Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a new 3 gig Prescott proc with HT it only shows up as a 1.5 gig. my mombo is a MSI p4mam-V. it supports prescott.. any help?

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
your motherboard doesnt support 800mhz FSB

so im guessing its defaulting to 100 x 15 which is 1.5ghz

your going to need a new mobo...

or a new proc...

your mobo supports prescotts with the A letter not E

E prescotts are all 800mhz fsb and A are all 400mhz

by the way if your looking for a good mobo dont get the abit IS7, its had problems with prescotts also...

Sorry bout the problem

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

your motherboard doesnt support 800mhz FSB

so im guessing its defaulting to 100 x 15 which is 1.5ghz

your going to need a new mobo...

or a new proc...

your mobo supports prescotts with the A letter not E

by the way if your looking for a good mobo dont get the abit IS7, its had problems with prescotts also...

Sorry bout the problem

the box says precott E, with 800FSB.. strange

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

The "A" Prescotts are 533 fsb

And you could always try to overclock the board to 200fsb.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
thanks london i just didnt feel like looking it up

i knew that when he said its saposed to be a 3.0 and its running at 1.5

i knew it was his mobo... i just threw all that other stuff out there

now i look stupid LoL but i was still right about his mobo not supporting the 800mhz fsb

So what????

anyways tanks so he needs to return it and get a 3.06ghz

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

The "A" Prescotts are 533 fsb

And you could always try to overclock the board to 200fsb.

Overclocking to get to stock speeds? Well thats a new one! lol
BUT, wouldn't that just totally kill the motherboard by having that much power moving through the lines (mabobys in the PCB for transporting data) that are only able to handle 533mhz?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

BUT, wouldn't that just totally kill the motherboard by having that much power moving through the lines (mabobys in the PCB for transporting data) that are only able to handle 533mhz?

Yeah, it probably would kill it. But it would be fun trying anyway!
That's what I would do. Seriously though, you should probably take back the mobo and get a new one, such as an Abit IC7 series, Asus P4P or P4C series, or DFI 875 chipset mobo.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
if i were you i would try and up the FSB to 200Mhz (double the mobo FSB). You'll need to get a new board anyway so you might aswell for fun, it wont damage your CPU at all.

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just put my 2.8 back in and o'cd it to 3.4 so things are good.. of corse now im havin worse issues with bsod's... stupid computer pain in the butt

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

Yeah, it probably would kill it. But it would be fun trying anyway!
That's what I would do. Seriously though, you should probably take back the mobo and get a new one, such as an Abit IC7 series, Asus P4P or P4C series, or DFI 875 chipset mobo.

I bet if you actually did that though, you would probably see visible scaring of the mobo's pipelines.. I saw that on a review of a P4 3.4EE running on a crap motherboard. They had it running a 1000mhz FSB when the mobo was only made for 533mhz. When they pulled it out, the motherboard had burn marks on the pipelines, and the northbridge was fried, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

I bet if you actually did that though, you would probably see visible scaring of the mobo's pipelines.. I saw that on a review of a P4 3.4EE running on a crap motherboard. They had it running a 1000mhz FSB when the mobo was only made for 533mhz. When they pulled it out, the motherboard had burn marks on the pipelines, and the northbridge was fried, lol.

Really? Wow, that would be pretty cool to watch

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hehe i need christmas cash then ill get one for 100 bucks.. the msi is doin very well.. but i feel stupid.. whats better? high or low vcore?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts