Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now and then i am hearing stutters, i wonder if it's my cpu? Cuz i was trying cable management and i didn't wanna remove my heatsink cpu. So i managed to plug the 8 pin by it but took me an hour because my cooler cpu is in the way and i don't have a hole in the back of my case like you modders do. I managed to wiggle my hands through but i do feel like i have been moving the cpu cooler too much makes me think would it hurt the processor contact with the heatsink cooler that now i have touched the cooler? Does it lose the original contact it had. Do i need to re-apply? temps are usually lower but out of the game such as modern warfare i'm having like 40c temps and i don't like it. I'm just picky. I think maybe i did something wrong? Advice?

·
Premium Member
9,987 Posts
You could alway reapply the TIM if you feel it's cooling has been jepardized or you could alway try wiggling or twisting it a little if possible to regain your max cooling contact. That is of course if you can even move or twist the HSF.

Good Luck,

N2G

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using artic silver 5 and a Thermaltake Spin Q. I'm not a newb at this. It's just that i rearranged my cable to a better airflow performance because i'm sick of having my sleeved cables in the way of the air to flow over my hardware. I always have mild heater on due to the cold weather and i have been struggling to reach the 4 pin to plug it and my hands don't reach all the area cuz of my cpu cooler. I know it was wiggled a little and i just wondered if you moved your cpu cooler. Does it lose it's original contact to the cpu? Cuz i know it's not suppose to be touched. That's why i asked. I always apply a grain sized and spread it with plastic around my finger VERY flat and thin.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i felt it moved a bit when i tried to reach the 4 pin by the cpu cooler lol. It does look stable by temps but I KNOW it needs to be reseated again because i have been hearing stutters every once awhile when i play modern warfare 2 and THIS never happened when before I decided to switch my psu and cables around closer to the other side to provide better cable management so it IS the cpu cooler then. GRR i hate doing this again. Thanks for the advice, I'll reseat it again today. I need to order a Scythe cpu stabilzer because i am NO huge fan of push pins!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have another set of those brackets, i wonder if i should go ahead and rip the push pins and use my screws and washers? would that work? I don't wanna strip my cpu holes lol. I'll have to do research.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea i know i should do that but i don't got the tools for that unless i stab a knife in there LOL. I do have plans to probably buy a 1200 case but i have no idea if the 902 has the hole above the motherboard. I checked temps and it seems fine. I wonder if this stutter has anything to do with the fact i removed my video card and reseated it again? Driver issue? Can't be. Can internet cause that stutter sound too? The 4 pin is close to the video card, maybe it's not seated all the way? I have a problem making it stay down, i can make it stay down, it's just the pci bracket on the end that holds the card firm i broke it the first day i got my P5N-D long long time ago and i had no way of fixing it so i'm using the way the card bracket is but without the latch that holds it. Maybe i should superglue it, i already tried that and it won't stay on LOL. But anyways.. the stutter thing? I don't think i need to reseat my cpu but i would love to screw my cpu in but i'm just concerned i'll charge my motherboard with the screws but i do have washers. They're red.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckmcnugget
View Post

If it moved, I would turn the system off and reseat it, if it is not seated properly it can cause damage to your processor.

So you're saying if i did touched my cpu cooler and felt a wiggle so it's legitmate answer that it has been moved and needs to BE reseated again and applied again? Is that the logic to the answer of the stutters i had last night?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok thanks. Looks like i'm gonna go ahead and reseat it. This sucks. I don't see why temps aren't so bad.. I'm just lazy to put it back in man that's why lol. The damn cooler cpu always cut me everytime cuz of the fins LOL. Thanks for all your help anyhow. I still don't know why i had stutters, this never happened to me before i changed my cable routes. Kinda bizzare and i keep thinking it's my processor but anyhow i am getting a new processor for my birthday. Thanks again for your advice. Has anyone got an idea about the screws? Or should i not try to do that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts