Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the cpu fan like some people told me with a heat sink.
offcourse i took out the power first and then changed it.
when i reboot i get error saying:
CPU changed or unusable - please check CPU Soft menu.
F1 to continue Del to setup.

so if i do DEL to setup and then exit with no changes it boots and shuts itself down after 2 seconds.
if i press F1 so it loads windows just fine.
so what is the problem here exactly?

Also im using nortwood p4 3.0ghz and my idle temp islike 41 C, but im using a good fan with arctic silver i dont think this should be like this.

i hope i didnt apply the as 5 wrong. what i did was just put it on the cpu chip and smear it all over it with a glove. but i mean it wasnt all the same size but it was covered for sure.... but now i had to take it apart to put the heat sensor in and it didnt look so good i could see some bare spots or maybe just a very very thin layer of as 5..
so the idle temps too high i dont know what i can do im giving up hope.. you guys can help?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwn
I just installed the cpu fan like some people told me with a heat sink.
offcourse i took out the power first and then changed it.
when i reboot i get error saying:
CPU changed or unusable - please check CPU Soft menu.
F1 to continue Del to setup.

so if i do DEL to setup and then exit with no changes it boots and shuts itself down after 2 seconds.
if i press F1 so it loads windows just fine.
so what is the problem here exactly?

Also im using nortwood p4 3.0ghz and my idle temp islike 41 C, but im using a good fan with arctic silver i dont think this should be like this.

i hope i didnt apply the as 5 wrong. what i did was just put it on the cpu chip and smear it all over it with a glove. but i mean it wasnt all the same size but it was covered for sure.... but now i had to take it apart to put the heat sensor in and it didnt look so good i could see some bare spots or maybe just a very very thin layer of as 5..
so the idle temps too high i dont know what i can do im giving up hope.. you guys can help?
Just go into the CPU section of the BIOS and change the CPU from auto to the other setting which will be the auto found setting, that will get rid of the message.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so basically go into the bios. make sure its on auto. and then save? right?
now what about getting the temps down on what i said about the as5?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwn
so basically go into the bios. make sure its on auto. and then save? right?
now what about getting the temps down on what i said about the as5?
No, make sure ti is no longer on auto, then save and exit.

As for heat, the AS5 may not be even or may have bubbles from the application, remove the HS, place a small dot of AS5 on the already applied area, then press the HS down, the new application will be pressed even and will fill in the holes and even out the previous application.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry didnt really get that about the bios settings.
i have p4 3.0 ghz northwood 800fsb.
and when i turn on the pc it gives you the error i described above
now what should i do in the menu?
and what is the right settings for my cpu?
because right now i think its 3000 ghz (200)
which i dont know what 200 means cause i have 800 fsb.

also in a box under it it says:
Estimated speed: 3060 ghz... so i dont know..
i can get you more details from the bios if you need it..
i just dont want to mess with settings i dont know.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
has your board got a cmos jumper if it has change the jumper over for five seconds then change it back then start your pc again this may cure it

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity
enter BIOS. save and exit. message gone.
Actually removing the jumper and just saving bios don't work I tried when I built mine.

Just copy the exact settins that are currently in the CPU categories, change it from auto to manual, the settings should not change if they do just put the ones that you wrote down. Then save and exit.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot
No, make sure ti is no longer on auto, then save and exit.

As for heat, the AS5 may not be even or may have bubbles from the application, remove the HS, place a small dot of AS5 on the already applied area, then press the HS down, the new application will be pressed even and will fill in the holes and even out the previous application.
you got it dead on. no need to reset cmos or anything..
just change settings from auto 3000 (200) to user defined. which pretty much kept the same settings. saved and exit. works fine.
thx for everyone time and help.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwn
you got it dead on. no need to reset cmos or anything..
just change settings from auto 3000 (200) to user defined. which pretty much kept the same settings. saved and exit. works fine.
thx for everyone time and help.
I told you, every comp I have built in the last 2 years had that were the jumper and just saving would not change, the only change is when you make it manual.

Let us know if you have any other problems.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Any change you change a CPU, sometimes when changing cooling, and sometimes when changing other components, BIOS will generate the "CPU has been changed or is unworkable" message, to force you to acknowledge that a change has been made. On all the systems I've built, all original BIOS settings have been retained when this occurs (i.e. not reset), and merely saving and exiting resolves the issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts