Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup brochachos! I've got a couple of questions for you all:

1. I've heard that to monitor temps when using unlocked cores you have to compare one temperature to another when at stock. What are these temperatures and where do I find them in HWMonitor/Speedfan? (screenshots would be appreciated greatly).

2. In my BIOS I have a "Smart Fan" option which I assume automatically adjusts the CPU and system fans based on the CPU temperature. However, doesn't unlocking cores screw up temperature monitoring, likely causing the fans to run at lowest at all times? Is there any way I can do automatic fan controlling with unlocked cores or will I have to get a fan controller?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
To your second question.
That runs off your cpu temp(Socket temp) not your core temp. It will run fine with unlock cores.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post
To your second question.
That runs off your cpu temp(Socket temp) not your core temp. It will run fine with unlock cores.
Thanks so much! Guess I just have to grab some 3-pin splitters instead of a full fan controller.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReKLiS View Post
did you manage to get your cores unlocked and were they stable?
they're stable

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Before you unlock, try to get readings of both the CPU and Core 0 and Core 1 (also core 2 if your using a tri-core) under load HWMonitor and try to establish the gap between the overall CPU tempurate and Cores 0-2 I was able to establish that cores are lower than the CPU temp by about 7-10C underload.

The core 0-2 readings will show 0C when unlocked so to estimate the temperature by subtracting the offset by from the CPU temperature which is still there, which gives you a rough estimate of the CPU core temps which is accurate within 2-3C.

About the CPU fan speeds also check the RPMS of the fans in fanspeed underload and not underload and check if the RPMS go up underload to check if your fan booster is working.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts