Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

I own a 4790k with a Corsair H110i GT, running at stock speeds (auto boost 4.4Ghz) and i tried to stress test the CPU with Prime95. Within 4 seconds the CPU temp is literally jumping to 100c. Is this normal? Doesn't the CPU need about a minute to reach such a high temp? Also, isn't this temp too high? Could the readings be wrong? I use the Open Hardware Monitor and the Corsair Link 4 software, both showing the same temps.

Idle temp on the CPU is about 28c and while gaming it fluctuates from about 40-50c.

EDIT: I found in another forum a person suggesting the below:

"Do NOT use any Prime95 versions later than 26.6. Here's why:

Core i 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95 run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures. The FPU test in the software utility AIDA64 shows the same results.

Prime95 v26.6 produces temperatures on 3rd and 4th Generation processors more consistent with 2nd Generation, which also have AVX instructions, but do not suffer from thermal extremes due to having a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader and a 35% larger Die.

Please download Prime95 version 26.6 - http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.htm

Please run only Small FFT’s for 10 minutes.

Your Core temperatures will test 10 to 20C lower."

I downloaded the 26.6 version and max temp was 78c.

So, were the CPU temp readings incorrect? I'm not sure i fully understood.

·
dontworkSundysormedaysoff
229 Posts
Water cooling, jumping instantly to insane temperatures could mean poor contact on the cpu, it may be worth re-seating the cooler and making sure there isn't any obstruction causing the poor contact

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Water cooling, jumping instantly to insane temperatures could mean poor contact on the cpu, it may be worth re-seating the cooler and making sure there isn't any obstruction causing the poor contact
Alright, I will try it. But why is there a difference between the two versions of Prime95?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi!

I own a 4790k with a Corsair H110i GT, running at stock speeds (auto boost 4.4Ghz) and i tried to stress test the CPU with Prime95. Within 4 seconds the CPU temp is literally jumping to 100c. Is this normal? Doesn't the CPU need about a minute to reach such a high temp? Also, isn't this temp too high? Could the readings be wrong? I use the Open Hardware Monitor and the Corsair Link 4 software, both showing the same temps.

Idle temp on the CPU is about 28c and while gaming it fluctuates from about 40-50c.

EDIT: I found in another forum a person suggesting the below:

"Do NOT use any Prime95 versions later than 26.6. Here's why:

Core i 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95 run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures. The FPU test in the software utility AIDA64 shows the same results.

Prime95 v26.6 produces temperatures on 3rd and 4th Generation processors more consistent with 2nd Generation, which also have AVX instructions, but do not suffer from thermal extremes due to having a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader and a 35% larger Die.

Please download Prime95 version 26.6 - http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.htm

Please run only Small FFT’s for 10 minutes.

Your Core temperatures will test 10 to 20C lower."

I downloaded the 26.6 version and max temp was 78c.

So, were the CPU temp readings incorrect? I'm not sure i fully understood.
The 4790k can be a pig of a CPU. I had one much like yours and I had to undervolt it to stop it overheating on even small stress levels. The only answer for me was to delid. But after doing that it was a very strong CPU.

·
dontworkSundysormedaysoff
229 Posts
AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures.
That's why... but still worth checking the cooler is seated correctly

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 4790k can be a pig of a CPU. I had one much like yours and I had to undervolt it to stop it overheating on even small stress levels. The only answer for me was to delid. But after doing that it was a very strong CPU.
Its 1.283v on 4.4Ghz. I never OC'd the CPU i wasn't really comfortable with OC.

Is the voltage high for its stock speed?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,197 Posts

That seems really high. I'm currently running my 4790K at 4.6/1.19V. if I recall correctly, it never crosses 1.15 at stock speeds and BIOS on auto.

