Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

Im looking for some input, or other opinion.
The situation is:
That my build i taking to long. ( its running )
Old problems is not solved. ( water split )
Shall I upgrade the CPU. ( from 6600K to 7700K )
Got some lighting stuff I want to share. ( when its tested )

And in the end, I just wanted to hit the 5K mark.

So, should I go for the upgrade, its almost free, but a lot of work.
There is an extra bonus, that needed disassembling of the loop.

Can I?
As it is, hit the 5GHz mark?
With upgrade?
Or du I need other cooling? ( TEC? )

Or should I go for something else?

PS. Im a programmer, just need RAM and CPU...

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Upgrading to the 7700k is definitely a plus but it depends on the type of work you do and what you expect to get from your PC. disassembling your loop for such an upgrade should be the issue, you mentioned there is a water leak... is it still leaking? because if it is, you might want to make that your top priority to get it fixed before doing anything else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy New Year everybody..

@EMUracing I need to what? delid and replace stock TIM?

@Boyd Now I got a new CPU but still in the package.. So disassembling is in the future. I don't have a leak, I wanted to maker a Y split, but I need more info about it. But I cant seem to find anything on it..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBdk View Post

Happy New Year everybody..

@EMUracing I need to what? delid and replace stock TIM?

@Boyd Now I got a new CPU but still in the package.. So disassembling is in the future. I don't have a leak, I wanted to maker a Y split, but I need more info about it. But I cant seem to find anything on it..
yeah youtube delid 7700k, and why do you need a Y split?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I mention the delid of the CPU because many 7700k CPUs are capable of 5ghz, but the stock thermal paste application under the IHS is not good enough to keep thermals in check regardless of cooler. Mine was one of those, delidding took my temps at 4.9ghz down 25c.

There is plenty of information about delidding here at OCN and on youtube. Get a delid tool, makes it so much easier and safer than other methods.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK...

@EMUracing. Ok, Got it, and thanks for that nice hack/mod..
smile.gif
Haven't crossed my mind, even when it was the first thing we did with some celerons..

@2overclock . The Y split is going to be hidden, but the split from 1 to 2 tubes is cosmetic. And why? There is 2 inlets in my reservoirs. So just eye candy.. (and keeping me sane)

Any recommendation on thermal paste??

PS.
I got some custom made things, that I'm really looking forward to present to the community.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts