Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all

Just delidded my 4790K and during the cleanup I noticed a couple of the capacitors were bent, not fully detatched but bent and hanging on by a thread it seems. Its the capacitors to the right of the cpu.

I put the cpu back together and its working now in windows. Im worries about what those capacitors are, and by bending them almost detatching has that caused damage?

Thanks

·
Senior Overclocker
4,998 Posts
You should be just fine. Just apply some nail polish or glue over them to keep them well in place.
I have done some digging online and have seem some guys who have delidded this chip and managed to shred off some of these caps and the chips still ran just fine. Apparently they are just some decoupling capacitors that are not vital to the chip and will run just fine without them. Since yours isn't even broken off, I wouldn't sweat it.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be just fine. Just apply some nail polish or glue over them to keep them well in place.
I have done some digging online and have seem some guys who have delidded this chip and managed to shred off some of these caps and the chips still ran just fine. Apparently they are just some decoupling capacitors that are not vital to the chip and will run just fine without them. Since yours isn't even broken off, I wouldn't sweat it.

Cheers!
Thanks, I saw some threads online. I might take it apart tomorrow and put some thermal tape carefully over them to keep them in place. Im just concerned as to what the effect could be of damaging them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts