Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Been lurking into this forum for some time when it comes to air cooling to get a good understanding of air cooling. Granted, I have not got a system yet but planning to do so in the coming months. :)

What I'm planning to get are the following:
  • CPU: AMD 3700x (or maybe to a 5800x depending on reviews on Nov 5th)
  • MB: MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi
  • RAM: G.Skill Flare X 2x16GB (roughly 42mm in height)
  • Case: Phanteks P500A
    • 120mm fan support: 3 front, 3 top, 1 back
    • 140mm fan support: 3 front, 2 top, 1 back
  • Graphics Card: I have placed the MSI Gaming X 5700XT for now, but waiting for RDNA2 to make a firm decision.
After some readings here in OCN and outside, I have narrowed down some air coolers for my build. Since I'm purchasing them from Australia, I place the region pricing too (in AUD):
  • Noctua D15 (D15) - 157.00
  • Scythe Fuma 2 (FM2) - 112.45
  • Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT (LGMRT) - 123.13
Based on the pricing and readings here, the LGMRT is highly favourable than the rest, so I'll be planning to get this. AIO is out of the question due to its potential to leak (if water cooling is any considerations, it would be an all-out custom loop - but that will be in the future! :p)

I'm also planning to use 3 140mm be quiet! Silent Wings 3 (rated at 77.57CFM) at the front of the case to promote cool air (thanks to @doyll for his Ways to Better Cooling page (y)). With this, I don't plan to use any exhaust at the back and opening up the PCIe slots to promote a path for the air to travel outside to.

Now, I don't have a system yet and this is all hypothetical (based on readings here and there; sorry about that!) I'm just looking for advice for those who have experience with the P500A.
  1. Does my cooling setup seems on the right path?
  2. If the LGMRT becomes unavailable (currently purchasable only via Amazon), would the FM2 be the likely substitute (also purchasable only via Amazon)?
Thanks in advance, people!

·
Senior OCN Member
39,585 Posts
There is an S version of the NH-D15 which is slightly cheaper and comes with one fan instead of two which makes very little difference anyway
Its also asymmetrical and offset to one side so there is more cleanance over the top PCI-E slot

• Rep+
Reactions: jusuchin85

·
Premium Member
27,016 Posts
What shilka said. (y)

Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power is as good as coolers you lists and is normally lower priced. Might be worth looking at.

• Rep+

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'd go d15 personally. I've had nothing but great luck with it over the past 10 years. My father is rocking my original one from 2011 in his core 2 unit still.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,585 Posts
I'd go d15 personally. I've had nothing but great luck with it over the past 10 years. My father is rocking my original one from 2011 in his core 2 unit still.
The NH-D15 came out in 2014 so he cant have an NH-D15 if he has a Noctua dual tower its the older NH-D14

·
Senior OCN Member
39,585 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
39,585 Posts
My point still stands though. D15 over all of them. Still uses the same fans and same mounting bracket and damn near same design. Thing will outlast the rest.
They changed the fans they dont use the same fans cant recall what the NH-D14 middle fan was might have been the NF-P14 and the NH-D15 uses NF-A15 fans which are bigger
The mounting bracket was the only thing they keept

Edit: the NH-D14 uses an NF-P12 fan and an NF-P14 fan where the NH-D15 uses two NF-F15 fans so its one 120mm fan and one 140mm fan vs two 150mm fans

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,146 Posts
Hi everyone!

Been lurking into this forum for some time when it comes to air cooling to get a good understanding of air cooling. Granted, I have not got a system yet but planning to do so in the coming months. :)

What I'm planning to get are the following:
  • CPU: AMD 3700x (or maybe to a 5800x depending on reviews on Nov 5th)
  • MB: MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi
LGMRT or the NH-D15S would serve you very well.

On another note, you might want to think about going to the MSI X570 MAG Tomahawk. When the supply chains aren't broken, it's only about $20 more than the B550 board you are looking at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is an S version of the NH-D15 which is slightly cheaper and comes with one fan instead of two which makes very little difference anyway
Its also asymmetrical and offset to one side so there is more cleanance over the top PCI-E slot
Thanks, @shilka . I didn't consider looking at the D15S since I thought that the no fan in front of the cooler would be a detrimental effect for cooling. After looking at a few reviews, the performance impact is similar to the D15 despite being a single fan in the middle of the two heatsinks. Maybe it's due to the high CFM on the A15 that pulls more heat away from the front heatsink and dissipates to the back? Not an expert in thermodynamics 😅 But I guess that by placing 3 SW3 fans at the front to provide fresh air to the cooler, it may help with the cooling nature?

I'll do more research on this cooler, thanks! The one thing that pique me as well with this cooler is the compatibility on the PCIE slot, which should pose no issues (from initial readings).

What shilka said. (y)

Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power is as good as coolers you lists and is normally lower priced. Might be worth looking at.
Thanks for the TRUE Spirit 140 Power recommendation, @doyll . Looks like it's AUD 179 from where I can find yikes! Found one for AUD114.03 from Playthek, but will look at this option too.

