Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference between CPU Core voltage and CPU VID voltage.

When my oc'ed PC is idle I have the following: "Idle.jpg"

When it has a tiny load I see this: "small load.JPG"

I was under the impression since the CPU idles at ~800Mhz that the voltage would also be low and when the CPU ramps up to the OC'ed value (~4.7Ghz) that the voltage would also ramp up. But from what I have been reading, the CPU Core voltage is what the CPD is actually drawing. If that's the case then even at idle it appears my CPU is drawing ~1.4 volts? I thought it was supposed to ramp down when the load wasn't there?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated !!!!

THANKS

BTW, the CPU is an i7-6700K

Attachments

·
Overclocking
9,248 Posts
What's the difference between CPU Core voltage and CPU VID voltage.

When my oc'ed PC is idle I have the following: "Idle.jpg"

When it has a tiny load I see this: "small load.JPG"

I was under the impression since the CPU idles at ~800Mhz that the voltage would also be low and when the CPU ramps up to the OC'ed value (~4.7Ghz) that the voltage would also ramp up. But from what I have been reading, the CPU Core voltage is what the CPD is actually drawing. If that's the case then even at idle it appears my CPU is drawing ~1.4 volts? I thought it was supposed to ramp down when the load wasn't there?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated !!!!

THANKS

BTW, the CPU is an i7-6700K
what power saving states are enabled in the BIOS?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Core voltage is voltage supplied to CPU from VRM.

VID voltage is the 'requested' voltage from CPU when using automatic voltages.

This requested voltage varies per CPU and it is not in use when using manually set voltages.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies guys!!

I turned on "Adaptive mode" and now the CPU Core voltage is .830V at idle !!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts