Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my cpu fan wasn't running on 100% anymore, normally it would run somewhere around 3000rpm's. It was running on 1000rpm's instead. So I thought my fan was either full with dust or broken so I switched it with another fan.

That fan didn't even want to work. So I tried to remove the fan, but then the 4th pin(CPU fan PWM) pin broke off, I don't know how this could happen but the pin is stuck in the fan now. I tried to get it out but it's still in there.

So I putted the fan back again with the 4th pin stuck in there and it seems to work again. The fan is running normal again, not sure if its running on 100% at 3000rpm's but it seems to.

Well the only problem is that I get an error when I boot-up my PC that there is a CPU fan error. But this shouldn't be a big problem right? I don't want to bring the motherboard back to the store because it will probably cost me money again which I don't have and don't to spend when it's not needed.

I'm planning to buy the Corsair H50 cooler:

Do you think it won't work when my 4th pin is broken?
I don't think the 4th pin is nescessary right? The fan is running on 100% now I think so. This should also work for the H50?

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
the H50 should work fine. the 4th pin is only used to control the fan so if it is broken, the fan will just get all 12v that are going through the yellow wire.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus
View Post

the H50 should work fine. the 4th pin is only used to control the fan so if it is broken, the fan will just get all 12v that are going through the yellow wire.

So there is actually no problem when at all?
Is there anyway how I can remove this CPU fan error when I boot-up my pc?

·
Banned
5,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus
View Post

The yellow wire is the RPM sensor on connectors like that, not power.

You won't have a single issue with the missing pin

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reberto
View Post

The yellow wire is the RPM sensor on connectors like that, not power.

You won't have a single issue with the missing pin

Except that the MB can no longer control the fan speed.

·
Banned
5,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume View Post
Except that the MB can no longer control the fan speed.
Except that it can, just now via PWM. How do you think fan speeds were controlled when plugged into the motherboard before the days of PWM?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Red is power isn't it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts