Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE

Well at the moment my 3.4ghz morthwood is running at 200fsb what is the max i could run it at with no problems....my memory is running at 333mhz if that helps

There is really no way to give you an exact answer. It all depends on the chip itself, how well the mobo will OC, the kind of cooling you have, how stable the PSU is, etc. If I had to guess, I would say on good air cooling, at least 230Mhz and maybe more depending on all the variables (I don't recommend cranking it up to 230Mhz right away. You still need to take it step by step.). I do have one question for you, why are you running you memory at 333Mhz? You have PC3200 RAM, so you need to be running it at 400Mhz, so it will be at 1:1 ratio with the CPU.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

THE reason im running ram at 333mhz is because i have 2 sticks of pc3200 and one at pc 2700

EEEW, That will hurt your performance. Have you ever tried just running the PC3200 without the PC2700 and run in dual channel if you mobo supports it? Benchmark both of them and see which gives better performance.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

I will be upgrading to a gig soon but the weird thing is as soon as i added the extra 256 i got a quite a good boost in system performance, so are you saying that i could up my cpu fsb 2 230?

It is possible, Just have to take it slow. Watch the temps and do it step by step. IMO, the one thing that will probably hurt you first is that stick of PC2700. Once you get to it's OC'ing limits, you are stuck there. You are already running with a divider, any lower on the memory frequency will hurt you IMO.

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
i agree, with the same ram you will have better performance (im running 3 diff speeds but close enough to not notice anything much. (2100 2000 2200) also, if you can oc your ram it would help even more.. ive done that with every part that can oc easily. Doom 3 is my benchmark to find out cpu, gpu, and ram stress (found out a bad graphics card) luckly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts