Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
U guys think it would handle it? My CPU/mobo/memory is really ancient which is why I ask this question as stickies and PSU guides on the interwebs don't include hardware like mine from the 16th century.

PSU Specs:
+3.3v=20A
+5v=20A
+12v=33A

The PSU calculator says my exact system specs would use a max of 429watts with the 460gtx, but i'm not sure how reliable that calculator is.

Also, would it handle a GPU overclock too? to 900mhz on the core or around that

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
PSU will be sufficient. You won't see any difference with that GTX460 over say a GTS250 though. At least with that CPU....

• Rep+
Reactions: Scorpion667

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I don't expect performance to go up much but I cant afford a new rig all at once; I have to buy a few parts every month, figure might as well enjoy the video card while i make more moneys. Besides COD6 is not very CPU dependent, I get 72 to 90FPS already with my 4670. I mean I could save for another month and maybe get the cpu/mobo/mem upgrade but I don't really use anything cpu dependant besides watching pr0n.

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post
Yeah, I don't expect performance to go up much but I cant afford a new rig all at once; I have to buy a few parts every month, figure might as well enjoy the video card while i make more moneys. Besides COD6 is not very CPU dependent, I get 72 to 90FPS already with my 4670. I mean I could save for another month and maybe get the cpu/mobo/mem upgrade but I don't really use anything cpu dependant besides watching pr0n.
To be perfectly honest with you, upgrading your CPU, motherboard, and memory WILL be a much larger upgrade over GPU for you. I know, I just came from an almost identical setup.

My old setup:
Opteron 165 @ 3.0GHz
4GB DDR400
HD4850

Upgrading just my CPU, board, and memory made almost ALL of my games playable at maxed out settings (except GTA IV and Crysis). Like over 60 FPS maxed out. I only have the 4890 because I traded my old motherboard for it.

I would STRONGLY suggest you look into CPU / board / RAM upgrades first. Your current 4670 is going to perform SOO much better wtih a better CPU. You won't even realize you were bottlenecked until you experience it.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I'm with Pioneer on this one. I'd rather my pc be fast at multiple things rather than just one thing (games), well kinda. Just like they said, you're gonna have a big bottleneck.

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I'm with Pioneer on this one. I'd rather my pc be fast at multiple things rather than just one thing (games), well kinda. Just like they said, you're gonna have a big bottleneck.
The problem is, upgrading to a GTX460 over his current HD4670 will net him almost NO increase in anything. That CPU just will not perform quickly enough to warrant the new GPU. Again, I JUST came from a similar setup just a month ago. The differences of going to a new CPU was literally night and day.

EDIT:
Scorpion667:
I do want to make one thing clear here. There's nothing wrong persay with your setup currently. That's actually a VERY balanced machine as is. I rocked my 939 gear for a good 4 years. But I am telling you this from experience, that CPU just can't handle a bigger GPU over your current 4670. I went back and forth between 9600GT, 8800GT, GTS250, HD4850, HD4830, HD4870....absolutely not ONE of those GPU's were any stronger than the last one. They all performed identical with my Opteron at 3.0GHz. We're talking about a very wide variety of GPU's, including SLI on 9600GT's and 8800's. Absolutely every GPU upgrade was pointless, even the SLI performed on par with single cards.

Seriously, at this point you NEED a better CPU to appreciate a new GPU upgrade.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I also am with pioneer on this the cpu+mobo+ram would be better

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
u guys teamed up against me fine i guess ill upgrade cpu/mobo/memory first
jeez.

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post
u guys teamed up against me fine i guess ill upgrade cpu/mobo/memory first
jeez.

It's not a matter of teaming up on you. I'm just trying to help you get the biggest bang per buck for your upgrade. And a GPU upgrade just isn't it right now.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Indeed. I was just kidding about you guys teaming up on me, I know you guys speak the truth, I suppose I was in denial since the cpu/mobo/mem upgrade would require me to not buy anything for another month (AMD) or two (Intel).

Valuable input guys, +reps all around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts