Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed my new PC build, however as soon as turn on the pc it come up with the following error:

CPU Fan Error! Press F1 to run setup.

In the bios its says theres something wrong with the some of the other fans.Picture shows.

I've checked the whole fans in the case, and they are all working fine. please note that the motherboard is Asus P8Z77 PRO, and the CPU is i7-3770k

The cooling system on the CPU is corsair H100.

http://screencast.com/t/YXbeZrfgqG44
Help Please.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Have you tried using a program like HWMonitor to check the RPM of the fans and your temps? it's probably just the fans spinning slower when your system starts than the minimum RPM warning threshold, there should be an option in your BIOS to lower the minimum or disable the warning completely if you've already checked temps and everything seems fine.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
you more than likely have pluged the fan into your motherboards second cpu fan plug or a normal fan plug not your cpu one.

check your manual for specs, you should plug the h100 into the first cpu fan plug

edit: I think it is the plug on the right on your mobo

·
Registered
579 Posts
Is the fan plugged into the Mobo or the PSU? On my Asus p6x58d-e I was getting that when my CPU fan was plugged into my fan controller alone and not the fan controller and Motherboard. you can change Bios to not report that if you dont wanna open her up, you can also have Bios skip the f1 on error command.

·
Premium Member
15,526 Posts
I agree with the others, try checking which fan port you have it plugged into. Also you can try going into bios and under Advanced Bios go to MONITOR section. Have a look in there and see if theres an option for CPU FAN ERROR or similar sounding (sorry ive not been in my bios for a while).

TRy turning these fan warnings off so that it continues regardless when booting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the quick answers. I copyed the format of my question off an earlier thread and didnt change it to say that its a hyper 212 evo. I can change the warning low speed limit but its worrying that they are all spinning too low or should I just turn it down.

Temps are around 28 degrees celcius just sitting in the bios for 15mins doing nothing.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by padday View Post

Thanks for all the quick answers. I copyed the format of my question off an earlier thread and didnt change it to say that its a hyper 212 evo. I can change the warning low speed limit but its worrying that they are all spinning too low or should I just turn it down.
Temps are around 28 degrees celcius just sitting in the bios for 15mins doing nothing.
where is the fan plugged into? thats fine for idle in bios

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I believe I got that error a while ago, and it was because I hadn't plugged in the CPU fan in the right place.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Disable Low Fan RPM threshold in BIOS.

Simple as that.

Your BIOS is configured to give an alarm at post if your CPU fan is under a certain threshold. That threshold might be 1000RPM or whatever, and your CPU fan starts up slower than that (perfectly normal, and common). It's designed to tell you when your CPU fan craps out on you, and if it makes you nervous to completely disable it, you can set it to something lower, like 200RPM or something.

·
Premium Member
15,526 Posts
Like others say, it depends where your fan is plugged into. From my experience plugging into CPU_FAN means the fan only spin up max when cpu is under load, putting fan into SYS_FAN makes the fan spin at full speed all the time. I think this is correct.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent View Post

Like others say, it depends where your fan is plugged into. From my experience plugging into CPU_FAN means the fan only spin up max when cpu is under load, putting fan into SYS_FAN makes the fan spin at full speed all the time. I think this is correct.
CPU_fan is connected to CPU (obviously), and can have a QFAN profile or set to constant 12v
PWR_fan is always 12v
SYS_fan is for chassis fans, and can have a QFAN profile or set to constant 12v

3 pin headers' RPM is monitored in BIOS and can be controlled via voltage control (if your board supports it)
4 pin headers' RPM is monitored in BIOS and can be controlled via PWM

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I turned down the low fan RPM to 300 and its all fixed. I'll run a stress test when I have Windows is installed to make sure its adjusting correctly with the temps of the CPU. Thanks everyone no other problems to report
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainesk View Post

Have you tried using a program like HWMonitor to check the RPM of the fans and your temps? it's probably just the fans spinning slower when your system starts than the minimum RPM warning threshold, there should be an option in your BIOS to lower the minimum or disable the warning completely if you've already checked temps and everything seems fine.
I had identical problem on startup of new machine. My CPU, cooler, and MB were setup for me and fan was plugged into correct slot. I reset all of the Cooling Fans in BIOS to 200RPM (lowest setting) and the problem went away!

THANKS SO MUCH Sainesk!!!
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.