Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I RMAd some Corsair Dominators 2 x 1gb ddr2 800mhz 4-4-4-12 ram. They OCed to 1200mhz at 2.2v, for which they were rated.

In return I received:

XMS2 2 x 1gb ddr2 800mhz 4-4-4-12 ram. I noted the chips say 2.10v ver5.1

So I am just wondering, did I get ripped off? I mean the stock performance for both chips is the same, and they appear very similar, except the dominators are black and purple and appear to be on their higher quality products list, and these XMS2 appear to be the more generic high end of the budget line-up. The replacement chips are BNIB, and I havent tested their OC ability.

Feedback?

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Possibly. the only issue is that Corsair is only obligated to replace with a like item. (as in, the OC potential of each set is moot as they were only ever guaranteed to run at stock) 1200 is pretty good for any DDR2 800. i would be surprised if the XMS2's could to that, nevermind at stock volts.

·
I TeK things...
17,448 Posts
I would complain. Dominators have a much better heatspreader than the XMS series.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Never used the Doms, but if it happened to me, I'd want the same thing I had.

Just common sense...

• Rep+
Reactions: superk

·
Registered
912 Posts
I was always under the impression that the Dominators were a better line than XMS2 not to mention the heat spreaders.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
Your original ram was either D9GMH or D9GKX, they are both EOL so no matter what ram you get you won't be reaching 1200. I would still want the Dominators though as they are the better product

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedevil
View Post

I would complain. Dominators have a much better heatspreader than the XMS series.

The heatspreaders appear to be VERY similar.

These are what I sent out

and these are what I got back (except 2x1gb not 2x2). Identical in every way.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I would complain to customer service and I would want the exact same thing back.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by superk
View Post

I just noticed these are single sided chips. My old dominators were double sided.

Yup! You had D9's and now you either have PROMO's or some other generic memory chip, they will get nowhere near 1200 without 2.5v probably

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by huntman21014
View Post

Yup! You had D9's and now you either have PROMO's or some other generic memory chip, they will get nowhere near 1200 without 2.5v probably

I had thought the single sided were still microns, just not as good as the double? I had a similar issue when I RMA'd my ballistix. I have 2 sets go bad and one was replaced with single and the others were replaced by doubles.

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
I would really want a set of dominators. Despite the fact the XMS2 look similar you will see a hit on resale value let alone that you may not be able to overclock the XMS2 as much.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
on the phone with corsair right now. they say they are elpida chips or something? the dominator 800mhz model is discontinued because 800mhz is now a standard apparantly. Dominators only exist in non-standard (regulated) parts (IE, 1066)

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by superk
View Post

on the phone with corsair right now. they say they are elpida chips or something? the dominator 800mhz model is discontinued because 800mhz is now a standard apparantly. Dominators only exist in non-standard (regulated) parts (IE, 1066)

If they are indeed different IC's, I would try to convince them to send you the faster sticks.

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dralb
View Post

If they are indeed different IC's, I would try to convince them to send you the faster sticks.

THIS!!

The XMS2's aren't worth nearly as much retail wise as the Dominators, tell them to refund you the full purchase price if they won't send out comparable Dominators, then just ask to speak with the guys manager

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
Yep, complain. I have those XMS2's , although mine are double sided.

They have slightly lower binned chips and aren't quite as solid but overall do a good job.
The Heatspreaders are IDENTICAL, Corsair just made black ones for the Dominators.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
W00T!

Ok well I called customer service, who redirected me to tech support, who redirected me to customer service (weird I know, but read on). Customer service has considered the situation and is now sending me a pair of 1066mhz dominators 5-5-5-15 to replace my 800mhz!

It may or may not be micron D9s but since micron is slowing down production of all chips, and discontinued the amazing D9s at least I know im getting high binned chips.

+1 for Corsair!

Almost forgot to mention, Corsair is pre-paying return shipping both ways

IMMA MAKE IT KNOWN THAT CORSAIR DOMINATES!

EDIT

Gotta go find a UPS store before it closes (4pm already) and when im back ill rep+ everybody who helped! Thanks all!)

EDIT2

CROSS SHIPPING EVEN

1 - 20 of 32 Posts