Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want my new system to be extremely quiet. Acoustic foam, rubber grommets and washers everywhere, all that kind of thing. My ultimate goal is a system that's stable, healthy and as quiet as possible running at stock settings. To that end, I want to go with aftermarket CPU and VGA coolers so I can get decent temps with larger, lower rpm/cfm fans.

I was looking at the Xiggy Dark Knight for cooling the AMD PhII X3 720. My main concern is the slew of comments to the effect of "This thing is huge, had trouble fitting..." I plan to go with the Antec 300 midtower case, which isn't the biggest thing on the market. It's ~205mm wide, and the Xig is 159mm tall according to the mfg. So my first question is, is there space enough in that case to handle that heatsink? I don't know if the motherboard, CPU and motherboard tray take up that 45mm or not.

Honestly, I don't even mind stock cooling if it performs well enough, but in the past the fans have been squealing little hunks of trash. Is the stock heatsink/fan for that CPU good enough while remaining quiet?

My last question is, which model of 120mm fan can I use for the whole system? I'll be using them for the intake/exhaust case fans and the cpu cooler, unless the fan that comes with the Xig is quiet enough for me. Those San Aces look nice but price is a factor - I'd rather not drop an entire C-note on my fans alone. I'm sure I'll be getting a fan controller so I can get everything exactly where I want it, noise-wise, without compromising system integrity.

Again, my primary goals for this system are:
1) As quiet as possible all the time
2) Stable operation during extended gaming sessions without overclocking.
3) Preferably nothing running hot enough to potentially cause long-term damage.

I'd like to overclock, but I'm not a bleeding-edge power gamer and would be very happy with stock performance if the noise levels are low. (Also, buzzing or whining is a deal-breaker, I don't care how quiet it is. It will drive me insane.)

Any suggestions for heatsink alternatives and noise-reduction techniques are more than welcome. ^_^

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
WoW... It might be easier to put your cpu in another room...but I like the challenge. This ofcouse will require research... To Be Continued...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have an antec 900 and the case is 20cm wide and the Xigmatek 1283 fits fine.

The 1283 is cheaper and performs about the same as the Dark Knight, though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233003

With a 1283/Dark Knight you'd probably be able to overclock a 720BE to 3.6-3.8ghz.

The fans they come with are fairly quiet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hehe, I want as quiet as possible while air cooling. I don't have any ridiculous expectations, I just want to do everything I can.

And thanks for the tips, test tube. I figure once I get everything put together, I'll see what kind of temps I have and see how much room I have to overclock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like to cut costs where I can, and since I'm not planning a large overclock, it really seems like overkill to go with water. Thanks for the link though.

Besides, my current system is 8 (EIGHT, not a typo!) years old, so I'm pretty certain I'll be blown away simply by a current level of technology. ^_^

·
Registered
870 Posts
The Dark Knight will be pointless for you seeing as it has the bolt through kit for intel socket 775. AMD already has the plastic bracket dealy that you can clamp the lever arm thing to.

The existing lever arm thing that comes with the vanilla 1283 will work, and save you money on a bolt through kit you don't need. Just get the vanilla 1283. There's really no need for the dark knight version unless you're fixed on getting a black heatsink.

• Rep+
Reactions: Foomy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Big thanks to Moppet and Weed for addressing my main concern and saving me money in the process. As for fans, maybe I'll see what the included fans are like before I start changing them out.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
I had the OCZ Vendetta 2 and the Noctua and both fit fine in my Antec 300.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If your on a budget don't get Noctua's. They are 20-25USD a piece. Get Yates med speed or low speed. Barely audible, solid construction, last long, and they are 5USD a piece. http://www.petrastechshop.com/120x25mmfans.html Do get it from petras. There seems to be some type of issue with fakes on other sites. Jab-tech is good though since they explained the situation and will replace bad fans. I do not know about other sites though.

The fans that come with the Antec cases are usually Tri-cools with LED lights. You can hear them, but you should try them yourself before ordering new fans.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts