Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Many motherboards won't post if they detect a fan failure (though there is usually a warning message displayed). If you replaced the fan with a two wire fan if may not be detecting that the fan is running.

And ripping out the CPU is common. Next time get the Heatsink hot by stressing the computer a lot. Quickly shut down, disconnect the power cable, unlatch the HS and gently twist the HS back and forth until it comes loose.

• Rep+
Reactions: wallyworld96

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallyworld96
View Post

i redid all the wiring and checked to make sure everything external was plugged in, still not working. I removed the side panel to reseat the ram and gpu, plugged it in and the CPU fan was not running! I figured OK fan went bad and replaced it... still nothing. The GPU fan still runs and rig powers up normal no boot or beep or cpu fan. I tried using another fan port just to start the fan with no luck. I pulled the cpu heatsink and out came the CPU, stuck to the bottom of the heatsink, without releasing the lock bar (weird). It was completely loose no pulling needed. I built this computer also and know dang well that was all done correctly on build day. I figure the CPU has seen its last day, over heated, and popped itself free then short circuit. I welcome any other ideas before Im forced to replace both the processor and motherboard.

Wallyworld96, would you mind listing the hardware specifications for this computer?

Was the computer on or off when your wife decided to use it? I find very interesting that these problems just happen to occur after a recent virus removal. Very suspicious...

If this a S754/S939/AM2 system then I highly doubt the processor went bad due to heat. Have you tried testing with a different power supply? Is this computer on a surge/ups device?

Let us know

Good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
If a program like speedfan can access and control system fans, I don't see why a virus couldn't. Set it to 0 and watch your cpu burn. Dangerous thought there.. Glad we haven't seen any malicious code like this yet.. or I haven't in my shop.

What exactly was she doing when the computer died?

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
For one I would try clearing cmos if I were you.

Possible that the chip is dead so if you have another to test it with give it a try.

However I doubt it, these things can handle some serioouse temps for a short period of time. Done it to too many to think about and havnt killed one yet.

The reason it came out was because when at those temps that it probably got to the tim sometimes will setup allmost like a glue and be really tough to seperate the cpu and heatsinc.

I would reseat everything and do a cmos clear and try it again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin2k35
View Post

Sounds like the fan failed and you running the system without a fan has caused the CPU to melt.

He replaced the fan and the new one didn't spin up either. Seems to be a motherboard power issue then because without a cpu at all a plugged in fan will spin. Did you check all the power cables or try to swap a different psu in?

·
Banned
11,136 Posts
You know I have replaced fans with bad ones before...... it happens. I would also Clear the CMOS and check the bios and see if you have any fan control options open. I had a Computer at church that the 120 back fan went out and the Mobo would not post. The Secretary took off the side door and rebooted after a few minutes and it booted fine. Also Arctic Silver doesn't melt so you probably forgot it on build day.. that stuff happens too. BTW didn't you just build this rig for her?

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin2k35
View Post

Sounds like the fan failed and you running the system without a fan has caused the CPU to melt.

Shin2k35, perhaps maybe if this was an Athlon XP he might of damaged the die but for S754, S939 and AM2 this practically impossible. These processors are thermally controlled and will throttle down if any extreme temperatures are detected. I highly doubt any "melting" will occur. That actually sounds quite dangerous

I also believe the OP stated that he is unable to get the machine to boot which to me means no POST screen. If that is case then it sounds like the issue resides on the hardware level.

Wallyworld96, is there a POST screen coming up at all?

Good luck

·
Banned
331 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin2k35 View Post
agreed! and taking out heatsink with a cpu still attached to it... it happens...

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallyworld96
View Post

Windows was still running and computer was accessing internet when she came to use it, she says it crashed from desktop as she attempted to use it. This is all new news to me, now im looking at other possibilities. If only she would have told me this before I post this thread...

She reboot and came to a no signal monitor warning and called me up to check it out.
I checked all exterior wiring and all was fine, since this mobo was fashioned into a old custom E-machine box, the GPU screw down bracket is a bit homemade lol. I figured the GPU had wiggled loose and removed the case side. reseat the GPU and plugged in to notice CPU fan was not spinning (probably cause of no boot? CPU isn't telling fan to start i now assume)
I never tried resetting CMOS, this is what im suspecting now. I had just figured it was dead before i started checking after i seen the CPU fan not spinning and was already setting up to buy another. Thank you guys for your advice, you stirred up enough questions for me to ask the "right" questions from the wife. shes good at not giving details without the 20 questions game heh. Im gonna rep everyone who gave me a idea or asked a question leading me to what i now know. Ill keep you informed of further details.

Wallyworld96, I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to questioning the wife. She isn't exactly "detailed" as well but she also isn't technical like us nerds are

If you still can't get a POST screen then the problem is definitely hardware related. I'm thinking the freezing/crashed issues within Windows might of been caused by a failing hardware component (it's possible). For testing purposes have you tried swapping out any parts?

Let us know

Good luck

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
The CPU sticking is possible, OEMs use thermal pads. IT was a real problem on S478 Intels(I've actually had one do it to me, personally). Those pads are pretty bad, I hate them. :\\ Doesn't hurt the proc any, tho, if there's an IHS(Which there is, 3200+ is far too new to be naked die).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts