Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I woke up this morning and realised my computer had frozen (I usually leave it on overnight) and the CPU fan on my Zalman 9700 CNPS had stopped spinning. When it froze, the CPU temperatures were fairly low as usual, around 30-35 degrees, so I can't imagine it was because of overheating. Could the fan suddenly not working have caused the lockup?

I have tried unplugging the cable that leads to the fan, but plugging it in again didn't work. I've stress tested with Prime95 and my temperatures are fine, almost as good as before.
My question is; if I despite your finest advice can not get it to work, is it okay if I just run my PC without it aslong as my temperatures are okay, until I can get a new fan?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I don't see why not. If your temps are staying under the threshold then then you should be ok. There are plenty of fan-less heatsinks anyway.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaky View Post

So I woke up this morning and realised my computer had frozen (I usually leave it on overnight) and the CPU fan on my Zalman 9700 CNPS had stopped spinning. When it froze, the CPU temperatures were fairly low as usual, around 30-35 degrees, so I can't imagine it was because of overheating. Could the fan suddenly not working have caused the lockup?
I have tried unplugging the cable that leads to the fan, but plugging it in again didn't work. I've stress tested with Prime95 and my temperatures are fine, almost as good as before.
My question is; if I despite your finest advice can not get it to work, is it okay if I just run my PC without it aslong as my temperatures are okay, until I can get a new fan?
I would not advise this. The motherboard will know that the fan is not spinning as it does a check to see if the CPU fan is turning at a reasonable speed which is determined by the motherboard, however i've ran a TRUE cooler without a fan in the past. Some other issue could have caused the lock up issue. Make sure your Temps are fine and check the bios to see if you can disable any auto management on the CPU FAN until you buy new. If you can make do without the PC till you get better cooling, then leave it.

(For safety reasons i can't tell you to use the PC, but from experience, just check your BIOS for CPU FAN settings to remove any warning that are trying to tell you that the fan is not connected or spinning and double check your temps and you should be fine).

• Rep+
Reactions: Goaky

·
Registered
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hednik View Post

I don't see why not. If your temps are staying under the threshold then then you should be ok. There are plenty of fan-less heatsinks anyway.
I second above.

As long as temps are ok there shouldn't be a problem. If you have a few case fans installed it sounds like they might be moving the air flow around enough.

but I myself wouldn't feel safe running mine without a fan running.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the fast replies. I'll make sure to look around BIOS and see what I can find. I don't feel like I can make do without my glorious rig, so I figure I'll just grab a new heatsink ASAP and hope for the best!
+REP

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
If the temps are as you say, and you are not doing any "task intensive" work, then it's fine. Just curious, does the zalman fan work in another fan header? Might want to check the fan header before plugging another fan into it.

·
Aussie Overclocker
2,791 Posts
+1 for trying it on another header before you get a new heatsink

1 - 7 of 7 Posts