Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a socket 939 x2 4400. I haven't been able to do over a 200mhz oc for ages. I used to think it was because of my **** mobo, but could it be because of this?
http://www.compusa.com/applications/...179&CatId=1079

It's basically a generic power supply. I have an OC'ed 260 gtx in my system, a x-fi soundcard, and a raptor which takes up quite a bit of power.

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
I think if your PSU is the problem, it'll reboot your computer when it runs out of the amperage needed for the OC/CPU. Since you only have a dual core, and a 500W, I really can't see that being the issue. I think I had the same CPU as you (2.4GHz 1.2v stock?), and on a 430W PSU I was able to OC it to 3GHz (250MHz x 12) @ 1.4v.

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Your PSU looks just fine, it has a good amount of wattage and amperage, and unless something is wrong with it, then you should be fine.

I would test it if I were you, take out the GTX260 and see if you can do any better than your current OC.

Usually if the PSU isn't up to the job, your computer will restart at random, although sometimes the power itself can make OCin hard, because the CPU isn't getting a steady stream of power. You can check your PSU yourself if you have access to a multimeter, that way to can tell for sure if the PSU is failing.

Good luck

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea make comp restarts randomly sometimes. PARTICULARLY DURING A GAME. Also, when I do intensive stuff, my psu makes weird ass sounds.

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zaa730
View Post

yea make comp restarts randomly sometimes. PARTICULARLY DURING A GAME. Also, when I do intensive stuff, my psu makes weird ass sounds.

Yep thats when the PSU is stressed most when gaming or running 3D apps. So it's time for a new PSU.

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
I had a PSU die on me once, and it would shutdown most when the temps were high, and/or when there was a high load, which is definitely the case when your gaming and doing other CPU intensive tasks.

I was meaning that the specs of your PSU looked fine for your setup... but obviously if its making weird noises (especially if they're new noises, that weren't there when you first bought it), then something is wrong with it, and it should be replaced.

I would stick with a good quality PSU, as that is really the basis of a good system. You'll have less heat, noise, and stability issues if you get a more reputable brand, as well as saving money in the long run, as most of the more expensive PSU's are more efficient. Try to stick with Corsair, seasonic, PC power & cooling, antec, and thermaltake... as all are great choices, and have great reputations.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts