply enough power to all 6 pcie & run tri fire 470s? The main reason i ask is because the box & the website says 4 pcie...

·
Nothing
4,191 Posts
I don't know what tx850s you looked at but both of these reviews show 4 PCIe connectors.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-review-6.html

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=126

Why not go for something like this? It's modular and on sale as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9011&Tpk=hx850

Edit: Just saw you wanted tri-sli in the future. You might want to get one of these to be safe because it's going to take a lot to power that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...007&Tpk=hx1000
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371032

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually dont want tri... It was just a plus... And im not the biggest fan of modular power supplies... Im a wire management freak and when i look at the bottom of my case and see all those cables its jus not a good look... I prefer non modular and run all the cables behind the mobo tray and zip tie everything... You get just one nice neat bundle of cables running behind the case... instead of like 8 cables coming from the psu to behind the case... I think modular looks nicer on older cases that cant run behind the mobo...

My work machine has a tx850 and i count 6... I just installed another tx850 into a friends machine and it also counts 6... And also on a customers build i just finished... You guessed it 6 pcie connections... All these tx850 are brand new... So im guessing they added it later on and didnt tell anyone...

Well the gs800 & tx850 are 140ea... So i wanted to stay around that price bracket

Im @ work now... Im going to open one up and take a picture... But i guess if im the only one here that is aware of it I will have to be the gunniea pig & test it out... Ill just have to borrow a friends 470 for a day...

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
They both have pros and cons. The TX850 is rated at 50*C and has all Japanese capacitors and a longer warranty. The GS800 is rated at 40*C and has Taiwanese caps. The TX is the older CWT PSH platform, while the GS is PSHII, which has a few improvements, especially under high loads. But the TX series is slowly being replaced with PSHII units.

Answer: I dunno.

• Rep+
Reactions: Atomix099

·
Nothing
4,191 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomix099 View Post
I actually dont want tri... It was just a plus... And im not the biggest fan of modular power supplies... Im a wire management freak and when i look at the bottom of my case and see all those cables its jus not a good look... I prefer non modular and run all the cables behind the mobo tray and zip tie everything... You get just one nice neat bundle of cables running behind the case... instead of like 8 cables coming from the psu to behind the case... I think modular looks nicer on older cases that cant run behind the mobo...

My work machine has a tx850 and i count 6... I just installed another tx850 into a friends machine and it also counts 6... And also on a customers build i just finished... You guessed it 6 pcie connections... All these tx850 are brand new... So im guessing they added it later on and didnt tell anyone...

Well the gs800 & tx850 are 140ea... So i wanted to stay around that price bracket

Im @ work now... Im going to open one up and take a picture... But i guess if im the only one here that is aware of it I will have to be the gunniea pig & test it out... Ill just have to borrow a friends 470 for a day...
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1512331

Yea looks like other people have too.

The corsair rep said that some of the 850s came off with 6 PCIe but they weren't supposed to.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
They both have pros and cons. The TX850 is rated at 50*C and has all Japanese capacitors and a longer warranty. The GS800 is rated at 40*C and has Taiwanese caps. The TX is the older CWT PSH platform, while the GS is PSHII, which has a few improvements, especially under high loads. But the TX series is slowly being replaced with PSHII units.

Answer: I dunno.
Work with me... what does rated 50/40*C mean... So even though the gs800 has less pcie... it will handle loads better?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I see so it runs cooler... So if it wasnt for the extra two pcie the gs800 would be better @ the same price...

Can I really use those extra two pcie @ 850watts though? Tri 470s wont work @ that load right?

·
Nothing
4,191 Posts
Quote:

Oh I see so it runs cooler... So if it wasnt for the extra two pcie the gs800 would be better @ the same price...

Can I really use those extra two pcie @ 850watts though? Tri 470s wont work @ that load right?
Not really. At stock load each one will use 215w.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Quote:

Oh I see so it runs cooler... @ that load right?
No, the temperature rating is how hot the ambient can be while the PSU can still deliver its rated output. So of course 50C is preferable to 40C, but for the most part, a PSU from a good brand will cope just as well at 50C even though its rated 40C. (Seasonic being one, they often rate their PSUs at 40C and still work 100% at 50C. The CWT made Corsair here would probably do fine too).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help... +Rep to everyone... Looks like i cant go wrong either way... But 2 more pcie + a better temp rating i think the Tx wins... Plus i just like the sound of JAP cap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts