Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been having a ton of problems with the PC I just reassembled in a new case. Sometimes a single stick of RAM showed up, sometimes they both did not show up and my motherboard made a beep code telling me that no RAM was installed. Other times my PC just shut down a second after clicking the button. Other times my PC booted and said I do not have a stable overclock. No combination of RAM and RAM slot would fix it.

So I made a few threads on a few forums to try and get it fixed. I tried everything everyone posted but nothing seemed to work. Then I called Microcenter (I have insurance on my motherboard via Microcenter). The guy told me a few things but the one that sounded strange was "Did you screw all the screws into the motherboard standoffs?" I said I would try it and now miraculously I no longer have any issues. My PC starts up fine and works perfectly as if I did not have any issues at all!

So I know this could just be that my system just started working, but exactly right after I powered it on the system booted fine after screwing in 2 screws that I had not screwed in due to not being bothered to reach in the tight area and screw them in.

Anyway, what exactly does the screw have to do with my RAM not working? What about the standoffs? How could they possible effect my RAM?

Also, I tried shutting down and restarting 15 times after, and not a single issue. Before every time I rebooted I would get issues.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet-205 View Post

Standoff is used to ensure that there will be no short out between the case and the motherboard.
I've had that exact issue with my first build as I didn't know about the standoffs and it kept randomly restarting so it took me a while to figure that out. I agree with above if you don't have standoffs installed then that definitely could be your issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts