Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I noticed during a recent mishap with my new FX-8320 not there is no guide for fixing a bent pin situation so I thought that I would
make one! of course a good guide needs pictures... and in this case, a sacrificial lamb!
In advance i would like to apologize for the quality of the pictures, it is hard to get a good closeup with an iPhone 4!

what we have here is a socket 478 Intel P4 as our model. As you can see on the top left of the photo I have not been kind to this chip. I dropped it onto a tile floor from waist height. twice. I knew I had done damage the second time when it hardly bounced!

another fuzzy image of the chip.

Step 1.STAY CALM!

This is easier said than done but keeping your head about you may help you in the repair. focus! you have an important task ahead! Think of it as Schrodingers' Chip: the chip is neither alive nor dead until you do something about it.

Step 2. Evaluate!

how many pins are bent? are any crushed? missing? are any of the pins bent over so far as to be crossing into other rows? Surveying the damage will help you assess the situation and move forward safely. This normally goes without saying but please remain grounded throughout the repair.

In my case I bent quite a few over into the next row as the brunt of this fall was taken by the pins in the corner.
I used a push pin, sliding in from the outside row to get these pins standing a little more straight. the pins are delicate so apply slight pressure while you are doing it. if your pins are bent over deeper into the rows and you can't get to them with a Pushpin try a sewing needle, thin gauge.

Step 3. I hope you have good credit!
You'll need a credit/debit card or something near that thickness (and perhaps a thinner one if needed) to do this next step. What you'll need to do is take the card and gently slid it through the row of pins to straighten the pins as you go through them. sometimes you need to use a thinner card to do this depending on how far the pins are still bent over. Go through the rows moving the damaged pins from both directions until you have them sufficiently straightened out.

Step 4. Check your work!
Ensure that you haven't missed any pins that need to be moved, that last thing you want to do is crush a pin when you could have easily moved it. The pins don't have to be "factory perfect" but they should be at least in good straight rows with no stragglers sticking out. you know you've done a good job when it drops in easily, T.I.M. it up, and if you've done it right you should have a wonderful P.O.S.T. beep as your reward. Good luck guys!

All back to straight!

·
Amiga 500
3,701 Posts
Very easy to understand and helpful guide!!+REP
thumb.gif
Hope I never/ever have to use it though

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

I use a straightpin + medium paper clip
Push the straightpin down the row flat..then pick up from the back.
Then "comb" with a fresh medium paper clip opened up halfway. (so you're only using 1 "u" of it.
With this one I did use a paperclip to help things along, it's tight and a little agressive so I only used it in the final stage to ensure all the pins were back into position!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAs81 View Post

Very easy to understand and helpful guide!!+REP
thumb.gif
Hope I never/ever have to use it though
Thanks!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I used an ID card to straighten out a lot of pins on an APU. Definitely works well to ensure all pins stay aligned. I think I used a toothpick to start, for those few really bent pins. Works great to this day, and I actually kinda like how the chip fits snug in a mobo, rather than loose.

I thought there was a guide, or at least a thread, somewhere on these forums I found before attempting to repair it. I wasn't sure how safe/stable it would be, but I found out what I needed to know here on OCN.
thumb.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.