Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,

my friends has a dfi 875-p and a intel 640 all running stock speeds, home built, recentlly, the cpu is idling at 41%,his frame rates in source have dropped from 150+ to 60 dropping to the 20's, we thought maybe spyware so we reinstalled xp, still happened, we thought maybe a hacker, so we dis connected the internet cabel, still happened, yesterday, i remembered about i had the same problem, and turned out the cpu liked the thermal throttling high, so he turned it up, nothing, turned it off, and it was all fine, he gone away from it yesterday, turned it on 2day, its started doing it again, he checked the bios, thermal throttling is still turned off, have you got ay ideas? we really dont know now,

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
He might have spyware running in the background. Tell him to run an anti-spyware program in safe mode.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Check your task manager to see what program is drawing that 41% of usage.

Could be some sort of virus or spyware, or maybe some program thats running that you dont know about..

Ohh, and that thermal throttling option in bios does nothing to turn off TM. That is a protection built into the cpu, and you can't turn it off. I've tried and tried.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It may be named to look like a system process to so be careful with that. Id pull up your task manager and google all the processes to find out what they are. There are some virii or spyware that like to hang out as a .sys named as a windows system process file in the processes tab.

·
Registered
556 Posts
check to see what your page file is set at mabey [email protected]
start
control panel
system
advanced
performance settings
advanced
pagefile : ## MB
change

(your max should be about 1.5 times your physical ram)
(your initial should be about the same as your physical ram)

i dunno if that will helm but it should relieve some stress off your cpu if you have 1Gb or more of ram

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.