Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running into a problem with my PSU making a crackling noise when any games are loaded (basically under any higher than idle stress). I've submitted a ticket but am unable to pull up the original receipt anymore. My physical copy faded out entirely and I have no email copy and the store can't pull it up as it was a cash purchase.

My last request was to provide the serial number which I did and a request to provide receipts for any other corsair products I own. I assume the last part was maybe to base a decision off customer loyalty but my case, psu and cooler were all purchased at the same time sadly so couldn't really provide anything there.

Trying to avoid just having to purchase a new PSU now and wanted to see if anyone had any advice or experience with this type of situation. I've had the PSU about 3 years, maybe 4 tops at this point and I believe they're covered under a 7 year warranty.

Edit:

The PSU is a HX 850

·
Senior OCN Member
39,862 Posts
Which PSU do you have as there is a HX850 listed under your sig but when i click on it i get a page saying its the HX1000.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,862 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Over on the Corsair forums, Corsair has adamantly refused to honor warranties without receipts, even if the serial number would indicate the warranty hasn't run out. Lately, Corsair has also been requiring people to return the cables with the PSU for warranty returns. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Although too late to help the OP, I'm using this sad incident to exhort everyone to religiously keep up with the receipts for items with a warranty and to also make a digital copy of each receipt (even a cell phone photo is better than nothing if you don't have a scanner). Even with backward companies that still insist on having an original receipt for warranty purposes, a copy of a receipt would give you a leg up in small claims court or a consumer advocate complaint if you do lose the original or the original has faded to useless. Before filing the receipt, write the name of the seller, the product, and the purchase date in an inconspicuous place on the receipt in pencil (unlike ink, pencil will not fade) so you can later ID a faded receipt.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

Over on the Corsair forums, Corsair has adamantly refused to honor warranties without receipts, even if the serial number would indicate the warranty hasn't run out. Lately, Corsair has also been requiring people to return the cables with the PSU for warranty returns. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Although too late to help the OP, I'm using this sad incident to exhort everyone to religiously keep up with the receipts for items with a warranty and to also make a digital copy of each receipt (even a cell phone photo is better than nothing if you don't have a scanner). Even with backward companies that still insist on having an original receipt for warranty purposes, a copy of a receipt would give you a leg up in small claims court or a consumer advocate complaint if you do lose the original or the original has faded to useless. Before filing the receipt, write the name of the seller, the product, and the purchase date in an inconspicuous place on the receipt in pencil (unlike ink, pencil will not fade) so you can later ID a faded receipt.
Shucks... well that kinda sucks. Surprising these days considering there are companies that can do warranty exclusively based on the serial regardless whether original owner or otherwise.

I've almost exclusively used Corsair PSU's for all of my building needs and have gone through quite a few of them since I like playing in the BST market. First one to give me any trouble so guess I'm at least lucky in that regard!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts