Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I have always wanted a more comfortable chair. Even with a hookup to high quality office furniture at dealer prices, I would still suffer from the "flat butt syndrome" (cleaned up the term for younger viewers) after longs hours of play. So today I changed it all! I modified a recliner to fit the bill! haha

At first I tried some moving casters from Harbor Freight, but they did not look right at all. Downright crappy looking, so I changed gears and used some casters I had almost forgotten about in the garage. They look much better and roll nicely.
I hope this encourages other people to post there modified chairs as well.

Attachments

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,604 Posts
That looks pretty comfy. A little big for my space though. I picked up one of these on sale: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Serta-Bi...ultiple-Color-Options/826827462?selected=true and put a 1" book for a shim under the front half of the mounting bracket so it would lean back more. I also use a footstool from a previous chair.

Mine is a compromise between space and comfort. Still pretty good after a year.

Springs in the cushion make a big difference. If they are not there it will go flat. Also the ad says leather for some reason, but it looks just like mine which isn't.

Those garage casters look like they were made for your chair.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
22,555 Posts
:laughings

I like it. Way too big and probably too low for my setup but it looks comfy.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
this is quite similar to what I've done.

I built an extending keyboard tray around an XXL mouse pad that slides from my desk perfectly into my favorite recliner. It was originally setup for viewing 3x 27+ size monitors :D

its so comfy that I rarely get an hour or more of gaming in before I crash.

:( I miss that bugger. it's all in storage atm.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a good looking chair rlurker, looks comfy.

Would love to see a picture skuppes!

The Pook, this is a very large chair, but it is not that low really. I raised my desk up with 2x4 blocks of wood so the chair will roll under it for now. I built the desk legs out of black iron pipe, so I can modify it when I get time, and then remove the blocks of wood.

Attachments

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
unfortunately, my desk & chair are in storage, while I'm back [email protected] my folks place for a year or two to save up enough cash to buy my first (rental) property. I figure a 4-6 unit @~$1.5k a hole is a good starter.

here's the tray though. I wasn't too worried about appearances, since the XXL mat covers up the glue/stain derps.

your desk would have to be taller, as this mounted to the bottom (see the 1x4?) via the longest heaviest duty sliders they had @ Home Depot.

as far as office chairs/gaming chairs go. avoid all the DXRacer nonsense, super uncomfortable. Maxnomic is better, but still meh.

skip go & go directly to Herman miller. They're expensive, but totally worth the investment since they're life time warrantied. We have these at work and they're by far the most comfortable office chair I've ever used. Only caviat for me would be getting a model with further neck & head support.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unfortunately, my desk & chair are in storage, while I'm back [email protected] my folks place for a year or two to save up enough cash to buy my first (rental) property. I figure a 4-6 unit @~$1.5k a hole is a good starter.

here's the tray though. I wasn't too worried about appearances, since the XXL mat covers up the glue/stain derps.

your desk would have to be taller, as this mounted to the bottom (see the 1x4?) via the longest heaviest duty sliders they had @ Home Depot.

as far as office chairs/gaming chairs go. avoid all the DXRacer nonsense, super uncomfortable. Maxnomic is better, but still meh.

skip go & go directly to Herman miller. They're expensive, but totally worth the investment since they're life time warrantied. We have these at work and they're by far the most comfortable office chair I've ever used. Only caviat for me would be getting a model with further neck & head support.
I had some rental property and want to again someday. My advice is hire management company to do all the work (collect unpaid rent in courts when people foolishly think they can skip) for 10% fee.

Okay, I see what you did there, that is a nice and simple design with the sliders. thank you for the picture

Yeah, I'm not a Fast and Furious chair kind of guy either. The chairs look cool and fast, but I wanted more cushion. lol

I told a friend what I was doing was pretty ridiculous, but that is how I roll! haha

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
hey man, everyone needs some sorta throne. :D

I have a Maxnomic or MAxtronic, whatever the hell its called, & its held up incredibly well over the years. Only problem is the tild mechanism broke, and I've yet to spend the money to order a new one.

folks just gotta realize 99% of racing chairs come out of the same factory, and if you must get one, you should really get the mid to high end models, or you'll be replacing parts in it like a 90s Ford.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts