Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wasteland Plunderer
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made my first venture into watercooling by installing a Corsair H100i V2 and I have a couple of questions...

1. When using corsair link and I swap the profile to "Performance" is it always loud? When I use this profile it sounds like a jet taking off and l could not figure out if its the pump or the Corsair fans that came with it.

2. Does everyone plug this thing up as directed in the book? I was going to hook everything up directly to molex's via adapters since I've always done this with my fans but now I'm hesitate since its so loud. I may just do the fans this way and leave the pump connected to the motherboard.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
performance means fast fan rpm = noise

plug in as it is directed - my pump is connect via a molex but fans connected to MOBO for bios fan curve. I don't use extra software.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yupe it's the pump noise, only corsair latest series AIO pump (H100i pro/ H110i pro/ H150i pro) is much much more silent as freak.

·
Wasteland Plunderer
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. If the pump is that loud I may not want to run it at 100% thru a molex then. Also I may throw in my Bitfenix Spectre fans from my old case on the radiator. I ran those always at 100% and could barely hear them.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,197 Posts
Interesting. If the pump is that loud I may not want to run it at 100% thru a molex then. Also I may throw in my Bitfenix Spectre fans from my old case on the radiator. I ran those always at 100% and could barely hear them.
It's not the pump that sounds like a jet, it's the fans. More specifically, the fans combined with the air moving through the radiator. Which bring us to the next issue....

Your Spectre fans are quiet because they simply don't move much air. They also wilt when resistance is involved, so they are a very poor choice for a dense radiator. They will drop the noise, but only because they won't be able to get adequate air through the radiator, which will decrease performance as well. They will also be louder than they are using them as case fans due to the radiator.

The most sensible way to get the noise down is to setup a custom fan curve specific to your build and likes as @poah suggested. You can also gain some silence by replacing the Corsair fans with something better, but more suited to the task than the Spectres. You should be looking for a fan with high static pressure through it's entire rpm band (not just at full speed) with a good noise profile.

·
Wasteland Plunderer
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
performance means fast fan rpm = noise

plug in as it is directed - my pump is connect via a molex but fans connected to MOBO for bios fan curve. I don't use extra software.
So you didn't set anything and you let BIOS and the motherboard control fan speed accordingly?

It's not the pump that sounds like a jet, it's the fans. More specifically, the fans combined with the air moving through the radiator. Which bring us to the next issue....

Your Spectre fans are quiet because they simply don't move much air. They also wilt when resistance is involved, so they are a very poor choice for a dense radiator. They will drop the noise, but only because they won't be able to get adequate air through the radiator, which will decrease performance as well. They will also be louder than they are using them as case fans due to the radiator.

The most sensible way to get the noise down is to setup a custom fan curve specific to your build and likes as @poah suggested. You can also gain some silence by replacing the Corsair fans with something better, but more suited to the task than the Spectres. You should be looking for a fan with high static pressure through it's entire rpm band (not just at full speed) with a good noise profile.
I'm going to get a couple of Noctua F12 chromax's for Rad fans. Everything I've read on Google seem to love the F12's for rad replacement fans. May try Poah's example and let BIOS control fan speed also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts