Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look... hp is crap, I know. It's an in-between-hand-me-down -- and at any rate, they recently replaced the heatsink and supposedly the motherboard as well.

It was overheating, like the dv2000 is famous for.

In the process, however, they did something -- in the registry or somewhere else within winxp -- that makes it detect my 1.83GHz as 2.42GHz.

'Awesome! Extra speed!', right? Wrong.

The BIOS still recognizes the correct speed at 1.83, so the 'speed gain' is false.

Also there is no Cool 'n Quiet going on, nor is there Speed Step.

And yes, it DOES affect games -- anything using nVidia GPU runs at high normal fps, but in -slow motion-. Smooth, slow motion, yes... but making everything pretty unplayable.

It detects it as such in every place: the registry, under the ~HARDWARE/DESCRIPTION/CentralProcessor/0/~MHz DWORD thingy, and every other tool that gets the cpu info from CPUID (e.g. dxdiag, msconfig, etc.)

How in the blazes do I correct this without doing a system restore? I KNOW there is a way to do it without resorting to that catastrophe.

Please, you brilliant, brilliant people: HELP!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
**Note:

I should note that I at least don't -see- any options in my BIOS for 'Cool 'n Quiet' or any such technology. Could hp, in efforts to idiot-proof the computer, have somehow hidden said adjustments?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
***I've been browsing around teh tubez... and uh... the prospect doesn't look good.

Apparently hp cheats their customers and 'repairs' the laptops by underclocking the nVidia GPU and tweaking the processor as well -- though I still think that there must be SOME way to get WinXP to recognize the right speed by changing a line or a string or a hex value SOMEWHERE.

But where!?? How!?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts