Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I understand correctly, the Corsair 650D only allows you to install a bottom mount PSU? It has a removable filter tray from the bottom to allow for clean air to be sucked into the PSU, but my only concern is that my computer case would be sitting on carpet. It's not an incredibly thick carpet, but it's not a hardwood floor either. Would this be an issue for air flow or should the gap between the case and the carpet be enough? Would it also make more sense to find a case with a top mounted PSU for improved intake?

Or am I actually mistaken, and the 650D also allows you to top mount a PSU?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious, why do quality computer cases have the PSU placement on the bottom? Is it because it's easier to get access to and screw into place rather than a top mount?

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by revlimiter;13088074
Just curious, why do quality computer cases have the PSU placement on the bottom? Is it because it's easier to get access to and screw into place rather than a top mount?
Putting the PSU on bottom opens up the top for exhaust fans and radiator placement. This provides substantially better cooling potential.

Also, it guarantees cold air intake for the PSU.

If you don't want the PSU to intake from under the case, you can turn it upside down in the 600T/650D and it'll work that way, as well, so if you have thick carpet you have no worries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts