Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where else to go with this, so I figured I'd go to the people who might have experienced their fair shares of CPU failure.

I built a computer for my family with a Q6600 and and an Arctic Cooling Freezer7 Pro, Asus P5N-E mobo. No OC'ing at all, obviously. I get a call the other day saying the computer won't stay on. They'd been moving it around to hook up the monitor, so I figured the CPU fan fell off. They brought it to me and sure enough, it was off. So I tossed er back on, problem solved. Or not. It runs for roughly 30 seconds then shuts off. I tried the stock cooler on it too and the same thing. The temps, monitored through SpeedFan, never went past 60C either. The thermal paste was cool once I took off the ACF7. However, if I lay it on its side, it'll run for much longer, but standing up it shuts off. I have no idea. I emailed Intel, and they want me to check the CPU in another board, but I don't want to take apart my computer.

What are the odds that this is a problem with the CPU? Anyone experienced this? I don't want to rip apart two computers, I'd rather just go with the RMA. Who thinks it's a CPU hardware issue?

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
If it runs on its side, but fails standing up, then something is probably loose. Make sure the CPU load plate is clamped down properly.

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
how did the cooler fall off? death by push pins?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Definitely try switching around parts, sorry this will be the simplest thing in the long run. First ur cpu in their machine. if still bad try ram and psu. if still bad strip down to just the mobo on a box, only 1 stick of (ur)ram, (ur) cpu, (ur) psu. if that fails it is the motherboard. otherwise add parts one by one till fail.

feeling, psu> cpu > mobo >ram in order of likely hood.

~serge

1 - 4 of 4 Posts