Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rectangle Font Magenta Screenshot Pattern

In the BIOS of the P8Z68-V GEN3, I have the base clock multiplier set to 46. In Windows 10 I have the minimum processor state set to 100%.

The above is the result in HWiNFO64 after ~20 minutes while running Prime95 large FFT.

I've never observed this on other systems before. After running for 2-3 hours the average is about 4220 and the minimum 1600MHz. I think there are only 3 speeds it alternates between - 4600, 3300 (default base clock) and 1600 (minimum clock speed). I've never had this kind of problem on other motherboards before - what could be the cause?

Also possibly worthy of note - in Windows Task Manager, when the machine is idle and 4600MHz is reported in HWiNFO64, the CPU frequency seems to bounce between ~4.22 and 4.59GHz. Never below maybe 3.90GHz

Edit: to add, there are no power limit or temperature limits responsible

·
Twin Turbski
1,728 Posts
View attachment 2568620

In the BIOS of the P8Z68-V GEN3, I have the base clock multiplier set to 46. In Windows 10 I have the minimum processor state set to 100%.

The above is the result in HWiNFO64 after ~20 minutes while running Prime95 large FFT.

I've never observed this on other systems before. After running for 2-3 hours the average is about 4220 and the minimum 1600MHz. I think there are only 3 speeds it alternates between - 4600, 3300 (default base clock) and 1600 (minimum clock speed). I've never had this kind of problem on other motherboards before - what could be the cause?

Also possibly worthy of note - in Windows Task Manager, when the machine is idle and 4600MHz is reported in HWiNFO64, the CPU frequency seems to bounce between ~4.22 and 4.59GHz. Never below maybe 3.90GHz

Edit: to add, there are no power limit or temperature limits responsible
Do you have your multiplier set to static in the BIOS? If it's configured as dynamic (even if you set your multiplier to 46), there is a possibility it will drop at some point. 4600MHz, as you probably know, is the top boost clock for that chip so if it's not set to static the turbo may take over and lower your frequency in some instances.

• Helpful
Reactions: Avacado

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have your multiplier set to static in the BIOS? If it's configured as dynamic (even if you set your multiplier to 46), there is a possibility it will drop at some point. 4600MHz, as you probably know, is the top boost clock for that chip so if it's not set to static the turbo may take over and lower your frequency in some instances.
Below are screenshots of all the CPU related pages in the BIOS.
The first and second screenshots are where I can change the CPU ratio (I think it's the same field on two different pages).
The third page shows a field for Turbo, which matches whatever I put into the CPU ratio fields. I can't modify it directly - it's black. Anything fields that are black are skipped when navigating with the keyboard (same as titles like Turbo Mode Parameters).
You can see in the first image Turbo Mode is enabled - I can't change it either. If I disable EIST (above) it doesn't make Turbo Mode available to change

edit: The really odd thing, to me anyway, is that under load (and a pretty severe load at that), the CPU should not be throttling down to 3300MHz for 20-90 seconds at a time (on average, sometimes more, never less)

One page I forgot to take a picture of is the current limits. They're set to their maximums of 140%

Font Computer Technology Software Gadget

Font Technology Software Electronic device Multimedia
Font Gadget Technology Display device Electronic device

·
Twin Turbski
1,728 Posts
Below are screenshots of all the CPU related pages in the BIOS.
The first and second screenshots are where I can change the CPU ratio (I think it's the same field on two different pages).
The third page shows a field for Turbo, which matches whatever I put into the CPU ratio fields. I can't modify it directly - it's black. Anything fields that are black are skipped when navigating with the keyboard (same as titles like Turbo Mode Parameters).
You can see in the first image Turbo Mode is enabled - I can't change it either. If I disable EIST (above) it doesn't make Turbo Mode available to change

edit: The really odd thing, to me anyway, is that under load (and a pretty severe load at that), the CPU should not be throttling down to 3300MHz for 20-90 seconds at a time (on average, sometimes more, never less)

One page I forgot to take a picture of is the current limits. They're set to their maximums of 140%

View attachment 2568666
View attachment 2568665 View attachment 2568667
Disable C1E and report back

EDIT: I thought this was a 9600K, but I guess not, what chip are you running?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Disable C1E and report back

EDIT: I thought this was a 9600K, but I guess not, what chip are you running?
That's my main rig. This one is going to my parents to use in their family room. It's a dual monitor, dual purpose setup. Half general computing (office programs, web browsing), half HTPC.

Obviously one of the displays will be the TV, a 4K Samsung 3DTV from 2014, the other a 2560x1600 LCD on a desk at the back of the room. It's replacing a 13" laptop with 8GB RAM and a 4210u (dual core 2.7GHz with hyperthreading). It's meant to last 5-7 years, which it should be fast enough to

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

I think I had C1E disabled before and it made idle power consumption jump up to 35 watts, about 3x higher than it is now. Since the PC is going to be on more than half the time that wouldn't be good. But I'll try again

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, this might have fixed it (C1E), and without a massive increase in power consumption! (just ~1.5W up from the minimum, which is fine)

I'm going to run P95 large FFT and check back in ~2 hours to see if all's well

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, it's not looking promising.
Rectangle Font Circle Number Screenshot

But, maybe the average will end up being 4598MHz or something

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is after the first 15 minutes after booting (mostly idle)

Rectangle Font Circle Screenshot Number

If my math's right, two cores were at 1600MHz for 7-8 seconds

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And C1E disappeared from monitoring
Font Material property Pattern Number Circle

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,450 Posts
It's been a while since I touched Sandy / Ivy. Maybe share the full results from HWiNFO if you want more help.

