Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently i am running a Motorola Surfboard SB5100 with a linksys WRT54g (version 1.1), at times it seems when i am either running P2P programs or even just a youtube video my internet will either drop quickly (1 second or so) or significantly slow down (youtube video wont even load). Also when i'm scanning for servers in DayZ, even limiting the amount of connections to 50ish it will still cause my internet to slow down to the point where i cant even browse OCN because the webpages wont load.

Also when i changed my wireless encryption from WEP to WPA my download speed had increased on speedtest.net from 10Mbs down to almost 30 Mbps down, could that be a issue with the router too? Even though my download speed nearly tripled from that, the internet problems above still remain and my upload speed still stays at the crippled 0.5 Mbps.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Holy crap you were using the epitome of unsafeness WEP? That's like using a few pieces of toilet roll as a wall against a nuke. Not good enoguh.

What kind of internet do you have?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not exactly sure of the current internet plan i have ATM,should be 512 kbs upload and 10 ish Mbps down

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Ewwww WEP.

WRT54G is ancient by today's standards, and I would expect that it would give you issues with a large number of concurrent connections.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would the modem give any troubles too? And would any cheap router nowadays be an upgrade to the WRT45G?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomNomNom View Post

Not exactly sure of the current internet plan i have ATM,should be 512 kbs upload and 10 ish Mbps down
Someone might've been hacking into your network when you had WEP. But yeah, the router's ancient.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

Someone might've been hacking into your network when you had WEP. But yeah, the router's ancient.
Will the type of modem make a difference in the freezing?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
No, but if you get a more modern modem you could use WPA2.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
WPA2 is safer, for one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts