Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently upgraded my case to a Thermaltake Versa H34 from a cheap Diablotek. The Thermaltake website says max clearance is 155mm for a CPU cooler. I have a FX 8350 with the stock cooler and will be looking to OC it once the cooler is upgraded, I'd like to stay with air cooling... any recommendations?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the recommendation, I rand across that cooler during a quick google search but had never heard of Thermalright before. As for budget, I'd like to stay under $50. What kind of temps do you get with the Macho?

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftness90 View Post

Thanks for the recommendation, I rand across that cooler during a quick google search but had never heard of Thermalright before. As for budget, I'd like to stay under $50. What kind of temps do you get with the Macho?
I actually don't have one myself.
tongue.gif
I just use Thermalright's fans and read reviews on their coolers, and I put a Macho in a build for a family member (but didn't use it enough to judge it fairly).

Thermalright is a big brand in Europe, you just don't hear about them much in the States because Newegg doesn't carry the brand. The Macho is a noise-optimized cooler, with long, widely spaced fins, a lot of heat pipes, and a pretty quiet fan... If you're going for the lowest noise + the lowest temps possible, it's the best cooler under $50 AFAIK.

Their 120mm fans are great too. Not top tier like Noctua, Be Quiet! or Phanteks (or Thermalright's excellent 140mm fans), but still better than fans you'll find on most other 120mm coolers

Some other coolers (not sure which ones are under 155mm, I'd have to look) have denser fin arrays, so they might be 1-2C cooler at the cost of more noise.

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
Thermalright Macho is 162mm in height, that is not going to fit.
155mm is terrible, as most heatsinks sit around 160mm. For the cost, that is bad as it limits you completely to majority of coolers.
My NZXT S340 case is same price yet can fit 162mm heatsinks.

You might have to go with C-Type coolers, like the Cryorig C1

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33d Junki3 View Post

Thermalright Macho is 162mm in height, that is not going to fit.
155mm is terrible, as most heatsinks sit around 160mm. For the cost, that is bad as it limits you completely to majority of coolers.
My NZXT S340 case is same price yet can fit 162mm heatsinks.

You might have to go with C-Type coolers, like the Cryorig C1
You might be thinking of the 140mm version.

Amazon says the 120mm Macho is 150.15mm high. And it's pretty big as far as CPU coolers go, so I'm sure other tower coolers would fit.

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would a downdraft cooler work well in a case without a side panel fan? I quite like the look of them, Scythe seems to make a few of them, as well as Thermal right.

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
Quote:

Would a downdraft cooler work well in a case without a side panel fan? I quite like the look of them, Scythe seems to make a few of them, as well as Thermal right.
tower coolers are best because they keep air moving in the case as well as cool your cpu.

·
Premium Member
27,528 Posts
@ brucethemoose
* HR-02, Macho rev. A and Macho rev. B are all 6 pipe coolers with 140mm fan .. or with exhaust duct instead of fan on Macho Zero.
* Macho 120 is a 5x pipe cooler with 120mm fan
* Macho 90 (just released is 90mm fan

@ Sp33d Junki3
You made no mistake. The Macho is 162mm tall.

·
Premium Member
27,528 Posts
Quote:

Down flow / pancake coolers work if you can keep a good supply of cool air going them .. which is much harder to do than tower coolers. Keep in mind every degree warmer the air going into cooler means a degree hotter the CPU will be, so keeping the air supply to coolers as cool as possible is important.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts