Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys sorry if this is the wrong section i searched and couldnt figure out where this belonged.

i am looking for a case that can hold multiple cpu's for storage.
i have several processors not currently being used some will be for sale and others are being kept for futer use in low end pc builds for friends and family .

i am not currently aware of any product meant for this i tried the usual sites
new egg
performance pcs
frozencpu

so if anyone knows of a rack,case or divided box either meant for cpu storage or that will work for my purposes without damaging my cpus pl,ease let me know

thank you in advance,

also i need one for my old pentium 4 chips as i am going to do some extreme overclocking on them for fun purposes ,just to watch them burn lol.

·
Banned
5,028 Posts
do what i do:
go to joann fabrics or some other arts and crafts store
buy some foam
put the CPUs in the foam to protect the pins.
place CPUs in a box.

there ya go

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys ,i found one way but not sure how long term or how durable the case would be ,but i found on another forum you can take the cd holder tray out of a cd case ,and put your cpu's in the case it will fit three cpu's per row with three rows.=9 total cpu's stored.

however i am looking for a more permanent solotion.

i have used the foam in box technique but i find that my boxes tend to get crushed causing pin damage to my cpu.

basicaly was thinking of a couple boxes perfect sized for a few cpu's that would fit into a laptop bag.or even a larger rack.

·
Banned
5,028 Posts
try looking for a plastic container. put CPUs in foam like in the pic, and put in the box.
its probably the safest bet. note my precious phII X2 550BE there too

all of my 754, 939, and AM3 CPUs are safe right in the plastic container!
but do you want to travel with them?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
hm... the one advantage of intels... no pins... lol... but yes the good old foam is probably the way 2 go

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgoes2001 View Post
hm... the one advantage of intels... no pins... lol... but yes the good old foam is probably the way 2 go
well the older intel chips im trying to store have pins,intel didnt go pinles cpu till the i7 series came out. and i have an update to add .

this cd case method works for ram as well as long as the heat spreader is thin ,ie:crucial balistix tracer ram will work but corsair Dominator series may not fit.

my whole reason for this is that i have alot of older pentium 4 and older amd chips as well as harddrives /ram/usb devices/and other parts that i use to build budget pc's for kids and family members who only need a web surfing pc.

believe it or not i still use a p4 computer for my basic web surfing and downloading,as if i get a virus on the old p4 its not big deal nothing too important lost.

older technology still has a place in the world,just not a very important place :])

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by detta View Post
well the older intel chips im trying to store have pins,intel didnt go pinles cpu till the i7 series came out. and i have an update to add .

this cd case method works for ram as well as long as the heat spreader is thin ,ie:crucial balistix tracer ram will work but corsair Dominator series may not fit.

my whole reason for this is that i have alot of older pentium 4 and older amd chips as well as harddrives /ram/usb devices/and other parts that i use to build budget pc's for kids and family members who only need a web surfing pc.

believe it or not i still use a p4 computer for my basic web surfing and downloading,as if i get a virus on the old p4 its not big deal nothing too important lost.

older technology still has a place in the world,just not a very important place :])
the entire core 2 rang and later 775 socket p4s were all pinless....

and yup the on p4 are still good machines

i work in a small computer shop.. and we see them all the time...

people ask... "should i get a new PC"

and i ask do they play games, encode videos or anything like that....

and if they say no... i say it isn't worth it...

·
Chainsaw noise far off
6,010 Posts
Surely you can find something around the house to store them in so they don't get damaged.Use foam for the pins and the pinless just put in an anti static bag and put them in an old box.Don't spend money to storage an old cpu.

·
Baller on a Budget
1,304 Posts
I used Altoids tins to ship some old P4s, just the right size and are crush-proof (assuming you don't plan on running over your stuff with a SUV). Put foam on the inside to keep them from sliding around.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enfluenza
View Post

try looking for a plastic container. put CPUs in foam like in the pic, and put in the box.
its probably the safest bet. note my precious phII X2 550BE there too

all of my 754, 939, and AM3 CPUs are safe right in the plastic container!
but do you want to travel with them?

sounds great,maybe have a try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts