Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to build a new rig and I plan on going with two 980 ti's SLI'd and an Intel 750 NVMe SSD x4. I was originally thinking about buying a 4790k because it seemed a bit 'noob friendly' for OC'ing. After reading up about PCI lanes I realized that the 4790k won't work because it only has 16 lanes.

Can someone please recommend me a CPU?(and maybe a mobo?) From what I've read I shouldn't need a 40 lane CPU but I don't want to bottleneck anything...especially the NVMe. I haven't OC'd since my Q9550/EP45-UD3P years ago.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,911 Posts
Normally x8 PCI-E 3.0 works fine.
PCI-E 2.0 x16 still works well enough to play games flawlessly (with perhaps some hiccups during loading of scenes and textures). It's really noticeable on 32 bit x8 PCI-E 1.1. But, even at that majority of games are perfectly playable.

2011 boards typically have stronger power delivery, and additional MB PCI-E related connectors, and they can survive 2x very high end cards better than smaller factor boards. 4790k are somehow bad overclockers i5 versions are better for overclocking, but you will not get HT.

Well you should know that heat removal for two high end cards and overclocked CPU can be a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghar View Post

Normally x8 PCI-E 3.0 works fine.
PCI-E 2.0 x16 still works well enough to play games flawlessly (with perhaps some hiccups during loading of scenes and textures). It's really noticeable on 32 bit x8 PCI-E 1.1. But, even at that majority of games are perfectly playable.

2011 boards typically have stronger power delivery, and additional MB PCI-E related connectors, and they can survive 2x very high end cards better than smaller factor boards. 4790k are somehow bad overclockers i5 versions are better for overclocking, but you will not get HT.

Well you should know that heat removal for two high end cards and overclocked CPU can be a problem.
I actually just got back from MicroCenter and decided to go with a 5930k and picked up my 1.2 TB Intel 750 NVMe SSD. For the mobo, they didn't have much to choose from. I ended up going with an ASUS x99-Pro USB 3.1. I'll get a Corsair H100i or equivalent when I get closer to slapping it together. I'll definitely end up going with EVGA 980 ti Hybrids so I just need a case that can accommodate all the radiators. I'm leaning towards a reasonably priced case that has the mobo in a horizontal config so next thing I need to find out is if the Thermaltake Core X9 will fit my needs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
Reasonably priced? Why stop/slow down now? What case do you have in mind? Corsair 900D?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCmember View Post

Reasonably priced? Why stop/slow down now? What case do you have in mind? Corsair 900D?
This one
Thermaltake Core x9

I'm trying to save money where I can...lol. Still need to buy two EVGA 980 ti Hybrids, RAM, PSU and CPU cooler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjastryk View Post

This one
Thermaltake Core x9

I'm trying to save money where I can...lol. Still need to buy two EVGA 980 ti Hybrids, RAM, PSU and CPU cooler.
Looks like a neat little case. What kind of case do you have now? I ended up going with full size towers after I learned it's hard to work in small cases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't have one yet. I've always had my eye on cases that have the mobo horizontal. Once I install everything I'm hoping not to have to poke around in there again for some time...lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjastryk View Post

Didn't have one yet. I've always had my eye on cases that have the mobo horizontal. Once I install everything I'm hoping not to have to poke around in there again for some time...lol.
Well you know that saying, if it ain't broke, fix it until it is! lol I'm sure you'll be poking around in there every now and again.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top