On another note, you might want to think about going to the MSI X570 MAG Tomahawk. When the supply chains aren't broken, it's only about $20 more than the B550 board you are looking at.
Thanks, @ciarlatano . I did consider the X570 Tomahawk initially, but wondering whether I'll be using any PCIE 4.0 M2 drives. Since there was no significant benefit to the PCIE 4.0 drives, my plan is to use the ADATA XPG8200 NVME drive, and since I may not purchase a PCIE 4.0 drive anytime soon, my thoughts were that I was paying more for something that I won't use.

In terms of pricing, about AUD 100 extra:
Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way though. 😅 Would you still recommend the X570 Tomahawk nevertheless? I don't mind paying extra for that piece of mind setup.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,585 Posts
From my experience the normal D15 comes very close to the GPU even on mainstream sockets and in some cases might even touch against the GPU

I personally dont like that there is so little space so i would have bought an NH-D15S for the PC i have now but the case wont allow that since there is not enough room above the motherboard not if you want to have fans up there at least so its either fans and a small cooler like the U12S or a big cooler like the D15(S) and no fans

Instead i bought an NH-U12S which is fine but not great
I ordered a Fractal Design Define 7 XL last week to replace the Phanteks 719 that i have now which is the dumbest case i have ever owned

When i replace the motherboard CPU and RAM next year i will be buying my second NH-D15S for that
Already have a D15S in my second system which is in a case that has actual room for stuff you know like a case supposed to have

• Rep+

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there is not enough room above the motherboard not if you want to have fans up there at least so its either fans and a small cooler like the U12S or a big cooler like the D15(S) and no fans
Yea thought of this too. I think the general research I've done shows that you only need front fans to supply cool air to the cooler and let that flow towards the back. So, I don't think I'll be using any fans at the top. Was even contemplating on an exhaust fan, but most recommendations here would be to let air naturally flow to the back of the case rather than forcing an exhaust out.

I ordered a Fractal Design Define 7 XL last week to replace the Phanteks 719 that I have now which is the dumbest case I have ever owned
Wow, that looks like a nice case - huge and whole lot of space! It sure looks a whole lot better than the 719. Can't wait to see your build in it. Good luck, @shilka :love:

·
Senior OCN Member
39,585 Posts
Yea thought of this too. I think the general research I've done shows that you only need front fans to supply cool air to the cooler and let that flow towards the back. So, I don't think I'll be using any fans at the top. Was even contemplating on an exhaust fan, but most recommendations here would be to let air naturally flow to the back of the case rather than forcing an exhaust out.

Wow, that looks like a nice case - huge and whole lot of space! It sure looks a whole lot better than the 719. Can't wait to see your build in it. Good luck, @shilka :love:
I have a build thread if you want to see how it ends up Project Zabanya
Dont know if you already have the P500A or want to buy it but maybe consider the smaller Define 7 or maybe the even smaller Define 7 Compact if you are looking to get a case

I have not been impressed by Phanteks and the 719 its the second worst case i have ever bought and the dumbest case i have owned its huge but there is no space for anything anywhere so all that space cant be used

There is no room above the motherboard no room for the PSU and all the other cables anywhere and there is only room for up to 12 HDD´s when there is room for up 20 HDD´s in the Define 7 XL so 8 more and the two cases are almost the same size the 719 is about 1 cm higher but 1 cm shorter than the Define 7 XL

This is my last build thead and feel free to check out the massive train wreck it has been Project Dreissen

·
Fix it till its broke
729 Posts
There is always a few concessions to be made when running the biggest of air coolers. Some coolers block ram, pcie slots, motherboard power, fan headers, or a combination of them all. Of course not many people talk about it. I am running my Le Grand Macho RT right now, and it can be a pain. It does block CPU power up top, and some fan headers. My old D14 blocked a bunch of ram on my X58, and maybe the CPU power.. its been awhile. My True Spirit 140 Power is so nice to use in comparison, so easy to mount but still interferes with a dimm when using a TY-143 on X58 and Z77.

·
Premium Member
27,016 Posts
o1dschoo1

To be fair, there is little difference between new coolers and NH-D14 & Silver Arrow that came out 10 years ago .. which started life in 2008 as IFX-14.

Thermalright's first tower heatpipe cooler is HR-01 (6x 6mm heatpipes 110x60x159.5mm LxWxH w/o fan) was first released in about 2005. I think it was their first tower with heatpipes HR series evolved into current Macho coolers.

Others are Ultima 90 (6x 6mm heatpipes 115x55x139mm LxWxH w/o fan 2007 ca) and Ultra 120 (2006 ca),

First capillary action heatpipe was in 1942, so they have been around for long time.

Le Grand Macho RT is same basic cooler as original HR-22 released 2013 (w/ one less heatpipe), and included fan i improved version of original TY-140.

jusuchin85
Pricing varies a lot from place to place.
In USA​
TRUE Spirit 140 Power is $54.99​
Le Grand Macho RT is $79.99​
NH-D15 is $89.95​
NH-D15S is $79.90​
Fuma 2 is $59.99​

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the late reply, guys - work caught up with me!

