Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built a new computer for my son. He didn't want water cooled but I convinced him in an AIO.

Equipment

• I9 CPU 12900k not OCd
  • Thermal grizzly TIM using the bead method
  • Asus ROG strix z690e MB
  • RTX 3090ti ftw GPU
The CPU temps are hovering at around 99c. GPU temps are 75c. I mounted the AIO say the top of the case with the blowing out. Should I change it to sucking in from ambient? Front case fans are pulling in. There's no back fan, thought the case had one but defiant so I need to order one.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
I just built a new computer for my son. He didn't want water cooled but I convinced him in an AIO.

Equipment
  • I9 CPU 12900k not OCd
  • Thermal grizzly TIM using the bead method
  • Asus ROG strix z690e MB
  • RTX 3090ti ftw GPU
The CPU temps are hovering at around 99c. GPU temps are 75c. I mounted the AIO say the top of the case with the blowing out. Should I change it to sucking in from ambient? Front case fans are pulling in. There's no back fan, thought the case had one but defiant so I need to order one.
Are you using the LGA1700 mount and standoff as they are 1mm lower than the lga1200.

I have a few 12900k/kf/ks on Arctic 420 AIO and it will run in 80c or lower under something like r23 when running a stress test at default clocks. So 99c something is not right with the mount.

What are you using to test that shows 99c on the CPU? If something like p95 small ffts that is why. Something like r23 should be easily cooled by 280 to 360 AIO on stock 12900k.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
No, it's while he was playing red dead redemption on Max settings. The AIO cooler came with a second bag labeled 1700 kit so that's what I used
Those are crazy high temps for gaming. Usually in the 60c range would be normal while gaming.

You need to see what kind of voltage the cpu is seeing under load and check the mount buy checking block/ihs imprint.

I doubt switching fans will make much of a difference it sounds like a mount issue to me.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
What you could try is taking the side panel off and see if temps drop. I overlooked the GPU heating the air up inside the case and that is going thru the rad. Maybe the fan direction would help more than I was thinking.

You could run OCCT Power test which stresses both cpu and gpu at the same time. Test with side panel on and off to see how much temps drop. OCBASE/OCCT : Free, all-in-one stability, stress test, benchmark and monitoring tool for your PC

If you see a big drop in temps with side panel off switching the fan will probably help.

·
Premium Member
28,526 Posts
Would sure help if we knew what case, case fans, case fan setup, room air temp, etc are.

• Rep+
Reactions: bscool

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes something is off, my 12900K package oscillates in the 50-60 range. This is with a custom loop including the GPU but a good AIO should achieve similar temperatures.

·
Senior Overclocker
5,192 Posts
Case is in the title. Fan directions are in the first post. Am I missing something?
You should re-seat the AIO and also move it on the front panel for best temps. If its top mounted as exhaust, it will run considerably hotter than front mounted where it draws fresh ambient air constantly.
Make sure to also have at least a couple of fans for exhaust, back and top mounted and you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
28,526 Posts
Almost everyone who's build many systems with new parts has done it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts