Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a bigger problem i think i fried my CPU or it just got fried on its own i mean every since i got it its beeen running pretty hot, i went through a whole thing of artic cooler and im not joking? so i bought the CPU on newegg how do i go about returning this product and how clean does the cpu have to be im pretty new to this, and i know i burned the cpu up becuase i put it in my other machine and it would not turn on like it does , it all started when i tried to play war of rights got all up to the screen than my computer just shuts off and i have ben having trouble ever since this all happened today so any help would be awesome..

·
Premium Member
15,028 Posts
Remove CPU, clean TIM, package, RMA.

Which kind of CPU is it?

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,786 Posts
We need more info on the hardware in your build.

Now how did you fry the CPU?

Why was it or why did you let it run on high temps? CPUs should not fry on high temps since protective circuitry should either throttle the CPU or just shut down the machine, however there is no guarantees. Did you run it on high temps for an extended period? Did you OC? Did you test temps after you installed the CPU (idle/load)?

Again, how and why did this happen?

·
Premium Member
15,028 Posts
All I need to know is AMD or Intel.

:lachen:

Intel RMA is great! They're American, even! :lachen:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We need more info on the hardware in your build.

Now how did you fry the CPU?

Why was it or why did you let it run on high temps? CPUs should not fry on high temps since protective circuitry should either throttle the CPU or just shut down the machine, however there is no guarantees. Did you run it on high temps for an extended period? Did you OC? Did you test temps after you installed the CPU (idle/load)?

Again, how and why did this happen?
i have a ryzen 3900x just built the machine i got it working 2 days ago, i had trouble getting the machine to start which was a few bent prongs on the CPU, so i carefully bent them back reserted put more artic cooler on and BAM the machine is alive, now fast forward 2 days today i was about to play war of rights than my computer shuts off so i do the whole shabam nothing is loose or anything, i have done it over 10 times the mother board turns on but when u press the power button nothing happens, i have another AMD computer which has a ryzen 3 in it, so i put that in the new machine hell yeah computer turns on but no display and the error code is a 02 i looked theres not much help on it, but it also kinda says that the motherboard is dead because my I/o Cover panel still never worked but the MB does turn on and than it seems like it goes in a sleep mode if i leave it on for a sec, and yes ever since i put the machine together i think i have had high temps and i wasn't really doing anything i haven't really been gaming or anything so pretty high idle temps i have seated this cpu alot and used alot of artic cooler :/ by cleaning it back and forth ;/ if anything i might have to replace the MB and CPU??

i have a
ryzen 9 3900x
MSI ace x570
5700xt SP sapphire
32gb ram]\
corsair 750W cx V2
1tb nvme ssd

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
Maybe put the CPU on that 2nd motherboard and see which is dead.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Maybe put the CPU on that 2nd motherboard and see which is dead.
Oh i did forgot to mention this, the computer does not start up when i put the 3900x in this machine!

i think imma have to RMA the CPU and MB or before i start doing that stuff should i take it to Geek Squad or a computer place to check it out because it was running FINE besides the high temps and the I/O cover?

·
Premium Member
15,028 Posts
Ay yi yi, AMD + MSI

Big chip, too.

Here's my worthless opinion:

MSI motherboard chokes are too weak for hefty-duty AMD CPUs.

Idk about that cx 750 as well, it should be single rail..I would think..that's right..I would think..

Ditch the MSI motherboard and get Giga, Asus, or AsRock..not necessarily in that order. My go-to when it comes to AMD is always Crosshair. Has not let me down yet. Had every one except 6 and 8

Multiples of several versions.

This is just my opinion.

AMD MSI overclocking..LOL!

What is Greg's handle? Boards a'poppin' n stuff. :lachen:
The livestreamed AMD/MSI OC event..

Geek Squad isn't going to help if your CPU is dead.

·
Premium Member
15,028 Posts
Here's one that should work with your chip, but I don't like that seller's rating..wait one..
edit* Low seller rating

This one looks better:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-ROG-Crosshair-VII-Hero-X470-ATX-AMD-AM4-Motherboard-Ryzen-3000-Ready/124110160123?hash=item1ce58ac0fb:g:ZJoAAOSwJedeY-9K&LH_BIN=1

I think you should try a different mobo.

Holy crap that MSI is expensive, it says it has good chokes and it better for that price!

I still say try a Crosshair and make sure your cooler is seated good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here's one that should work with your chip, but I don't like that seller's rating..wait one..
edit* Low seller rating

This one looks better:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-ROG-Crosshair-VII-Hero-X470-ATX-AMD-AM4-Motherboard-Ryzen-3000-Ready/124110160123?hash=item1ce58ac0fb:g:ZJoAAOSwJedeY-9K&LH_BIN=1

I think you should try a different mobo.