·
Registered
109 Posts

I found with my mobo (AsRock fatality pro z97) my default voltage was 1.23v but I could lower it to about 1.18v and still be stable. Couldn't OC either. After delidding I could OC to 4.8 running 24/7 and stress it for hrs and rarely see temps above 60c on a 280mm AIO. Voltage was around 1.285v. I think the whole Prime 95 thing is a distraction. The problem is your CPU. I wouldn't even bother with Prime 95, stick with AIDA 64. If you delid that CPU I would bet the TIM is dry and gritty. Change that out for some CLU or Conductonaut and you will find an instant change. Make sure you cover those micro caps inside with some nail polish or some none conductive thermal silicone before applying liquid metal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I found with my mobo (AsRock fatality pro z97) my default voltage was 1.23v but I could lower it to about 1.18v and still be stable. Couldn't OC either. After delidding I could OC to 4.8 running 24/7 and stress it for hrs and rarely see temps above 60c on a 280mm AIO. Voltage was around 1.285v. I think the whole Prime 95 thing is a distraction. The problem is your CPU. I wouldn't even bother with Prime 95, stick with AIDA 64. If you delid that CPU I would bet the TIM is dry and gritty. Change that out for some CLU or Conductonaut and you will find an instant change. Make sure you cover those micro caps inside with some nail polish or some none conductive thermal silicone before applying liquid metal.
Tbh, its not necessary for me to delid or OC my CPU, i use my PC for regular gaming, watching movies, etc. It performs really well, i never experienced and slow performance. I'll try to lower the voltage but i gotta learn how to do it first :p

EDIT: Correct me if i am wrong but doesn't the RAM frequency and timings affect the voltage of the CPU? I have 2x8gb 2400mhz C10 memory at 1.65v (XMP enabled). If i used lower frequency ram (and higher timings), i suppose i would have less voltage on the CPU. Unfortunately i don't own other memory. I will disable the XMP profile and let it on auto and then see how the voltage goes (i think it defaults at 1866mhz without XMP). If still the voltage doesn't drop, i will try and lower it myself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Tbh, its not necessary for me to delid or OC my CPU, i use my PC for regular gaming, watching movies, etc. It performs really well, i never experienced and slow performance. I'll try to lower the voltage but i gotta learn how to do it first :p

EDIT: Correct me if i am wrong but doesn't the RAM frequency and timings affect the voltage of the CPU? I have 2x8gb 2400mhz C10 memory at 1.65v (XMP enabled). If i used lower frequency ram (and higher timings), i suppose i would have less voltage on the CPU. Unfortunately i don't own other memory. I will disable the XMP profile and let it on auto and then see how the voltage goes (i think it defaults at 1866mhz without XMP). If still the voltage doesn't drop, i will try and lower it myself.
You shouldn't have any issues lowering your core voltage with that ram. I was running 2400mhz Kingston Beast with mine. You wont lower your VCore by dropping your XMP. You will find it in the same place your XMP is anyway. It will be called VCore or Core Voltage. Lower it to about 1.18v. But this will not fix your problem and it will still overheat on a stress test. Having said that, if you aren't confident with computers to a reasonable to degree it is wise you do not attempt to delid anyway.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,197 Posts

Ah, I forgot to mention XMP. Enabling it on my rig sends temps and voltage through the roof. Yet, I can set the RAM timings manually with no issues.

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts
Hi,
Myself and two other friends have had h110i gt's pump fail
All three were bought April 2015 so if yours was bought in that time frame the pump is probably failing :)

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Even with AVX at 1.4v it shouldn't be that hot, the mount is bad or the cooler is dead.
Why are you stress testing a stock clocked CPU? No the ram frequency doesn't change the CPUs voltage...you really need to read this:
http://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1411077-haswell-overclocking-guide-statistics.html

Not sure what's going on with your voltage, on the off chance anything else was changed you should restore defaults before manually setting stock CPU, cahce and advertised RAM voltage, speed and timing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,
Myself and two other friends have had h110i gt's pump fail
All three were bought April 2015 so if yours was bought in that time frame the pump is probably failing :)
Hi. I bought it in July 2015. It has a warranty of 5 years so if it fails i am covered. I bought an air cooler a week ago just in case.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Even with AVX at 1.4v it shouldn't be that hot, the mount is bad or the cooler is dead.
Why are you stress testing a stock clocked CPU? No the ram frequency doesn't change the CPUs voltage...you really need to read this:
http://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1411077-haswell-overclocking-guide-statistics.html

Not sure what's going on with your voltage, on the off chance anything else was changed you should restore defaults before manually setting stock CPU, cahce and advertised RAM voltage, speed and timing.
Thank you, i will check it out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You shouldn't have any issues lowering your core voltage with that ram. I was running 2400mhz Kingston Beast with mine. You wont lower your VCore by dropping your XMP. You will find it in the same place your XMP is anyway. It will be called VCore or Core Voltage. Lower it to about 1.18v. But this will not fix your problem and it will still overheat on a stress test. Having said that, if you aren't confident with computers to a reasonable to degree it is wise you do not attempt to delid anyway.
I wasn't planning to :) I don't feel comfortable to delid my CPU.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts