Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one give us a clear picture of CPU FSB, Mobo FSB and RAM FSB? and how do they work together?

My processor is a 1600Mhz FSB and my mobo is 800mhz FSB and my Ram is 400mhz!

Now... I am getting a little bit confused here, what should the cpu be running at, half? and should the mobo be also running half 'cause of the ram? wont that leave me with a 1600mhz FSB CPU which is running at 400mhz?

sorry for the noob question but I lost my trail some were along the line here

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Your CPU is quad pumped.... So divide 1600 by 4 and you get 400Mhz. Often some parts will be faster then others, this is called a bootleg.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Common Motherboard Layout:

Processor:
(Bottom)

(Top)

Memory:

Video Card:

Heatsink (goes on top of processor)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi

Your CPU is quad pumped.... So divide 1600 by 4 and you get 400Mhz. Often some parts will be faster then others, this is called a bootleg.

I think that made it worse....lol

Dont worry about your CPU 1600 speed.

Your HTT (dont think of FSB) is 800.
Your memory is DDR400, divide in half, your memory runs at 200mhz.
Your cpu frequency default is 200, which is your memory speed.
your cpu uses a x10 multiplier to equal 2,000mhz. 200x10

When you increase your FSB (200) to say 220, that means your cpu is now 220x10= 2200mhz.
But at the same time, you are increasing your memory speed to 220.

Sometimes memory cant run that fast, but your cpu can, so this is where a "memory divider" comes in.
Your cpu still runs 220x10, you cant change that...but if you use a divider...you can slow your memory down to 200 again..so its back to default.

Your HTT speed 800, cannot be changed, that is your motherboard limit.
You have a HTT multiplier that is default x4.
How this works is take your cpu speed (200) X 4(HTT multi) = 800 htt speed.
You want your cpu (200) multiplied by your HTT multi (x4) to equal as close to 800 as possible

When you overclock, you increase your cpu speed (200). Say you increase it to 250. That means if you are not using a memory divider, your memory is also running at 250.
But you need your HTT multi (x4) to equal as close to 800 as possible. So your cpu speed (250) x4(htt) = 1000. That's too high. So you decrease your HTT multi to x3.
So your cpu speed now (250) and your HTT multi X3 = 750. Close enough to 800.
Your HTT multiplier speed (750) has no effect on performance. The multiplier just needs to be set close to the 800 HTT speed.

I hope this makes sense, I tried...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes that makes alot of sence now thanks, but i still need some more

I am running my cpu now at (220) x5 multiplier which is giving me a reading of 2.2Ghz ~pc3300 for the cpu and 440mhz for the ram, I oced it to (225) x5 and reached 2.25 ~pc3400 but i couldn't go over (225)x5 because it kept blacking out.

Should i go on lower higher FSB and lower multiplier to reach higher speeds?

PS: "pauldovi" dude i think you posted in the wrong thread

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
read my post, he is not explaining it in a manner which you understand, hell, i dont even understand it..

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Here's a simple way

HTT x CPU Clock = FSB
(CPU Clock = RAM MHz) x 2 = RAM Speed (usually a 200MHz Clock x 2 = DDR400)<- Stock

Anything else you need to do this
(CPU Clock x "Divider") x 2 = RAM Speed

CPU Clock x Multiplier = CPU Speed "in GHz"

Everything is tied into the CPU clock, the only things you need to change at first is your HTT and Multiplier settings, once you get higher you'll need t drop the RAM clock (aka Divider) and continue from there

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

read my post, he is not explaining it in a manner which you understand, hell, i dont even understand it..

He gave you the intel way, not the AMD way.. Yea, Gator gave you the simple answer and Ty gave you the more complex answer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CPU clock x Multiplier = cpu in Ghz?..... dude i have 220x5 and its reading 2.2Ghz, that is totaly wrong! know math
220x5 is ~1.1Ghz

AMD cpu and MSI k8neo3 mobo

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
make sure you Disable Cool n quiet in the bios...that's why it's x5. cool n quiet cuts your cpu multiplier in half. And it should be disabled when overclocking, obviously.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

make sure you Disable Cool n quiet in the bios...that's why it's x5. cool n quiet cuts your cpu multiplier in half. And it should be disabled when overclocking, obviously.

cool'n quite is disabled

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by linking

CPU clock x Multiplier = cpu in Ghz?..... dude i have 220x5 and its reading 2.2Ghz, that is totaly wrong! know math
220x5 is ~1.1Ghz

AMD cpu and MSI k8neo3 mobo

You're calculating the HTT not the Multiplier. 220x5 = 1100MHz which is a little high for a FSB but ok

FSB is typically calculated in MHz not GHz

Multiplier typcially do not default to 5x, HTT do however, your CPU speed is probably 2.2GHz because I think 3000+ only have a 10x multiplier if it's 11x then you'll be 2.42 GHz

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:

cool'n quite is disabled

where are you reading the x5 multiplier, make sure that isn't your HTT multiplier. It should be your CPU multiplier.
Your mobo should have 2 multipliers, the cpu (x10) and the HTT (x4)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

where are you reading the x5 multiplier, make sure that isn't your HTT multiplier. It should be your CPU multiplier.
Your mobo should have 2 multipliers, the cpu (x10) and the HTT (x4)

i see, i will take a fast look on my bios settings and brb!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
now i put everything to stock setting!

CPU FSB Frequency (200)
HT Frequency (4x)
HT width (16x16)
PCI-E clock (100mhz)
CPU Ratio (AUTO)

current cpu clock 2021mhz
current DDR clock 201mhz
--------------------------------------

I used :

CPU FSB Frequency (220)
HT Frequency (5x)
HT width (16x16)
PCI-E clock (100mhz)
CPU Ratio (AUTO)

and it ran on cpu clock 2200mhz
and ........... DDR clock 220mhz

what is the best way to OC my system now? go lower HT Frequency and higher CPU FSB Frequency or what?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Run a divider. Start upping the CPU Clock until you get to a point around 1000MHz FSB then lower the HTT, and up the clock.

You should be fine with a 10x multiplier, jsut drop the RAM first becasue if you dont you wont be able to POST and you'll have to reset the CMOS. Find a good clock that you want to stay at.

I hear you can get 2.6 easily 260MHz CPU clockwith a HTT at 4x and you'll be fine. When you have hat setting and it POSTs ok then change the divider settings and RAM timings to fin tune. Or go higher

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:

I used :

CPU FSB Frequency (220)
HT Frequency (5x)
HT width (16x16)
PCI-E clock (100mhz)
CPU Ratio (AUTO)

Ok, set it this way

CPU freq...220
HT frequency (HTT multi) X4
HT width, you dont ever change this...(16/16)
PCI-E clock 100.....you dont ever change this either
CPU ratio (CPU multiplier) X10......try to not let anything be set to auto..

It looks like you were changing your HTT multi, when you thought it was your CPU multi..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Ok, set it this way

CPU freq...220
HT frequency (HTT multi) X4
HT width, you dont ever change this...(16/16)
PCI-E clock 100.....you dont ever change this either
CPU ratio (CPU multiplier) X10......try to not let anything be set to auto..

It looks like you were changing your HTT multi, when you thought it was your CPU multi..

yes i guess i was doing that
.... I will use your settings! but that will give me a 2.2Ghz right? so to go up to lets say 2.4 i have to leave everything else but the CPU frequency.

240x10 CPU and leave the rest?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorLCA

You should be fine, may have to drop the RAM a little bit or loosen up the timings,

where to drop the ram a little bit? take it out of the case and drop it on the street? just kidding mate! but where to drop the ram? my ram timing is 2T
:withstupi

1 - 20 of 51 Posts