Holy crap that MSI is expensive, it says it has good chokes and it better for that price!

I still say try a Crosshair and make sure your cooler is seated good.
so stay away from the x570 and go with a x470? or that ASUS? and tbh imma just buy new?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quick question. What do you mean you went through a whole thing of Arctic Cooler? What CPU cooler do you have?

Oh and the MSI X570 MEG Ace is a great board. There is nothing wrong with the power capabilities of that board. Go read some reviews on it or the Unify, which is the same board with a few less features.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,786 Posts
Before you RMA the mobo, use your working Ryzen 3 CPU to see if you also damaged the mobo in the process of "installing/fixing" your 3900x.

I don't think your fix was permanent. Reexamine those bent pins. If you decide to RMA, you will need to resolve your heat issues (case, airflow, paste/mounting) before you introduce any new components into your system.

·
Premium Member
15,028 Posts
so stay away from the x570 and go with a x470? or that ASUS? and tbh imma just buy new?
There really shouldn't be anything wrong with that MSI board..x470-x570 doesn't matter if you use Win10, I was just looking for cheap+durable+compatible.
That MSI should be plenty durable.

I think you need to do some diagnosing before you plug something into something else that kills it.

Maybe try a cheap chip..borrow or buy one then sell off later. Would not rule PSU out yet, either.

You never know, you could have had some kinda lightning strike or somebody hit a power pole while you were sleeping.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Quick question. What do you mean you went through a whole thing of Arctic Cooler? What CPU cooler do you have?

Oh and the MSI X570 MEG Ace is a great board. There is nothing wrong with the power capabilities of that board. Go read some reviews on it or the Unify, which is the same board with a few less features.
When i mean i went through a whole thing of ATRic cooler i took my CPU off and cleaned it evrytime! well over 10-15 times ;/ like i said when i first put it together i was having heat issues 90c at idle???? ,and the BOARD works it turns on just when i put my 3900x into nothing happens, but i have a ryzen 3 that i have tried putting on the board the whole machine turns ON but than goes in a sleep mode gives me an error code 02 ,and the ONLY thing wrong with THIS MOBO is the I./o cover RGB does not work , I have carefully bent all the pins back on my NEW ryzen 3900x and made sure before i pull that lever down near the cpu that the cpu is snug i dont push it down or anything but make sure it fits right so no bent pins, i just got some alcohol cus i kinda got a bit of ARTIC cooler on the bottom of the chip because i kept taking it on an off trying to get the best fit and all but i cleaned it all pretty nice and still nothing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There really shouldn't be anything wrong with that MSI board..x470-x570 doesn't matter if you use Win10, I was just looking for cheap+durable+compatible.
That MSI should be plenty durable.

I think you need to do some diagnosing before you plug something into something else that kills it.

Maybe try a cheap chip..borrow or buy one then sell off later. Would not rule PSU out yet, either.

You never know, you could have had some kinda lightning strike or somebody hit a power pole while you were sleeping.
i started up war of rights from steam last night around 8 than bam just shuts off , its only started up once but had a solid red light so i took it apart put it together and thats all she wrote has not turned over since? but the board comes on?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Before you RMA the mobo, use your working Ryzen 3 CPU to see if you also damaged the mobo in the process of "installing/fixing" your 3900x.

I don't think your fix was permanent. Reexamine those bent pins. If you decide to RMA, you will need to resolve your heat issues (case, airflow, paste/mounting) before you introduce any new components into your system.

I definitely need more fans i have 1 120mm in back than 2 120 mm fans in front and i have the 600s phanteks case is beautiful lol

·
Premium Member
15,028 Posts
I definitely need more fans i have 1 120mm in back than 2 120 mm fans in front and i have the 600s phanteks case is beautiful lol
I'd clean an old toothbrush and use that on the socket with some alcohol.

This heightens risk of bending pins, but you could put a chip in/take it out a few times in case some TIM got in the socket. Make sure power is unplugged, flood socket with alcohol..put/pull cpu several times then make sure all alcohol is evaporated before firing up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'd clean an old toothbrush and use that on the socket with some alcohol.

This heightens risk of bending pins, but you could put a chip in/take it out a few times in case some TIM got in the socket. Make sure power is unplugged, flood socket with alcohol..put/pull cpu several times then make sure all alcohol is evaporated before firing up.
ok tbh i have 70 percent alcohol and 100 percent acetone will that be fine? and nothing is even hooked up atm..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
ok I CLEANED it up really good and the computer turns on now i have a solid light on so damn almost there guess the cpu isnt fried but i dont have it in its case atm but im doing it carefully going to dissect now to figure out whats wrong. its a solid red light near the ATX power plug in at first the GPU turned on i believe but atm the GPU is not turning on i have checked cables they all seem fine :/

1 - 20 of 73 Posts