Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is simple and relates to the settings printed on the memory stick sticker. It says the following:

1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) 9-9-9-24 1.65V

Does 1.65V represent the maximum voltage or the required voltage? I'm asking because my BIOS gives me an evil red-texted over-voltage warning when I set the voltage to 1.65V. It could be that my BIOS is a pansy too.
BIOS
gunner.gif

·
Iconoclast
32,786 Posts
Maximum recommended voltage.

Personally, I always use as few volts as I can get away with. Been quite a while since I ran any of my DDR3 at the full 1.65v rated voltage.

Ignore the BIOS warning, there is no magical line where one voltage setting is safe and then a hundredth of a volt higher is not. Regardless, only use what you need.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixson01974;11925278
Required voltage to run it @ that speed and timing. Most DDR3 can handle up to 1.75v.
Thanks. I'm new to overclocking and such. For the past month I've been trying to figure out why I keep getting random lag under low-loads. I had my memory voltage set to 1.63V thinking that 1.65V was the max. Changed the voltage to 1.65, lost the lag. WHAT A NOOB I AM
redface.gif

·
RTX Sight Unseen
2,373 Posts
I use very similar memory, I think my is rated 8-7-8, but I run it at 9-9-9 and am stable at 1.5v.

Edit: I find that even though they say 1.65v usually only when you have 1866+ memory do you ever need that much power, but every chip is going to be different and have different power needs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy360;11925342
lol I just got that RAM in the mail today! yeah that's normal, most bios give a warning when the voltage is above 1.60v, its pretty difficult to get RAM that's below that voltage and its nothing to worry about
smile.gif
haha, cool. I found out the hard way (or the noob way) that unless the voltage is set to the sticker specifications, you'll get random lag at the most stupid times ie: 45 second "not responding" delay when opening a PDF document. Correct voltage settings fixed this issue.

·
Banned
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superunintelligible;11925370
haha, cool. I found out the hard way (or the noob way) that unless the voltage is set to the sticker specifications, you'll get random lag at the most stupid times ie: 45 second "not responding" delay when opening a PDF document. Correct voltage settings fixed this issue.
yeah, I havnt used this RAM yet so I don't know what it can do but I would go for tighter timings rather than higher clock speeds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy360;11925422
yeah, I havnt used this RAM yet so I don't know what it can do but I would go for tighter timings rather than higher clock speeds.
Question about that: to get higher timings on these RAM sticks, is that going to be a matter of lowering them one digit at a time, running memtest, and possibly increasing voltage more? I know these sticks can run faster, just haven't tried it yet.

·
Premium Member
18,622 Posts
My XMS Classics recommend 1.65v, but my Asus P6T motherboard only does 1.64v or 1.66v. So, it's been running 1.66v for well over a year now with no problems.

The warning is similar to Intel's maximum recommended voltage. You try not to exceed it, but going a bit over isn't a problem.

·
Banned
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superunintelligible;11925482
Question about that: to get higher timings on these RAM sticks, is that going to be a matter of lowering them one digit at a time, running memtest, and possibly increasing voltage more? I know these sticks can run faster, just haven't tried it yet.
just look it up and google it a bit, I would say that the maximum might be something like 9-8-7-22 but as iv said I have not used them yet, it might go lower. also the voltage does not need to be increased from my experience

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex98uk;11925502
My XMS Classics recommend 1.65v, but my Asus P6T motherboard only does 1.64v or 1.66v. So, it's been running 1.66v for well over a year now with no problems.

The warning is similar to Intel's maximum recommended voltage. You try not to exceed it, but going a bit over isn't a problem.
Intel is a little different than AMD. I heard that if you put too much voltage to memory it will burn up the IMC on Intel, but with AMD the memory voltage will not effect the IMC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.