I have a build thread if you want to see how it ends up Project Zabanya
Dont know if you already have the P500A or want to buy it but maybe consider the smaller Define 7 or maybe the even smaller Define 7 Compact if you are looking to get a case

I have not been impressed by Phanteks and the 719 its the second worst case i have ever bought and the dumbest case i have owned its huge but there is no space for anything anywhere so all that space cant be used

There is no room above the motherboard no room for the PSU and all the other cables anywhere and there is only room for up to 12 HDD´s when there is room for up 20 HDD´s in the Define 7 XL so 8 more and the two cases are almost the same size the 719 is about 1 cm higher but 1 cm shorter than the Define 7 XL

This is my last build thead and feel free to check out the massive train wreck it has been Project Dreissen
Thanks for the link @shilka ! I'll be sure to check it out and read it. :)

I'm actually aiming for a case that provides a front mesh for airflow to the internals. But thanks for the recommendations. (y)

There is always a few concessions to be made when running the biggest of air coolers. Some coolers block ram, pcie slots, motherboard power, fan headers, or a combination of them all. Of course not many people talk about it. I am running my Le Grand Macho RT right now, and it can be a pain. It does block CPU power up top, and some fan headers. My old D14 blocked a bunch of ram on my X58, and maybe the CPU power.. its been awhile. My True Spirit 140 Power is so nice to use in comparison, so easy to mount but still interferes with a dimm when using a TY-143 on X58 and Z77.
Thanks, @Owterspace ! Yea, I've been making sure that the cooler does not block the RAM slots, PCIE slots, and would fit the case. Never thought of the power connector or fan header, but something I'll keep an eye out for.

jusuchin85
Pricing varies a lot from place to place.
In USA​
TRUE Spirit 140 Power is $54.99​
Le Grand Macho RT is $79.99​
NH-D15 is $89.95​
NH-D15S is $79.90​
Fuma 2 is $59.99​
Thanks for the pricing @doyll . I found one on Amazon for AUD 92.43, and place it into my watchlist! Wonder why there's not much reviews on Thermalright coolers for comparisons (apart from posts in OCN).

Any thoughts on the Noiseblocker NB-eLoop Fan B14-PS, doyll? I just saw a review on these fans when this appear in my Youtube suggestions, and it was well received:

·
Senior OCN Member
39,585 Posts
If you want mesh Fractal has that with the Meshify C

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,146 Posts
Any thoughts on the Noiseblocker NB-eLoop Fan B14-PS, doyll? I just saw a review on these fans when this appear in my Youtube suggestions, and it was well received:
The eLoops are interesting fans. I've used a number of them, and in the right application they are fantastic - great performance, especially at low rpm, and really smooth sound signature. The one caveat being that they can get unpleasant sounding if there is restriction on their intake side, but that is far more of an issue on the 120mm than the 140mm. The question is, where are you intending on using them in this build?

BTW - the Arctic Kool Aid crew is going to be seriously butthurt about the B14 and NF-A14 consistently outperforming the P14 while running at speeds ~40% lower than the P14.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you want mesh Fractal has that with the Meshify C
I had a look at your Driessen build and (don't mean to be rude), but the pain points you had with your case was the fan mounting at the top clashes with the EPS pin on the motherboard. I didn't think of using any fan at the top, so I don't think I'll face the same issue. But other than that, most of the issues you faced was issues with the motherboard and the HDD, not with the case itself.

Again, sorry to be rude or inconsiderate, but are these the only reasons to avoid Phanteks at all? I have watched reviews on the Meshify cases and reviewers (GN, HC, Kitguru), although were impressed by them, recommend either the P500A or Lancool II Mesh. I was initially considering the Meshify cases, but when both the P500A and Lancool II Mesh came out, I changed my mind. Combining the readings I've read between here and other reviews, it seems that the P500A would be my go-to case.

Unless I'm missing something? :)

The eLoops are interesting fans. I've used a number of them, and in the right application they are fantastic - great performance, especially at low rpm, and really smooth sound signature. The one caveat being that they can get unpleasant sounding if there is restriction on their intake side, but that is far more of an issue on the 120mm than the 140mm. The question is, where are you intending on using them in this build?

BTW - the Arctic Kool Aid crew is going to be seriously butthurt about the B14 and NF-A14 consistently outperforming the P14 while running at speeds ~40% lower than the P14.
Thanks for the thoughts @ciarlatano . I was contemplating between the eLoops and SW3 as intake fans. I'm thinking of using just 3 140mm fans at the front of the case. With the eLoops, it seems to be providing more air to the insides of the case (with higher CFMs).

Haha, in regards to the P14s, that was in my initial build list, until I stumbled here and read that there are other fans out there which perform better than them. Granted, they are cheap if buying in bulk, but I'm looking for good fans that provide better cooling for the long term.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts