Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got some corsair SP120 PWM fans and I cant regulate their speed from the CPU header on my EVGA z97 Stinger even in the BIOS. I can control them fine on other headers and have some scythe glidstream pwm fans that work with that same header just fine. It looks as though even though the SP120's are infact PWM They only respond to voltage control vs PWM signal. It would appear that my mobo's CPU header only supplies PWM signal and not voltage control as the other headers do. Can anyone verify the operation of the SP 120's ? Its also possible the PWM signal is broken on the mobo I suppose, is there a way to check proper functionality of a fan header with a volt meter?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
With the SP120, they are voltage controlled... 3 pin fans. They do make a PWM version... but it has to say it on the box and the fan needs to be the 4 pin variant. Just make sure you bought the correct version for PWM.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are for sure 4pin PWM, they're speed is able to be controlled from the other fan headers, just not the CPU. Since I can't seem to regulate these fans on the cpu header, I plugged the pump into that header and the PWR header for the rad fans and the CHA for the case fans. Using speed fan I am able to have the fans work properly according to work load. Not sure why I can't control the SP120's from the CPU header though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts