Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new case has a CPU duct on the side panel but it does not line up with my Nforce2 CPU socket. I can mod it to work but would I be better off just to put a decent 80mm fan as in intake (where the built in CPU duct was)? I have a 80mm blowhole and a 120mm intake and a 120mm exhaust. Also my power supply has a 120mm fan exhausting.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Well you could just install some dryer hose in between the inlet and the CPU. It would serve the same purpose. Just make sure you if you do this, to make a hole in the bottom so that heat can escape after it's done it's job.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwiztidPOPS

My new case has a CPU duct on the side panel but it does not line up with my Nforce2 CPU socket. I can mod it to work but would I be better off just to put a decent 80mm fan as in intake (where the built in CPU duct was)? I have a 80mm blowhole and a 120mm intake and a 120mm exhaust. Also my power supply has a 120mm fan exhausting.

Hi TwiztidPOPS,

I had the same problem with one of my cases for my daughter. I left the duct off and let the 80mm fan just blow into the case. You might want to think about placing a filter over it and the other intake fans, if you haven't already done so.
Post back if you want to know where to buy filters or have other questions...

I hoped this helped, :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chim3ra

Well you could just install some dryer hose in between the inlet and the CPU. It would serve the same purpose. Just make sure you if you do this, to make a hole in the bottom so that heat can escape after it's done it's job.

You cut a hole in the bottom of the duct hose?

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why cut a hole in the duct hose....I thought the whole purpose of a duct was to provide 100% cool air from outside without any interuptions. Seems like a hole would cause an interuption of cool air to CPU.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
He means if the duct covers the CPU so the air has a place to go AFTER it cools the CPU, though I have never seen a duct like this, sounds like Chim3ra was talking about having the dryer hose go ALL THE WAY onto your CPU, but he seems to forget that you would still need a CPU heatsink so there is no way it would not have a place to go
I'd say 80mm intake is better anyways.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
If you had a big enough dryer hose it could get around it. But, the main thing is that you need to have a place for the area to escape or else you'll get heat build up which will cause temps to rise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.