Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an only recently noticed spike in core temps, I decided to clear all the dust out of the computer, and to unclog all the fans. I got back into the idea of binning the old stock cooler and replacing it for a nice brand new shiny one.

I asked the same question a year ago, but never got round to buying it. So what's the newest cooler on the block? Including additional fans, thermal paste etc. I'm looking into buying a GPU and CPU cooler.

So far I've looked at: TRUE, Prolimatech Megahalems, and Prolimatech MK-13.

Keep in mind it buying to keep temps down, and allow room for overclocking, also hoping to keep the noise down.

·
Registered
528 Posts
the megahalems are a work of art IMO..... i'd say it's the best of the three you named. look for reviews that include performance specs...i'll try to find some and hit you up later.

with regard to gpu coolers...i'd try to find info on a brand called arctic cooling, or scythe. They have decent gpu cooling solutions. your case is pretty good, damn good in fact in terms of airflow so i'd suggest going passive on the gpu cooling and leave it to the case fans.

NB be wary of frostytech performance reviews...i find them to be a bit questionable

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Toro Libre View Post
Kk thank you very much, apparently the thermalright GPU coolers are pretty good, and using stock fans on GPU the temps hit between the low 50s and high 60s.

In terms of the megahalems do i need to buy a fan to go with it or shall I leave it as it comes? Also thermal paste?

Thanks again!
you will need to buy fans for it.It doesnt come with anyfans. It does come with thermal paste but I never used it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Megahalems. As for fans, most reviews use the worst fans you can find. 800rpm 40cfm. Get something with around 2000rpm and 100cfm, it will be phenomenal. The thermal paste that comes with it is pretty good, only a couple degrees higher than the MX-3 I put on the other day.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by arfaad View Post
the megahalems are a work of art IMO..... i'd say it's the best of the three you named. look for reviews that include performance specs...i'll try to find some and hit you up later.
Indeed they are...

(and PS... I've done a LOT of cable management since this photo... don't rag on me too hard...)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swae View Post
Megahalems. As for fans, most reviews use the worst fans you can find. 800rpm 40cfm. Get something with around 2000rpm and 100cfm, it will be phenomenal. The thermal paste that comes with it is pretty good, only a couple degrees higher than the MX-3 I put on the other day.
In my photo... Gentle Typhoon 1850cfm fans... It's a beast...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Noctua nh d14 beats all of those coolers you mentioned. Comes with thermal paste and two good noctua fans

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Toro Libre View Post
Haha nice it does look pretty awesome! So 2 of those gentle typhoons? In the picture are you using a GPU cooler? I'm thinking of getting arctic silver 5 thermal paste, is it worth it?

Thanks again!
Unless you already have it, I would just the stuff that comes with the cooler.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DXcellence718
View Post

Noctua nh d14 beats all of those coolers you mentioned. Comes with thermal paste and two good noctua fans

I've never really been a fan of noctua, don't really know why its just never appealed to me...

But at least most of us can agree on the Prolimatech Megahalems, and gentle typhoons, unless anyone else can suggest a good fan to go with the megahalems?

Is it worth overclocking the CPU and GPU, once I've bought the coolers?

Still no recommendations on the GPU cooler....

Thanks once again!

·
Registered
742 Posts
For a gpu cooler, maybe get a Accelero S1 and attach a fan to it. That's what I did and my 4870 doesn't pass 60C while gaming.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Toro Libre
View Post

I've never really been a fan of noctua, don't really know why its just never appealed to me...

But at least most of us can agree on the Prolimatech Megahalems, and gentle typhoons, unless anyone else can suggest a good fan to go with the megahalems?

Is it worth overclocking the CPU and GPU, once I've bought the coolers?

Thanks once again!

the MK13 is a great CPU cooler but takes up 3 slots below the card :x

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Toro Libre
View Post

For your 9800 GTX+, the PROLIMATECH MK-13 is probably the best solution right now. It has very good build quality and accessories to allow different fan configurations.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
As the owner of both a Megahalems and a Noctua NH-D14, I can tell you that the D14 is better. With its included fans it is about the same in cooling performance as a Megahalems with a San Ace 9G1212H1011, but it is at least 10 decibels quieter - that's less than half as loud.

If you put that same San Ace on the front of a D14, you will get 2c better cooling than the Megahalems, which is hard to do, considering how very good the Megatron is.

BTW - for fan comparisons on the Megahalems, check the study in my sig.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sooo... i should get both the Prolimatech Megahalems, and MK-13.
what about amount of fans, 2 for the CPU cooler and 1 for the GPU? (push/pull)
Apparently if i mount the MK-13 on top of the GPU it doesnt take up 3 slots?

so the San Ace 9G1212H1011 is the best fan to go for, and use the thermal paste that comes with the Megahalem?

EDIT:
Megahalem = £40.98
MK-13= £46.99
Sanyo Denki 9G1212H1011 X3 = £15.99
Total = £135.94 (british pounds)
Total = $206.70 (american dollars)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts