Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, i have 6GB 2000Mhz DDR3 tri-channel Corsair Dominator GT RAM on an ASUS Rampgae 3 Xtreme MoBo, and its awesome memory! My friend, has 6GB 2000Mhz DDR3 Tri-channel G.Skill Ripjaw RAM, and he says i should switch my dominator GTs to the same ones he has, the ripjaws. My dominators GTs look sick! And so does my friend's ripjaws, but in the longrun, which RAM is better between corsair dominator GTs and G.Skill Ripjaws? And, which is a better fir for gaming and my particular Mobo?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
42 Posts
Those G.SKill look ugly, black cover and green PCB.
Aesthetic wise, Dominator is much better
performance wise, I dont think they are in any way inferior to each other.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Do you happen to know which version of the Dommies you have? It would be at the end of the serial number.

If it ends with V2.X, you have Hypers which are the best IC's out there.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 13thirty7 View Post
Okay, i have 6GB 2000Mhz DDR3 tri-channel Corsair Dominator GT RAM on an ASUS Rampgae 3 Xtreme MoBo, and its awesome memory! My friend, has 6GB 2000Mhz DDR3 Tri-channel G.Skill Ripjaw RAM, and he says i should switch my dominator GTs to the same ones he has, the ripjaws. My dominators GTs look sick! And so does my friend's ripjaws, but in the longrun, which RAM is better between corsair dominator GTs and G.Skill Ripjaws? And, which is a better fir for gaming and my particular Mobo?
Why? If they are both running at the same speed/timings, then there won't be any performance difference.

I would just stick with the Dominators.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PureLogic View Post
i'd stick with those sexy Dom GTs of yours

which one has better timing though and is better for overclocking? And, better for my Rampage III MoBo?

specs for both to compare:
---------------------------------

Dominator GT:

DDR3
2000Mhz
6GB
1.65V
triple channel
8-9-8-24
---------

G.Skills Ripjaws

DDR3
2000Mhz
6GB
1.65V
triple channel
9-9-9-2N

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx View Post
Do you happen to know which version of the Dommies you have? It would be at the end of the serial number.

If it ends with V2.X, you have Hypers which are the best IC's out there.
i totally forget?! lol :-( This guy on Newegg gave my RAM horrible reviews because he said with the asus rampage 3 board he couldnt clock it anywhere near 2000Mhz, highest he could get was 1700, and that it only posted 4GB when he had 6GB, and he said everything with the DIMM slots was fine....i wonder why it was like that with him? It just makes me nervous that he has the same memory as me with the same motherboard and he had these problems,lol.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 13thirty7 View Post
i totally forget?! lol :-( This guy on Newegg gave my RAM horrible reviews because he said with the asus rampage 3 board he couldnt clock it anywhere near 2000Mhz, highest he could get was 1700, and that it only posted 4GB when he had 6GB, and he said everything with the DIMM slots was fine....i wonder why it was like that with him? It just makes me nervous that he has the same memory as me with the same motherboard and he had these problems,lol.
People are stupid, especially people on Newegg. Pushing 2000 requires a good amount of QPI/VTT because your uncore has to be at 4GHz.

The only time I've had issues with the memory amounts being incorrect was when I was pushing a speed that wasn't stable. If you're not having issues with your memory, don't switch. There have been reports of incorrect memory amounts with tons of different types.

You can just look at the memory to see the version. You can also look at the timings though they don't sound like Hypers. Hypers would probably be 2000 8-8-8 or 7-7-7.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx View Post
People are stupid, especially people on Newegg. Pushing 2000 requires a good amount of QPI/VTT because your uncore has to be at 4GHz.

The only time I've had issues with the memory amounts being incorrect was when I was pushing a speed that wasn't stable. If you're not having issues with your memory, don't switch. There have been reports of incorrect memory amounts with tons of different types.

You can just look at the memory to see the version. You can also look at the timings though they don't sound like Hypers. Hypers would probably be 2000 8-8-8 or 7-7-7.
yeah i hear ya, probably sumthin he did wrong most likely,lol. Its just i get so paranoid when reading reviews that it seriously, in the past, has made me return or decide to buy a product,lol. I want to OC my memory, 2000Mhz would be great but if its a little less i dont care, high is high,lol. The dominator GT RAM is fine for my motherboard though right? I should be able to OC it okay? Read this guy's review so you understand what exactly he had problems with, and, if i will have the same issues:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-318-_-Product

·
Registered
257 Posts
Your Dominators GT are GREAT!

I have the Corsair XMS3 1333MHz and it OC from 1333MHz to 1680MHZ without any voltage increase -- it goes to 1720MHZ on 1.52V! The Corsairs are so good, I'm considering to upgrade my XMS3 to Dominators such as yours, so my i7-920 can strech its legs above 4.5GHz, which is what it reaches on Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz (Mem. Multipiler [x8]).

If I were you, I would stick with Corsair Dominator GT!

Johnny

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Just stay with your Dominators, the Performance is approximately equal, plus your Dominators look way better imo, never liked the looks of the Ripjaws... although It's a kickass memory.

Just my opinion ^^

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by redhat_ownage View Post
i buy ram based on the chips, like back in the old days.
pretty ram gets you nowhere.
Dude, I totally get all the ladies because my RAM is pretty. Then I show them they're Hypers and they beg me to procreate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by redhat_ownage View Post
i buy ram based on the chips, like back in the old days.
pretty ram gets you nowhere.
I like your point....do you mind to elaborate more?
Appreciate that very much

·
OG AMD
8,879 Posts
I think they are probably pretty close performance wise.No need to change RAM because someone else has them.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NemesisCavalry View Post
I like your point....do you mind to elaborate more?
Appreciate that very much

Memory is much more than the brand name on the outside, as they don't actually make the RAM chips (IC's) themselves. Manufacturers like Corsair and Crucial and OCZ and all those companies buy the IC's from a few select IC makers. Different IC's have different characteristics and may outperform others.

Currently, Eplida Hyper MGH-E's are the best IC's out there. These can be found in some Corsair memory (if the part number on the stick ends in V2x) and on some of their more expensive models like the GTX2's ($250 a stick), and in some other manufacturers as well (Super Talent currently has some sticks for sale that use Hypers). These are the only chips capable of running 7-7-7 and 8-8-8 for 2000+ at stock 1.65V consistently. If you see a kit with those timings and those speeds, you can almost guarantee it's a set of Hypers. Mine, for instance, run 2133MHz at 8-8-8 21. Definite Hypers.

Closely behind are PWC's which can be found in Mushkin Ridgelines and some other sticks. These tend to have a higher second timings (6-8-6, 7-8-7, etc.) and usually take a bit more voltage for the same CAS timing as Hypers. They can scale as high, but the timings are usually not as tight.

Then there are other brands like JMicron, which are very common. Their D9 sticks vary a lot and can be great clockers or terrible clockers. Mine were okay. They'd do 2000 8-8-8 24 at 1.7V. I couldn't even boot 2000 C7 with them, which was cake for my Hypers.

Unfortunately, most manufacturers don't openly disclose which chips they use on their memory. You can use your own judgement to try to figure it out or search the internet. Sometimes you won't be able to find out.

• Rep+
Reactions: Calamity
1 - 20 of 24 Posts