Run HWiNFO, hit "log", start P95, run for 20mns, close P95, end/save log, upload log onto google sheets, share link here. This way the forum can comb through the data to see what's happening when frequency drops. The screenshots above don't really help because I don't know what's going on when the freq drops.

If its not throttling due to heat, its probably power... you may have to adjust power limits in the BIOS. I'd start by looking at the manual to see what you can do.

Places to start...

Pg 3-9
Font Number Screenshot Terrestrial plant Document

Font Number

Pg 3-11
Rectangle Font Circle Smile Pattern

I think with a little trial and error, you can figure it out :)

But I have to ask, does it really matter? I mean a web browsing - HTPC system won't draw any load near P95 level. Even then, does it matter if frequency drops for less than 1% of an average load time?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It's been a while since I touched Sandy / Ivy. Maybe share the full results from HWiNFO if you want more help.

Run HWiNFO, hit "log", start P95, run for 20mns, close P95, end/save log, upload log onto google sheets, share link here. This way the forum can comb through the data to see what's happening when frequency drops. The screenshots above don't really help because I don't know what's going on when the freq drops.

If its not throttling due to heat, its probably power... you may have to adjust power limits in the BIOS. I'd start by looking at the manual to see what you can do.

Places to start...

Pg 3-9
View attachment 2568679
View attachment 2568680

Pg 3-11
View attachment 2568678

But I have to ask, does it really matter? I mean a web browsing - HTPC system won't draw any load near P95 level. Even then, does it matter if frequency drops for less than 1% of an average load time?
Thanks for the tips - I'll catch more data and post it. About the current capability - refer to the first picture in Post #3 in this thread for values.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Places to start...

Pg 3-9
View attachment 2568679
View attachment 2568680

Pg 3-11
View attachment 2568678

I missed the last part of your post - yes, it matters - the thing is randomly lowering the frequency and not raising it when there's a load.
The PC will be running Smooth Video Project, a frame interpolation software. To ensure there's no jitter at the settings I've selected, the CPU needs to run at at least 4300MHz (I use the same ones on my machine, a 9600K - past a point there's very diminished returns)

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Log is beginning now - I'll be doing random things on the PC until 5PM EST (10 mins from now), at which point I'll open P95 and run large FFT on all 4 cores for 20 minutes.

I can attach csv files in the forum?

edit: I noticed during an AIDA64 CPU cache benchmark that HWiNFO64 stopped polling (I couldn't see values changing anyway), so I set its priority to "Realtime". Should be good!

I think it affected the result though. RAM looks about right, maybe down 0.2%, but L2 and L3 cache - bandwidth is close to right, a lot more right than the latency, which is usually 2.4ns and 8.3ns.

Doesn't matter, I just find it somewhat odd. HWiNFO64 is polling a lot, and with its polling at 400ms it does appear to take up about 30% of one core's time, so

Font Screenshot Electronic device Multimedia Electric blue

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,450 Posts
You should be able to attach files but google sheets are... easy and dont require software :). More accessible. I didn't see that you set current to 140% so thanks for flagging that in post #3. I saw the other values modified, Thanks for pointing that out.

I didnt read it but you may want to check this Official ASUS P8P67 Series Overclocking Guide and Information

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got distracted writing here - Prime95 got started a couple minutes late, at approximately 17:02:48

Unrelated to what we're doing - how do you like the DDR3? I spent quite a while optimizing it. Of the ones I'm doing (which is all of them but RTR RTW and WTW because they're already all 4,3 or 1), only tRFC isn't finished (it'll be something between 204 and 210 +10 - I'm adding 10 kind of like how you'd add 0.01-0.02V to a CPU's minimum stable overclock voltage)

edit: oops, forgot the timings!

Font Number Parallel Document Symmetry

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've... never used google sheets lol. You don't have OpenOffice installed?
If you get the csv file, can you drag it to your google sheets to open it?

I added an image of RAM timings

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,450 Posts
I have excel, just explaining the value of sheets. You know, its in “the cloud” :)

No comment on the RAM. Hope this all helps you get closer to your goal.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So it's looking like the overall time it's happening for is less. 3 cores dropped to 1600MHz, but one, not at all.

Log is from ~1650 with P95 running from ~1703-1723. I'm going to let another 5 minutes run and then export. Let me know if you're able to open the file in Google

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have excel, just explaining the value of sheets. You know, its in “the cloud” :)

No comment on the RAM. Hope this all helps you get closer to your goal.
Yes, I have Excel, too. Office 2016 Professional Plus!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts